Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Gotcha!

Full of boobytraps, like kinds that teleport the player into the middle of a horde or shut the door behind them as a shotgun guy spawns an inch from their face.

I always interpreted it like "We've got you now!", i.e. it's a boss fight map.  Which it is, until you figure out the infighting, but the whole cityscape-flooded-with-blood look still gives it quite the presence.

17 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

What the fuck is Monster Condo?

A place where the monsters live.  A condo is a type of real-estate (short for condominium) where several abodes exist together in a single location.  The map itself has something of a homely look to it (bookcases etc.) so I always felt the name suited it quite well.

6 minutes ago, Bauul said:

A place where the monsters live.  A condo is a type of real-estate (short for condominium) where several abodes exist together in a single location.  The map itself has something of a homely look to it (bookcases etc.) so I always felt the name suited it quite well.

And the room with all the dead bodies is their meat locker or something? I guess that all makes somewhat sense

I always had the impression that "Gotcha!" referred to the Cyberdemon and Mastermind being the same room together for the first time. Before I delved into custom maps, this level was very novel to me.

I didn't really think about the name of the level the first time around, but now I suppose it refers to the fact that at the very beginning you should get the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind to infight (which is a very easy task anyway), as well as the fact that this map is full of traps (Gotcha B*itch).

Although the Doom II In Name Only WAD has a good interpretation of "Gotcha!". I was certainly fooled and the map "got me" when I played it for the first time (having a mob of Hell Knights surround you with nowhere near enough ammo to kill them, then releasing a Cyberdemon to clean them up for you).

On 1/17/2018 at 10:01 PM, silentzorah said:

It's been hours since the last shuttle left with what few survivors remained. You've seen untold horrors, unfolding right in your own hometown. The suburbs where you spent your growing years, burned to ash. But, after an exhausting search, you've finally found it - The Hell Gate.

Gotcha.

Wasting no time, you slap a couple of shells into your trusty shotgun. Time for a little invasion of your own.

Kinda this, but on the flipside, I always did kind of view it as Hell also luring you into their trap; forcing you to enter Hell (no way to shut down the gate on Earth) and thus become trapped there.

...Gotcha...

The moment you shit your pants when the two platforms lower and the bosses echo their sight shouts through the map, bonus since a newbie will probably stare at them anticipating what is going to happen instead of rushing behind the mastermind (or skip the entire place).

I usually rush behind the Cyberdemon, both because I can dance away from his rockets and because the Mastermind's bullets will hit the Cyberdemon a lot faster.