Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

When do you fully realize that the year has changed?

I've noticed that I still get surprised when I'm reminded of the fact that we are living in the year 2018 now. It hasn't registered in my mind yet, it still feels like good old 2017.

I wonder if I'll have to wait till my birthday in February. That should convince me for sure.

8 minutes ago, Memfis said:

good old 2017

Never thought I'd see it described that way.

To an extent, I always felt like 2017 was just an extension of 2016, complete with all the strife that plagued us. I'm really damn hoping it isn't a trend that follows us into this year.

When the clock hits 0:00 on January 1st.

I generally get used to the change after 2 or 3 months, as it stands right now my subconscious is still stuck in 2017, I was close to writing the wrong date on a couple of exam papers so yeah... still in the process of adapting.

It's finally clicked in for me at this point, but for the first couple weeks there's always an urge to write the date as 17!

First test in college where I gotta write down the date and I'm like "That fucking 7 is gone"

Each year ends for me on a special horrifyingly depressing anniversary. In a way its good that the special day of a holiday marks an anniversary, so it will never be forgotten.

Before that no year ever ended for me. It was all just white noise as one holiday goes to another, goes to another. Time gets faster as you grow older. That's why you need to get caught up in a moment and not look forward to things so you memorize that moment to be something more than white noise.

I don't know, I already feel that we're in 2018, not in 2017 or even 2016. New year started for me quite easy, but I don't how long this peace will stay in my life. 

After Dec 31th, I've already assimilated that I'm on this year......that was quick for me

1 hour ago, Megalyth said:

The year is actually 1721 and the Earth is flat, wake up sheeple 

Ok Kyrie

7 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I'll know the year's out when I finally get laid.

It is still 1996.

Here lies mrthejoshmon.

He never scored.

On my birthday. That'll be a full 31 years in my life. Until then, I'm only 303 days into what has admittedly been the most fucked up year of my life so far, and that's saying something.

As far as 2018 is concerned, like every year I'm pretty self conscious of it for the first month since it's usually synonymous with the really slow time at work. We do various construction projects for homeowners, so usually towards the end of the calendar year clients are financially focused on other aspects of their lives, rightfully so. Thus I spend the first week or so in January thinking, "C'mon [current year], let's get going."

I usually think about years passing when I have those weird philosophical reflection moments in front of a mirror after showering, saying random soundbits to myself in the awe-soaked realization that I am a human being capable of moving their face and not in fact a camera and a set of disembodied arms. Usually at around that point I also realize I'm going to eventually die and spend a few minutes in existential horror wondering how I can pull a LiveLeak and die in a horrific and unexpected fashion, before forgetting about that because I'm hungry and want to go make bagels.

I'll have to go the same route as silentzorah way above and say it's irrelevant to me.

Though, I realized it was the new year when I was woken around 0000 January 1 by the fireworks and could only get back to sleep at two when I had to get up at five to catch a bus to Missouri.

Around six that morning I realized it was going to be a shitty year.