Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Is there some simple way to create a UV map?

I know complex modeling programs like blender can do this but is there some nice and simple way to create a UV maps for models for me to edit inside a program of my choice?

What program are you using ?

EDIT : to elaborate, depends on whether your program can edit a model UVs.

Edited by dmg_64

I am using Misfit 3D but it's texturing/UV abilities appear to be rather limited.

EDIT: I won't be using Misfit for texturing though. I got a bunch of different programs I am considering to use for that. I might even consider using substance painter though that seems like overkill for a simple 3D model since they are intended for use in Doom.

Blender is the simplest program I used in term of UV mapping, not complex at all, you just mark seams and Unwrap your mesh, much simpler than 3DS Max, you can then manually move and scale your UV islands from the UV editor, almost as easy changing a texture offset on GZDB except with more choices.

Alternatively you can use Smart UV Project to auto generate UVs if you don't want to paint texture and don't want to deal with Marking seams though this one is going to be confusing to get textures properly aligned.

I found this to be a real headache too but one tutorial I went by was this one....

You make the seams on the edges that will open up. Gather your texture and imagine it in 3D, then imagine you unfolding it like one of those cubes made of paper and place all the graphics as if you have flattened it out. Then in Blender once you make the seams on the model, your imported texture should fit the unfolded/uv unwrapped model. Some fitting may be needed but otherwise that's how I had done it....I have probably explained this in the worst way possible. I'm sort of new to it myself.