Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Saxon

Can I play doom 64 on the PlayStation4 somehow

So when I was a kid just learning how to play games. back when doom64 came out. I really liked that game. But nowa days I'd like to play it on the PlayStation4 or Xbox. is there any way possible to do this. Or am I just going to have to remake the entire game myself? 

So I've got an Android phone that can emulate the 64 games. Do you think it's possible to som how get that on a TV screen and with a controller

you could possibly try to get Linux installed and build Doom64EX on it.

Beyond things that void warranty... no, you need a N64 or PC.

6 hours ago, Saxon said:

So I've got an Android phone that can emulate the 64 games. Do you think it's possible to som how get that on a TV screen and with a controller

You want it on your TV? TBH you might as well just buy an N64 and find an actual copy of the game. Plus then you'd have the ability to play all the other N64 games as well, so bonus. (I never had one; I was on PlayStation at the time and I didn't care for the N64 controller when I played it at my friend's house.) Or there's the aforementioned Doom 64 TC, which was quite excellent (and my only experience with Doom 64; I don't feel like I'm missing much by not having played the original.) Plus, with the TC, you just hook your computer up to a TV and configure a controller and you've basically got what you want.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:01 AM, Johnatone said:

You want it on your TV? TBH you might as well just buy an N64 and find an actual copy of the game. Plus then you'd have the ability to play all the other N64 games as well, so bonus. (I never had one; I was on PlayStation at the time and I didn't care for the N64 controller when I played it at my friend's house.) Or there's the aforementioned Doom 64 TC, which was quite excellent (and my only experience with Doom 64; I don't feel like I'm missing much by not having played the original.) Plus, with the TC, you just hook your computer up to a TV and configure a controller and you've basically got what you want.

despised the N64's controller and the Xbox's.... like, why do game companies come up with these awkward shaped PoS's? Sony and the NES get/have gotten it right. /Rant over

I never had any issues with the N64 controller. It was the Genesis, X-Box and Dreamcast controllers that always bugged the heck out of me.

Man I used to absolutely despise the PlayStation controller but still played the hell out of the systems. Now, I like the PS4 controller over all others :D

Also, sorry to keep the derail going ;)

On 25/01/2018 at 9:39 AM, Chewyninja69 said:

despised the N64's controller and the Xbox's.... like, why do game companies come up with these awkward shaped PoS's? Sony and the NES get/have gotten it right. /Rant over

The Duke was shit.

Unless whoever owns the rights to Doom 64 (I'd assume Bethesda) decides to port the game to modern systems and release it I highly doubt that you'd get Doom 64 running on a PS4 without hacking the system. I'd personally just buy an N64, but it'll be quite a while before I do that since I already did buy an SNES last year and think I should wait a bit before I waste more money on retro hardware. Or you could get Doom 64 EX for your PC, but that requires you to have the ROM first which probably means either ripping it from a cartridge (something I doubt many people have the hardware and know-how to do) or pirating it (something I refuse to do).

I've never personally had a problem with the N64 controller, except for the first time I used it when I had no idea how to hold it properly when playing Ocarina of Time. The experience you have with the controller depends on the type of game you're playing and the competence of the game developers. Though I will admit that Sony completely nailed it with their first try, the Dualshock is the best controller ever. Xbox basically copied Sony (eventually, the Duke was more "inspired" by Sony, but 'bigger', which to them meant 'better') and decided to make the only real difference between them the placement of the joysticks.

2 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

I'd personally just buy an N64, but it'll be quite a while before I do that since I already did buy an SNES last year and think I should wait a bit before I waste more money on retro hardware.

It's never a "waste" to go retro....

On 1/21/2018 at 5:39 AM, arobase said:

Just install Doom64EX.

To add to this, most TV's and Computers/laptops have HDMI inputs, which means with an HDMI cable, (about $10 at Best Buy or a major retailer) you can project your monitor on your TV, and play computer games on it. Doom64EX is a godsend because you get Doom64 with the freedom and user friendliness of modern source ports. 

I don't know how necessary it is that you use a PS4 controller, but I've heard xbox controllers are pretty compatible with the windows operating systems, so you could pick one of those up if you want.

afaik I don't think you can get Doom64 on your PS4 no matter what you do. I don't know if a PS4 controller will work on a PC (I've never tried,) and projecting your phone on TV, if even possible in the first place depending on what phone you have, will probably require some kinda expensive device that you plug into your TV to remotely broadcast whats on your phone to your TV. Also the resolution will probably be garbage.

3 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

It's never a "waste" to go retro....

I'm in University full-time and can't exactly afford to spend extra money that I have now but may need later (the SNES with Super-Metroid cost me $190 Canadian). Plus I have three consoles (including the SNES) and four* handhelds in my dorm already and I don't exactly have space for much more. I plan to buy an N64 sometime in the future but until I've finished my degree** at university my retro gaming collection is going to need to wait.

I've got a cousin who's supposed to mail me a bunch of their old Game Boy stuff that they can't use anymore due to no longer having a handheld but they haven't done so yet...

*actually five, I forgot one.

**and by 'finished my degree' I mean I'll impulsively give in next semester.

3 hours ago, 40oz said:

To add to this, most TV's and Computers/laptops have HDMI inputs, which means with an HDMI cable, (about $10 at Best Buy or a major retailer) you can project your monitor on your TV, and play computer games on it. Doom64EX is a godsend because you get Doom64 with the freedom and user friendliness of modern source ports. 

I don't know how necessary it is that you use a PS4 controller, but I've heard xbox controllers are pretty compatible with the windows operating systems, so you could pick one of those up if you want.

afaik I don't think you can get Doom64 on your PS4 no matter what you do. I don't know if a PS4 controller will work on a PC (I've never tried,) and projecting your phone on TV, if even possible in the first place depending on what phone you have, will probably require some kinda expensive device that you plug into your TV to remotely broadcast whats on your phone to your TV. Also the resolution will probably be garbage.

PS4 controller will work on your PC, ironically even on a Microsoft OS/Windows 10/whatever. I have used InputMapper in the past, but YMMV.