Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Saxon

Doom snap map

Cute little toy, but filled with garbage maps, 80% of maps I played there feel the same, plus It's too limited, there's just no motivation to make maps for it, Makes me wish id software would go back to traditional texturing because apparently Megatextures are one of the reasons why we didn't get proper SDK.

The concept has a lot of potential but the tools we got for custom rooms are still too limited and buggy, despite id Software's attempts to cater more for them in successive updates.  Scope for a more granular approach to patching maps together a la Skyrim's Creation Kit could have made SnapMap into a powerful editor, but it would probably have required scrapping a lot of the existing code for SnapMap and rebuilding from scratch.  Perhaps they might try a more granular version of the same approach for the next Doom.

Console limitations are my biggest gripe.  It is obvious that a lot of the problems are due to having the maps be interconnected between xbox, pc and playstation.  They should release a exclusive PC version in the future to keep it alive after the the current gen goes away.

It wuold of been cool to edit monster skins much like what we can do for player character in MP.

Sorry for the bump.

I would prefer if they released a full-on SDK to allow modding up to total conversions but evidently, that did not happen.

While SnapMap is not as extensible as Doom Builder and it relies mostly on prefabricated rooms. That being said, I am abysmal in Doom Builder (or more to the point, never really did much) and I can make a much better map in SnapMap. Granted, I can't really call it my own but it's still better for less experienced people. It may even be a useful stepping stone for getting players interested in map design and may even teach people what good map design is and how to balance. And even though it's not as extensible as Doom Builder, I have seen some incredible custom geography maps.

But though I may defend its application, I always feel that something is off about it. Yes, by default, glory kills don't drop candy and weapons don't have mods but rather come in separate modded forms. But it seems more fundamental than that... the movement itself seems a bit peculiar, maybe a bit more sluggish or more shaky. I wish the game mechanics, by default, were more like the main game.

I hope they will fix Snapmap in sequel, because now it's just a mess. Broken and abandoned.

On 5/24/2018 at 5:08 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

Sorry for the bump.

I would prefer if they released a full-on SDK to allow modding up to total conversions but evidently, that did not happen.

While SnapMap is not as extensible as Doom Builder and it relies mostly on prefabricated rooms. That being said, I am abysmal in Doom Builder (or more to the point, never really did much) and I can make a much better map in SnapMap. Granted, I can't really call it my own but it's still better for less experienced people. It may even be a useful stepping stone for getting players interested in map design and may even teach people what good map design is and how to balance. And even though it's not as extensible as Doom Builder, I have seen some incredible custom geography maps.

But though I may defend its application, I always feel that something is off about it. Yes, by default, glory kills don't drop candy and weapons don't have mods but rather come in separate modded forms. But it seems more fundamental than that... the movement itself seems a bit peculiar, maybe a bit more sluggish or more shaky. I wish the game mechanics, by default, were more like the main game.

At the beginning Snapmap used the multiplayer movement (along with mainly multiplayer changes such as weapon behaviour) where strafing and going backwards are slower than moving forward and I don't think this was ever changed.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:52 AM, MrSkeltal said:

At the beginning Snapmap used the multiplayer movement (along with mainly multiplayer changes such as weapon behaviour) where strafing and going backwards are slower than moving forward and I don't think this was ever changed.

I don't think it's changed unless you change it when you make the map.

Hopefully Doom Eternal has a proper SDK.