Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doommarine_maxi

What's the Doom do you like more?, and what's the one you dislike most?

The original Doom I d/l...the shareware version for me is the best because it got me started in Doom!  Then I upgraded to the full version of Doom when it was available...best $40 I spent, and I still have those "floppy disks".  Ah...memories!

8 hours ago, Don_Faparotti said:

Administration Center takes the prize.

Yep. As awful as Habitat is, at least it's beatable in about 10 minutes (or 10 seconds, if you just want to skip it). A. Center just takes a goddamn eternity.

Literally any Doom with Serious Sam esque massive monster fights, particularly strong ones, and featuring the SSG within the first 10 levels, is haram to me.

For that reason Doom 1 has to be my favorite. My dream wad would be 4-5 episodes of Doom 1 style smaller levels with Doom 2 resources.

Edited by Rifle Infantry

8 hours ago, Linguica said:

Also Doom 2 is the best Doom. When people think Doom they think of Doom 2, even if they don't realize they are thinking of Doom 2. The end

WHY THIS IS TRUE? (I didn't notice that, but it's true)

5 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

Literally any Doom with Serious Sam esque massive monster fights, particularly strong ones, and featuring the SSG within the first 10 levels.

For that reason Doom 1 has to be my favorite. My dream wad would be 4-5 episodes of Doom 1 style smaller levels with Doom 2 resources.

YES! Serious Sam is epic!

From best to worst, i like my atmosphere and could never get into the midi music of the original PC doom's, also great Hell levels get bonus points with me.

PSX Doom - The version that got me into Doom from the start, unforgettable experiences with this version.

Doom 64 - Has the best Hell levels and atmosphere out of all the Doom games, definitely helps that 2/3rd's of it is set in Hell.

Doom 4 - A brilliant mesh of old school level design with somewhat modern gameplay mechanics, shame the Hell levels were so underwhelming.

PSX Final Doom - A nice collection of the best maps from the final doom megawads, lack of maps and monsters on certain maps hurt it though.

Doom 3 - I like Doom 3 but its style of jump scare horror just wasnt for me, awful weapon sounds, hardly any music and an extremely short and disappointing Hell section hurt the experience further.

7 minutes ago, Rifle Infantry said:

Should have clarified- it's that sort of wad that I dislike the most.

... Damn.

Doom 64, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, NRFTL, Final Doom, RoE, Doom 3, Doom 4, Doom RPG.

In order from "best" to "least good":

Doom (1993)

Mostly down to nostalgia, but I like the look and atmosphere the most here; the ideal blend of angry "metal" music to sell you on the idea that you're a massive, badass, who isn't a saint, and then switches it up with moody, horror music to remind you that everyone else is dead and demons are stalking the hallways.

For its time, the level design worked well to give you a basic sense of location (just don't think too much about the layout and such) and seem sufficiently consistent.

The beastiary may be limited when viewed today, but the enemy designs were improved leaps and bounds over Wolf3ds and Id were still developing their game design formula. I almost feel that criticizing Doom for lack of enemy variety is like criticizing the first automobile for not having a sleek design and being reliable.

Doom (2016)

Currently, I view this game as the "right" way to bring the classic franchise into the modern age (I don't care about multiplayer). I think it does mostly the right things and makes the right compromises for what is technically feasible in a modern game.

It reinvents Doom in a way that I think works well for me, focusing, through music and gameplay, on making you feel like the ultimate badass, which imo is what you should be feeling in a Doom game, and it uses modern game design concessions in a way I don't find off-putting (mostly). This is the game that convinced me that some modern gameplay designs weren't as irrelevant as I used to think.

While it retains some of the horror and suspense elements from the Doom franchise, it does downplay them a lot. Some technical limitations that forces it to focus on arena combat also limit the game, and finally, too much linearity in its level design later in the game (despite some early levels having excellent non-linear map design) do bring down the game a bit, but overall, I think this game came out far better than I had anticipated.

Maybe in a few years' time, I'll grow a bit more sour in my opinion towards it (as it happened with Doom 3), but right now, I'm pleased.

Doom 2 (1994)

The SSG became my favorite FPS weapon for awhile and the new monsters worked pretty damned well. I also liked the basic plot of "The Demon invasion has spread to the Earth". I also considered the Icon of Sin showdown to be pretty epic and challenging, and I loved the Wolfenstein 3d easter eggs.

But I wasn't overly enthusiastic about the look of the levels, nor did I like the music as much as in the first game.

The level design strikes me as inconsistent and doesn't give me as good a sense of location as the first game's maps did. Eventually, I also developed a dislike for how OP the SSG is and how it tended to make the regular shotgun rust from disuse.

Doom 64

Great horror atmosphere, new graphics and, for its time, great lighting and effects. I can tell that Quake took a lot of inspiration from this game. Great, challenging level design too.

Admittedly, it took me years to learn to appreciate this game, because I wasn't into the whole "horror atmosphere" thing; I viewed Doom as an action franchise "with horror elements in the background", so I used to be quite displeased that the music was all ambient and no "angry metal", because that was "not Doom" in my opinion (and I found it dull to listen to; horror music typically didn't do anything for me in an action game).

I have later learned to appreciate the atmosphere and horror qualities better, so my opinion of this game has vastly improved.

Another thing I disliked was the lack of the classic over-the-top shotgun pumping animation. I know it was due to tech limitations, but this was almost akin to doing a version of my favorite kung-fu action film with shittier fight choreography. I guess I'm a sucker for interesting animations.

Doom 3

Great atmosphere and revolutionary graphics for its time. I like a lot of the weapons' visual designs (just not the shotgun so much), monster designs are pretty damned creative and imaginative too. A lot of effort was put into making the environment feel believable and it has plenty of subtle details you can look for.

The combat is pretty dull though - I used to find enjoyment out of messing around with the physics (trying to blow the enemies away in a fashion that looks cool, quite challenging to pull off actually), but this game is not all that fun if you go into it with action-packed combat in mind. It's more of a "haunted house" ride, where you can mess with stuff and admire the visuals.

I view Doom 3 as an interesting "alternate Half-Life inspired take" on the Doom premise and there are still things I find inspiring in it.

Mobile phone Doom games

Haven't played any of these. I tend to play video games only when home - if I'm on a train or a bus, I read books or reflect on things.

Every Doom megawad that was sold commercially

Didn't care much to shell out money for any of these (no engine update, no updates to the gameplay formula), most of them I never played. The few I did play, I didn't play enough to form a solid enough opinion of.

Have to agree with Cadman - Shareware Doom is the best Doom. It is the ramrod that busted the floodgates open. Best game ever, free. What the actual fuck.

I'm sure I'd like them if I could get into them but I've yet to make any meaningful progress in the Final Dooms and Doom 2016. My attention span runs out trying to get into those, for some reason. Appreciate I probably contributed to the weakest Doom of all (ML), as we weren't even allowed to put our maps in sequence. Argh. Its a bit like only getting with the last place contender in a Miss Universe contest though, probably my life's greatest achievment at the end of the day, even if in last place. Doom 3 was ok, I've had the most fun with doom2.wad.

On 1/17/2018 at 4:46 PM, YukiRaven said:

Ultimate Doom, Doom 64, and Doom 3 are my absolute favorites.

Doom 2 is pretty not bad.

Final Doom is pretty meh to me. I like TNT slightly more, though.

Doom 2016 is garbage, and I wish I never played it.

The 1st person I've ever seen to actively dislike/hate Doom '16

On 1/17/2018 at 7:50 PM, Archvile Hunter said:

DOOM II: Hell on Earth

DOOM II added a whole bunch of new monsters, all of which have genius designs, both visually and gameplay-wise, and a new weapon the SSG. All of these additions are great, the new monsters add a whole lot of depth to the combat, and the SSG matches perfectly into this, however, I feel like the level design isn't as consistently great as it was in DOOM. There's a lot more verticality, but somehow the levels still feel bland, at least for me. DOOM II also lost the great atmosphere of the first game. I feel like, while id Software tried to immerse players into the world of DOOM in 1993, DOOM II is just a video game, with crazy levels and silly ideas. DOOM II just doesn't have the same charm as the first game.

So I guess if it wasn't for Doom 2, you wouldn't have your screen name? lol  jk

5 minutes ago, Chewyninja69 said:

The 1st person I've ever seen to actively dislike/hate Doom '16

We're few in number, but we do exist.  For me, Doom was always more about atmosphere, being unsure what was around that next corner, taking my time, and exploration.  It was never about the fast action that Doom '16 went for, so to me, it was the opposite of Doom.

Just now, YukiRaven said:

We're few in number, but we do exist.  For me, Doom was always more about atmosphere, being unsure what was around that next corner, taking my time, and exploration.  It was never about the fast action that Doom '16 went for, so to me, it was the opposite of Doom.

I feel ya'. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. It wasn't the best Doom game, per se. But I think it was really good for the year it came out. If that makes any sense (probably not).

I have played/beat all of the major Doom releases and don't really have a strong opinion on/of Doom and Doom 2. Seems like quite a few people like Doom alot and then feel so-so for Doom 2 or vice-versa. I think both releases are awesome sauce and both have their strengths and weaknesses. For Doom 3, I specifically bought an Xbox just to play it when it came out and I despise Xbox controllers (still do). And Doom 3 was pretty good for the time. It has it's faults, too, but it was still pretty cool, imo. 

Having played through the major releases/episodes, if I had to pick something I didn't like or hated or whatever, I'd have to say Plutonia. But not for any reason most people have/would have. I usually just speedrun Doom games now whenever I play them and Plutonia has made it clear to me that it doesn't want to be speed-runned (sped-runned? speed-ran? what's the proper word? lol). I'm not terribly familiar with Plutonia maps and combine with that it's somewhat difficult nature and it can get on one's nerves. This may seem like a "shallow" reason to not liking an episode/WAD/what have you, but there it is. I don't hate or dislike it (too much), it's just meh, I guess? 

Special shout outs to Doom 3: BFG Edition and especially Doom Classic Complete for getting me back into Doom.

Now if this thread were to be about Doom levels that I disliked/liked, that'd be a different story....

Edit #2: I'm a fucking idiot and totally forgot to mention anything about Doom 64 or PSX Doom. Those two Dooms are (to me) the pinnacle of atmospheric fright: PSX Doom with it AWESOME soundtrack and just oppressive hellish feeling and Doom 64 doing the same thing but with a 3d-ish look. Love those Dooms and am ashamed that I forgot to mention them in my first edit. Ugggh.

Edited by Chewyninja69 : Forgot a word

On 2/16/2018 at 7:25 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Out of the 4 DooM games Its:

DooM 3

DooM 2

DooM 1

DooM 4

In that order

Careful, that's close to blasphemy around these parts.... lol    jk jk

I like Ultimate Doom the most, I have lots of fun ploughing through it.

There are only a handful of Doom games I really don't like and they are Doom 2 (with TNT and Plutonia) and Doom 2016.

Doom 2 makes me feel sick, every time I play it I get that sinking feeling. Plus I can't get along with the level design, the whole thing is just horrible. I really really like the new monsters though, anything to expand enemy variety is cool.

As for Doom 2016, I just found it tedious. I didn't feel like I was causing much damage, everything felt like it was made of paper, no satisfaction in killing anything for me. Hated the music (But then I don't like the original Doom music either, despite it's inspirations.) I just didn't have fun with the game. I was hoping to enjoy it like I enjoyed New Order...but, no.

PSX Doom though, I put it up there with the PC original. Played that so much as a kid, played it much more than the PC original at the time, I didn't have a PC but a few friends did. Every so often I'll still load it up and play through it. I know it came with some Doom 2 levels, and yeah I'm not keen on them there either...but the other stuff is cool.

4 minutes ago, Xegethra said:

I didn't feel like I was causing much damage, everything felt like it was made of paper

lol wut

The game felt really squishy, I didn't feel much impact while attacking the enemies. I guess I don't like how the physics were handled.

3 hours ago, Xegethra said:

The game felt really squishy, I didn't feel much impact while attacking the enemies. I guess I don't like how the physics were handled.

lol wut (part 2)

On 1/24/2018 at 9:58 AM, Soundblock said:

I'm sure I'd like them if I could get into them but I've yet to make any meaningful progress in the Final Dooms and Doom 2016. My attention span runs out trying to get into those, for some reason. Appreciate I probably contributed to the weakest Doom of all (ML), as we weren't even allowed to put our maps in sequence. Argh. Its a bit like only getting with the last place contender in a Miss Universe contest though, probably my life's greatest achievment at the end of the day, even if in last place. Doom 3 was ok, I've had the most fun with doom2.wad.

I personally enjoyed the Master Levels, and thought both you and Jim's levels were crazy inventive when I first played them.

21 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

In order from best to worst.

Doom 2

Doom 64

Final Doom

Playstation Doom

Doom

Saturn Doom

Jaguar Doom

Doom 3

Doom 4

What about SNES Doom? lol

I've played every Doom game except the 2016 one and original Doom 3 and my rankings go like this. 

Doom 2/Final Doom

I count these together cause they play the same way and are simply just a different set of maps. I like Doom 2 style overall the best. The addition of the super shotgun and the new monsters completed the game and also changed how Doom was played overall. 

Doom 64

The real Doom 3 in my opinion and I'll forever believe this. For the appeal of playing Doom as a horror game, this is the pinnacle of that experience. It has the absolute best soundtrack from Aubrey Hodges' treasure trove of ambient horror and the best sound effects ever for Doom. The new monster designs are lovely and it has the most appealing aesthetics for the hell levels. I also really like the level design of Doom 64 and have wondered for years if there are any wads similar to it that take the puzzle and exploration aspects from this game and do something with that style. 

The Ultimate Doom

Years ago, this would've been my #1 since for the longest time, I preferred Doom 1 style over Doom 2. But my opinion changed through years of playing and experience. I put Ultimate Doom here cause 'Thy Flesh Consumed' deserves more love since it ramps up the difficulty and is a legitimate challenge to the original game. 

PSX Doom 

This deserves mention like Doom 64. It achieves turning the original game into a horror experience and has some neat new aesthetics with colored lighting. Some of the levels added are interesting. 

Doom 3: BFG Edition

I kinda feel bad judging Doom 3 going by this port which most people seem to really hate. I remember the hype around Doom 3 when it first came out but I completely avoided all of it since I heard mixed reviews at the time. I remember the big deal about the flashlight years ago (and the hilariously nicknamed 'duct tape' mod). I only bought the BFG Edition since i found it dirt cheap brand new and couldn't pass up spending 10 dollars on it. Doom 3 overall just feels like a letdown from what I played. I'm not a real big fan of the story and could make numerous jokes about the Sergeant (MARINE! YOU DROPPED THE PACE, PICK IT UP!) The lighting is impressive, but most of the game is corridor crawling with a few enemies popping out. I like the idea of a sorta haunted house in space, but the level design is linear and leaves a lot left to be desired. There's no soundtrack at all as compared to Doom 64, which even that still has superior sound effects too (the gun sounds in Doom 3 are just plain bad to my ears). Doom 64 has better movement speed and just overall feels like what I wish Doom 3 would've been. I still feel bad judging it by the BFG Edition though and would still like to play the original version some day. 

Ultimate Doom (tightest level design) > No Rest For The Living (equally tight but more expansive; only 2nd place because its so short) > Plutonia > Doom 64 (excellent atmosphere but level design is dodgy at times) > Doom 2 > TNT > Doom 4 (good game, but too many arenas and times the player is locked off from previous areas) >>> Doom 3

Doom 3 is the only one I actually dislike. Fucking corridors man. Dark corridors, boring "traps", and unsatisfying weapons.