Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

People suck

I have split off and quarantined kb1 and arctangent's lover's quarrel (and directly associated posts) but left the rest of the thread intact because apparently for some reason I need to let these things run their course so I can claim to not be a dictator

This thread is ironically dumb in a way that most posts want to imply that arguments are futile but continue argumenting either way. We ALL know how arguing about something on the internet is useless, yet you all go and attack someone because of something minor like a differing opinion to going full-on-nemesis on somebody. Are you doing this for fun? For the... urgh... meme? (yuck yuck yuck), or was your honour pained in some way? People are people, yes, but unless you can meet them in real life, you are not going to "convert" anyone who doesn't want to appease to you in the first place. We can go and be friends though, finding a term which connects us and going forward from there. I have "internet" friends whom I love with all my heart, so I guess it is possible, I don't really see a point in attacking a stranger, no matter how bad or notorious the stranger is.

Are you all arguing... because you want to make friends? Might make sense in some way :/

(calmly awaiting for my comment to be either nitpicked, shut down, or ignored)

If DWF is still going to have its occasional flamewar, can you guys at least try to make them more interesting? We were on the right track with Dew posting private messages but there's a lot more work to be done here. I believe in you, you just need to believe in yourselves. Thanks in advance

Not near enough of 40oz and Dew battling for moral superiority for my tastes.

Surprised this thread is still going! 

Personally think posting images of PMs is a bit below the belt really!

Also disappointed that I missed the spat between kb1 and arctangent, normally great reading.

Wanted to say this in the Uganda thread but it was locked, so:

@40oz you cannot decide what is or is not racist. Racism is not 'in the eye of the beholder'. Holy fucking shit. Just fuck off immediately, you creep.

@an_mutt I think a PM would of been more constructive rather than dragging shite from a thread that has been locked already, to this thread just so you can tell 40oz to fuck off. 

Having already bashed my head against the wall of private messaging with 40oz and getting nowhere, I'm of the opinion that it is actually more constructive to drag it here as shit like what he posted in that thread shouldn't just be glossed over. Constructiveness here is in the eye of the beholder, if you will.

Here is a dude who runs a message board for Doom Alt-Righters, and who very recently made multiple posts trying to argue that you can decide what is or is not racist. And subsequently posted a thread on how we should all stop being angry at one another (read: him) and listen to each other's ideas (wow! where do i keep hearing that kind of rhetoric!!!). Fuck him.

Fuck off, 40oz. Don't @ me or PM me.

Guest Unregistered account

Can't we just settle this over a pint

2 hours ago, Phobus said:

[...] I actually miss the days when the Doom forums were just a young man's club of people randomly having flamewars and posting image macros to STFU [...]

But this is kind of the problem in retrospect, no? Is that we weren't inclusive, we weren't open, we weren't welcoming of differing ideologies; DW was a deviant boy's club that congratulated deviant boys and shunned everyone and everything else. It wasn't a safe haven for those rejected by society, but rather for those that held antipathy for "normalized" behavior; we encouraged those that liked the idea of making a myhouse.wad and being able to shoot apart your demonified neighbors, no matter their perceived transgressions.

Of course the narrative evolved over time and Doom became infinitely more abstract, but the initial Doom community was slightly nightmarish in its socialized behavior—just like a myriad of other niche communities that evolved beyond their lonely/rejected origin. As we became more sensitive and receptive to the folks that shared our interest, it's only natural to expect us to also become more adaptive to their behaviors—not only to survive, but to grow and learn as active members of the community. Is it really that "fun"(/valuable?) to say to someone "stop acting like an autistic faggot" when both neurodivergent and queer persons have contributed indelible additions to our community? Is the freedom to dictate how you disparage the "different" really that much more important than making them feel welcome to modify an archaic, twenty-year-old game... like the rest of us?

Not to shit on you in particular Phobos, but stuff like:

3 hours ago, Phobus said:

After all, is pointlessly confronting Doom enthusiasts about whatever is currently on your mind (or being discussed, even) any more mature than just posting a picture telling somebody to shut the fuck up?

—is unproductive for the community because it's erroneously valuing shitposting over careful, nuanced discussion. And I don't know what nihilistic universe you believe in where memes hold precedence over hyper-specific topics like "is a box of shells more poisonous to Doom's core gameplay than five spread-out shell pickups?", but it's definitely one I'm glad we've journeyed into. Like, maybe I can sympathize with teenagers viewing Doom's "gory violence infatuation" as a revolt against modern decency, but the days of wanting to make fun of minorities for the sake of being minorities is long gone for me. And I gladly welcome the change that brings.

35 minutes ago, an_mutt said:

Here is a dude who runs a message board for Doom Alt-Righters

Saying it a hundred times doesn't make it true. If you take a look at that board you'll see it almost entirely consists of friendly and thoughtful discussions on Doom and life.

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

apparently for some reason I need to let these things run their course so I can claim to not be a dictator

I vote for dictatorship in this particular case.

7 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I vote for dictatorship in this particular case.

Isn't that technically an oxymoron? :-)

24 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Saying it a hundred times doesn't make it true. If you take a look at that board you'll see it almost entirely consists of friendly and thoughtful discussions on Doom and life.

I did actually have a quick look at the message board before making that post to be certain it hadn't suddenly and magically changed into ultra progressive boards and some of the first posts I saw were a user sharing a shot of the word 'cunt' in their dictionary with no other context, another member saying feminism is cancer because of #metoo nonsense (with a third member saying said movement is treating men unfairly), and a fourth member (recently banned from DW for being a piece of shit) saying Haiti and El Salvador are shithole countries because they have high crime rates.

So sure, saying something a hundred times doesn't make that thing true (see: members of an alt-right message board saying they aren't a message board for the alt-right) but what does make it true is when that thing keeps doing the things it is accused of. Whoops!

Does any one of you have any other joys in life other than calling each other racists and starting pointless arguments just to appease your hurt SJW feewwings?

16 hours ago, dew said:

Blunt time: this is very obviously a follow-up to the locked down "shitstorm about Uganda" thread. A thread in which you mocked several people for supposedly not understanding your posts and in which you declared that racism is purely subjective. I find your preaching about friendship and inner kindness completely hollow.

Do you have to be so unpleasant towards everyone? He didn't insult anyone. Neither did anyone else, except for you. No, it's always you who starts the shitstorm, because of your lack of capability of having a civilised discussion. Whatever his points may be, you don't even have the willingness to read through them and devise some real counter points or whatever necessary to have a normal argument (WHICH IS WHAT MOST OF US DO), instead you prefer to just resort to petty insults. How does a person become this salty towards everything he doesn't like? Teach me. There's an old proverb that says "Be simpler and people will reach out to you". Try it out. Being a likeable person is not hard. Not even for me.

Did your mom throw out all of your hentai mangas from your basement and now you're taking it out on randoms on the internet? What are you, 12?

-------------------------------------

I'm usually not this rude but this thread agitates me to a quite large extent so yeah feel my wrath

1 minute ago, an_mutt said:

I did actually have a quick look at the message board before making that post to be certain it hadn't suddenly and magically changed into ultra progressive boards and some of the first posts I saw were a user sharing a shot of the word 'cunt' in their dictionary with no other context, another member saying feminism is cancer because of #metoo nonsense (with a third member saying said movement is treating men unfairly), and a fourth member (recently banned from DW for being a piece of shit) saying Haiti and El Salvador are shithole countries because they have high crime rates.

So sure, saying something a hundred times doesn't make that thing true (see: members of an alt-right message board saying they aren't a message board for the alt-right) but what does make it true is when that thing keeps doing the things it is accused of. Whoops!

I'm sorry but none of that is alt-right, eye brow raising maybe? yeah fair enough but alt-right no.

Perhaps you should actual look into the alt-right, its really not nice and goes far far beyond criticising feminism and calling countries shit holes. 

Just now, Liberation said:

I'm sorry but none of that is alt-right, eye brow raising maybe? yeah fair enough but alt-right no.

Perhaps you should actual look into the alt-right, its really not nice and goes far far beyond criticising feminism and calling countries shit holes. 

If you have a problem with my posts then maybe you should PM me about it.

Alt-right board implies that is all that is being talked about. Nah, that just gets in the way. Its a small board after all, not too many topics to discuss. Dooming and art projects are in development, cannot be talked about really. So, whenever a trend happens, someone says something and everyone just chip in their thoughts they would be hanged for talking about apparently. So yeah, Doomer Boards isn't really bad. Its just a comfy lil board with members who well know each other and are comfortable with who they are, unlike where on Doomworld a wrongly-pronounced joke can cause a baaad shitstorm. I guess those are the bad sides of every size: Small groups can be too comfortable for someone, while large groups can be too risky to engage :/

1 minute ago, bzzrak said:

Does any one of you have any other joys in life other than calling each other racists and starting pointless arguments just to appease your hurt SJW feewwings?

1 minute ago, bzzrak said:

Do you have to be so unpleasant towards everyone?

How do you internally reconcile thiscognitive dissonance? Oh wait... you don't, because you're an avid disaster tourist who keeps liking everything "anti-establishment" and trollish here on DW. I would expect your likes to be all over my posts, yet somehow you can't take it when I happen to target you and yours. Maybe go make a terry wad about it, you likeable and civilised person you.

15 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

[... one dew rant later...]

Do you have to be so unpleasant towards everyone? He didn't insult anyone.

[... one bzzrak rant later...]

this thread agitates me to a quite large extent so yeah feel my wrath

I laughed, I cried. Fucking 5 star post. Outstanding stuff.

Step right up folks, place your bets on how long this dumpster fire of a thread continues to burn for!

Despite being pure cancer from the word 'go' it hasn't shown signs of fizzling out. I give it another 8 hours at this rate, but I could be wrong. Place your bets people!

@an_mutt Perhaps I will, however I was only pointing out an error in your statement.

Anyway this thread is turning in circles of insults and bullshit. Perhaps we should part ways and makes some doom maps instead? 

Don't actually PM me with the means of trying to explain the alt-right to me.

Jesus wept.