Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

People suck

10 minutes ago, Liberation said:

@an_mutt Perhaps I will, however I was only pointing out an error in your statement.

Anyway this thread is turning in circles of insults and bullshit. Perhaps we should part ways and makes some doom maps instead? 

I think it's time to l-l-l-l-l-l-lock this thread thanks to an eternal loop of hatred and bullcrap.

mmm i think certain sensitive topics need to be broached in some way

but not in a disingenuous, protesting-my-innocence-in-advance way

some people's posting styles are brutally conservative in nature and when you call 'em on it it becomes this eh-heh-heh that's just playful talk i'm not really bad and anyway what about free speech thing

we're not stupid you obviously have terrible opinions in your head

i got a warning for posting a gif in response to this thread's utter lack of any value to the world but apparently that was worse than most of the other 'content' here, and its not getting any better after 2 more pages 👌🏼

guys, go outside and/or play some doom

So many backstabby comments here I cannot tell if someone is really genuine by saying something like "You are really nice" or not. Now everyone wonders why they keep getting called out. Guys... just go straight at it, you got nothing to lose.

@rehelekretep Yeah I was warned by fraggle for posting an img only reaction to the Brutal Doom moddb award thread, who decided to then post an img only response to hardcore_gamer not long after in one of his latest famous threads. So can only mods get away with this, the staff's favorite members, or is it a power thing? If it's not the place for that sorta thing then punish everyone.

I see Neurosis' post was also deleted for questioning the lack of a rules sticky in here on page 2. Okay, what's the problem here guys? With the direction this thread's going this seems like a nice place to start with some real constructive posting. Do we literally make up the rules as we go along now hence no official guidelines or is this an excuse to just kick less popular members off for not knowing any better?

what the fuck? I really need to stay asleep in a case like this.

Also @Phobus is the best poster in this thread.

@Doomkid I really should take my username seriously and posted that song sooner, but then again...

9 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

i got a warning for posting a gif in response to this thread's utter lack of any value to the world but apparently that was worse than most of the other 'content' here, and its not getting any better after 2 more pages 👌🏼

guys, go outside and/or play some doom

This might be because posting an image macro in a thread is honestly more annoying than you might think. One of the reasons I absolutely hate image macro posters in the first place. Same with video "clip" posters. Cool you can post an image or a video to make yourself look cool, but does it make anyone else look better.

"Don't try it."

i dont want to get into an argument, i just thought it was funny that there are real horrible messages in this thread but my gif was considered unacceptable

14 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

The thing is, you can't pretend that people are approaching you without context and don't understand the assumptions behind what you're saying; you have been a prominent member of this community for a very long time. You have made and condoned racist comments, you've made sexist comments, you've made anti-transgender comments, and so on -- to some extent on this forum, but more overtly and frequently on your own forum where you know you can get away with it. When people read a post like the one that started this thread, they know where you are coming from, and that's why they immediately start trash-talking you instead of participating in whatever debate you intend to start. I believe you when you say that it's not your intention to fuck shit up, but maybe if you don't want to, you should start listening to what people have to say, whether they see fit to say it nicely or not.

Thanks for the detailed response. I can tell you put a lot of thought into it, as did I before responding to it, and I really do appreciate it. 

I concede that the platform I've built my forum avatar on has some poorly worded posts here and there. I don't actually have all of my posts memorized nor do I even know how many people read, or interpreted them in the way that I meant. I also don't know whether or not they were effected by them in a negative way. I'm not really sure how you or anyone wants me to address something like this. Should I be surveying everyone on doomworld to find out each and every person I hurt and where (should they be willing to tell me,) and preface every post I make with a laundry list of all the unfinished business in my life so people can know if I have anything worth saying or not? 

I make that extreme example because I do listen, especially to people who find my posts distasteful. I've made direct and sincere apologies to people I know I've wronged, and in some cases these situations work out. But there have been others who overtly rejected my apology for reasons they won't enable me to understand. (I have the private messages to back it up, but I respect these people enough not to flop them around in public) I want to make amends with anyone here. It's the people I feel would be attracted to a thread like this that prefer to have enemies. The world just isn't that full of evil people, and I truly believe they are doing a lot of self harm in believing that. It doesn't feel good to me that my fellow Doomers are doing that to themselves.

I'm always working on myself. The 40oz I was years ago is different than the one I am today. When I say that, I'm not saying that old 40oz used to be a racist misogynist transphobic shitbag and now I'm not. I never was. It's a recent phenomenon that there are far more non-racists who misjudge the bond they have with the people they talk to that are put on trial than actual racists. I do concede that the comments I've made that you're referring to use overtly sexist, anti-trans, or racist language. But at the same time acknowledge that I have a long history here with doomworld that I've filled with genuine, helpful, and thoughtful posts. This is an extremely selective bias! It's a bias that leans towards confirmation that people suck when they really don't.

People I've talked to directly, many of which found their way to Doomer Boards are not very different from the people here at all. They feel just as strongly about deception, ignorance, misinformation, injustice, and freedom as anyone else here. They're completely normal people who have their biases, just as any normal people here do. They're not hateful or anythingphobic. They're butthurt. People here were shitty to them for reasons they can't be sure they understand, and it makes sense to me because in my own experience, I'm dealing with conflicts that are entirely new to me that already start from a place where I've been doing damage to them for years, but they outright refuse to clue me in on where this is coming from. This doesn't sound to me to be the actions of someone who thinks people are generally good.

OK, I hate to take the broadly generalized way out, but: enough.

This entire thread is one grand cesspool of terrible arguments and flawed reasoning from nearly every single poster. I'm not sure whether it's better off melted for all eternity, or stickied as a landmark case study of every wrong way you can possibly discuss a topic.

While there's multiple points worth addressing, if most of you can't look back over your posts and see the way in which either your content or your wording contributed to the flood of antagonism rather than engaging in resolving it, I don't have much more I can possibly say.

40oz, you got your last words in just on time. I'm sure you can understand that any further discussion needs to be taken to PMs.

(Speaking of which, the P in PM stands for "private" - as a general rule, any private messages posted to a public forum will be removed.)