Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doommarine_maxi

What's the Doom do you like more?, and what's the one you dislike most?

1 hour ago, Don_Faparotti said:

DOOM 2016: Amazing. Best FPS shooter campaign since Half-Life 2. Most people won't admit it because they can't let go of the past.

Or maybe they just don't like it. It's almost as if people had different opinions! :o

Doom 2 is my fav. It has all the things Doom 1 had but it added more, and it worked so well. The addition of the SSG and the new baddies alone made the game feel totally different than it's predecessor. Also the level design is bigger and better, for the most part, and overall there was boost in difficulty. Doom 1 Hurt Me Plenty is much easier than Doom 2 Hurt Me Plenty, but that is just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, KVELLER said:

Or maybe they just don't like it. It's almost as if people had different opinions! :o

Sure there are some that simply don't like it. By the same token, there are others that actually do enjoy it/won't admit or simply flat out refuse to play it because love is blinding. 

1 hour ago, Don_Faparotti said:

Don't mind him. He's just trying to suck up to the DOOM Gods. 

I would be one of those people who don't dislike any of the Doom games, I find them all to be good in one way or another, even if I have some personal preferences like TNT over Plutonia or DOOM (2016) over Ultimate Doom. Still, it's the fun that counts for someone's personal experience.

I dislike Doom 3 the most but I don't like admitting it. I still enjoy it. But I enjoyed the leaked alpha more.

Doom 2 wins cause of the extra content and first 6 or so levels

I don't really dislike any of the main games, though the classic series holds the best game play and I think will outlive all of the full-3D sequels.

To break things down, with a summary:

The Ultimate Doom: Totally hit it out of the park with the best level design in the series, no question. If I'm looking to play a purely vanilla game of Doom, this is it, especially episodes 1 and 2. 3 is a little clunky, and 4... I've only finished once.

Doom 2: Overall superior gameplay due to the addition of the SSG and extra monsters, mostly the same kind of game as the first. I find the levels a little bit weaker though and I only occassionally return to it in its vanilla form. Still, it's obvious why this has the largest base for modding.

Final Doom: Never finished from beginning to end, but otherwise the same game as Doom 2. TNT has weaker levels, and Plutonia is made for Doom gods.

Doom 3: It's pretty fun for what it is, I've replayed it a few times. It takes obvious inspiration from the Half-Life series more than it takes influence from classic Doom -- funny, in a way, since Half-Life itself was inspired by Doom. I do find this title to be more fun than Half-Life and have returned to it more often.

Doom 2016: It's also pretty fun for what it is, I regard it like Doom 3 even though it has different merits. Seems to take on a lot more influence from Serious Sam than it does from classic Doom, though unlike my previous comment, I personally find Serious Sam to be more fun and better-designed than Doom 2016. Still pretty decent.

I don't dislike any Doom game either, although I do enjoy some of them more than others.

From the titles that I don't enjoy as much as I'd like to are TNT Evilution from Final Doom, it's just too inconsistent in terms of quality for me, followed by Ultimate Doom, for the simple reason that it lacks the enemy variety Doom 2 offers, so it tends to get boring after a while. The absence of the SSG also contributes to this.

And the ones I like the most are (in order): Doom64, Doom 2, Doom 3. I am yet to play Doom 2016, and never got to play PSX Doom either, so nothing to say about them.

Edited by Agent6

doom 2 bundled with NRftL: best levels

doom 1: best music

final doom: best empty feeling in the pit of your stomach

Best: Doom 1, 2, and 2016

Good: Doom 3

Bad: Final Doom

I'm sorry, but I really don't like Final Doom. It's way too bullshit for my tastes. I can see why others like it, but it feels too disconnected, and there's way too many fucking chaingunners. There's legitimate challenge, and there's fake difficulty for the sake of being difficult. Otherwise it's okay.

45 minutes ago, PCF13 said:

I'm sorry, but I really don't like Final Doom. It's way too bullshit for my tastes. I can see why others like it, but it feels too disconnected, and there's way too many fucking chaingunners. There's legitimate challenge, and there's fake difficulty for the sake of being difficult. Otherwise it's okay.

Pray tell, exactly what is "fake" or "illegitimate" about Plutonia's monster usage?  And, for that matter, how would placing monsters for the sake of being difficult constitute fake difficulty?  Wouldn't that be likely to give rise to real difficulty, since difficulty is the goal in the first place?

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

Pray tell, exactly what is "fake" or "illegitimate" about Plutonia's monster usage?  And, for that matter, how would placing monsters for the sake of being difficult constitute fake difficulty?  Wouldn't that be likely to give rise to real difficulty, since difficulty is the goal in the first place?

I think the term should be "artificial difficulty", and they probably meant some instances where you're pretty much forced to take damage. Still, I don't think it's that terrible on the whole.

Doom 2 and Plutonia tie as my favourite games of all time.

Doom 2, with its inclusion of the SSG, offered even faster gameplay than its predecessor and, while the design can be iffy at times (none more so than MAP13, which still has good gameplay), it more than makes up for its great variety and new monsters.

Plutonia made things more challenging, sure, but in the fun and fair way (with the exception of MAP25 perhaps). It was also MUCH better designed than any of the official IWADs released before it.

As for least favourites...

Resurrection of Evil, even with ITS inclusion of the SSG, just felt annoying, with its new (annoying) monsters and, like Doom 3, just didn't feel like Doom.

But the worst of all is TNT. Most maps are sub-par or outright bad. The last third is just a frustrating stretch of similar-looking maps, bland design, boring and/or infuriating gameplay (I'm looking at you, MAP27) and even a fuck-up on the final boss! Only three VERY good levels exist in the wad (MAP03, MAP09 and MAP28).

Of course, if you dislike Doom 2 and Plutonia, but love TNT, that's perfectly acceptable. These are just opinions about video games.

2 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I think the term should be "artificial difficulty", and they probably meant some instances where you're pretty much forced to take damage. Still, I don't think it's that terrible on the whole.

Yeah, being forced to take damage doesn't really mean crap in a game with a lifebar as generous as Doom's.  Also, by that metric, Doom 1 and 2 are just as guilty.

4 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I suggest playing something like Plutonia again, or watching BigMacDavis' walkthroughs. They offer key tips on making even the hardest levels much easier (and more fun to play). Plutonia is 99% fair (of course, as I said in my own post, some parts of MAP25 being the exception).

11 minutes ago, Poncho said:

I suggest playing something like Plutonia again, or watching BigMacDavis' walkthroughs. They offer key tips on making even the hardest levels much easier (and more fun to play). Plutonia is 99% fair (of course, as I said in my own post, some parts of MAP25 being the exception).

Sad that BMD has gone MIA for so long. Therefore, you should promote my walkthrough, JK.

22 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

tnt > plutonia > ultimate doom > doom2

come at me (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

I'll go in front of your face and clench a fist.

Spoiler

LET'S PLAY TOGETHER!

The Ultimate Doom is my personal favorite, Doom 2 is also pretty good.

TNT is ok and i am not that big of a fan of Plutonia...

Haven't played Doom 64 or Doom 3.

I like Doom 2016 though i have only played the Switch version since my computer is too old and i don't have any other consoles.

5 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Sad that BMD has gone MIA for so long. Therefore, you should promote my walkthrough, JK.

I'll go in front of your face and clench a fist.

Hide contents

LET'S PLAY TOGETHER!

Yeah, BMD's been missing for a good couple of years now...

Ah, sorry. I really didn't phrase that well. I don't hate Final Doom, it's just my least favorite. I should replay it sometime, maybe it's not as difficult as I remember. 

Edit: FD noob here. What's better, Plutonia or TNT?

Edited by PCF13

20 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Habitat though...

That's true though... the later half of TNT could be terrible. However, if you don't want somebody else spammed Chaingunner in your face, you need be spammed tunnels in the face in exchange ;D

Also Doom 2 is the best Doom. When people think Doom they think of Doom 2, even if they don't realize they are thinking of Doom 2. The end