Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

1 Hour Speedmaps - 2018 edition

Sometimes, the urge to map comes in small moments where you want to challenge yourself to make something in a short amount of time. @rdwpa hosted two 1-hr speedmapping sessions back in 2016, so I thought I would make this thread so that you have a means of challenging your creative selves.

As for rules, your map must be built within a 1 hour time period. you can to testing and bug fixing after the 1 hour period. Your map also must be in a playable state and have an exit in place. As usual, Boom and limit removing (complevel 2 + 9) format maps are allowed.

Kicking off the mapping spirit, here's a punchy map I just finished:

Tasty Spleen Fisting

(limit removing, complevel 2)

Edited by Breezeep

Icky Vicky UV Max:

ickyvicky-111.zip

Pretty fun map. No health as expect ;P Stupidly forgot the blue key, sad.

----------------------------------------

Goop Juice UV Max: (It seems space is not allowed in cmd, so I changed the name to Goop_Juice in order to record)

goop_juice-227.zip

Fun and challenging map. It seems it's sort of difficult to kill the 2 Hell Knights and 2 Cacodemons before moving on since the ammo is tight at the beginning. BTW, where is the music from? I really like it, and it fits the feeling of the map IMO.

----------------------------------------

Tasty Spleen Fisting UV Tyson:

bre_1hr2t137.zip

You can use monsters to block to lowering door in order to "avoid" the trap. I guess this ruins the experience a little bit. BTW, I suck at/hate punching Cacodemons.

Edited by GarrettChan

29 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

BTW, where is the music from?

I found it on MAP14 of Congestion 1024: the textfile says it's "ALIENS Soundtrack - James Horner".

Not sure how much you guys care but I found visual glitches in both Icky Vicky and Tasty Spleen Fisting. I was playing in Zdoom so I'm not sure if it's related or not but I've provided screenshots just in case.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180122_083819.png.21061a18f14bedcbc800ea212e784ef4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180122_083957.png.b2211fdf343a75585671c07cc199a8a9.png

^This does exist in PrBoom+. I found that, but it's rather minor, so I didn't say anything. Probably I should have though.

Eden At Rest - Boom format.

Will update it with a secret later possibly, I already spent 75 85 minutes on this.

EDIT: Fixed to address missing textures, plus lack of sky and MIDI. MIDI is Lee Jackson's "A10tion".

Edited by Jimmy

^ Monsters stuck in 0-height sectors will prevent their floors from moving in cl2. Give them some space, you're using barons/HKs so you'll need at least 64 units worth.

Good stuff guys! Pretty cool with what some of you can do within an hour!

Not to forget, here's an updated version of my map. Monsters are no longer able to block the lowering doors to the two crusher rooms. The link in the OP has been updated with this version.

Funkenheimer (cl2 although not properly tested yet)

1 hour ago, AD_79 said:

^ Monsters stuck in 0-height sectors will prevent their floors from moving in cl2. 

Sweet thanks! I fixed that and some other stuff and edited my post.

Funkenheimer Pacifist:

funkenheimerp015.zip

Funkenheimer UV Max:

funkenheimer-148.zip

Pretty fun and challenging small map. Tested on -cl2, it seems that I haven't run into problems. I really like being careful on platforming and fighting other enemies at the same time. I guess being able to get the BFG before firing a shot may ruin the experience a little bit.

Little complaints: 1. Probably move the MegaArmor a little bit forward, so you don't need to break a bit to get it; 2. The texture choice for the edge of the platform could be misleading since it looks like a lift texture.

I saw AD commented here, and I thought there would an AD map, sad :(

^ Heh, there might be one or two soon, especially seeing as I missed out on ASS again.

^I guess you've found out the player can be launched OB? Or it's the way I "scum" the level. However, there is almost no health except the MegaSphere, so it doesn't really matter, still a pretty fun experience.

Showdown At Gravel Co. UV Max:

showdown-140.zip

43 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

^I guess you've found out the player can be launched OB? Or it's the way I "scum" the level.

Yeah, I realized either the player could rocket or be arch-viled OB, but thanks for pointing out that other issue. I've updated the map accordingly.

@Breezeep Are you planning to compile these maps at some point (whether in some sort of DMP-style megawad or a series of episodes, a la Return to Saturn X or something else)? Or are you just planning to have people upload maps to the thread and proceed in that way?

FDA dump: noisy_1hrSpeed2018.zip

prboom+ cl9

maps were played in alphabetical order by filename.

by the time of Goop Juice, my very own brain-juices were drying up so i had to take a break in the middle.

I did peek at the first three maps submitted to the thread the other day (Breez;Obs;rdwpa), so those i guess are second demo attempts

these were all better than my expectations.  good job

edit: huh, i missed @franckFRAG and @Saint_Guy's, here they are noisy_franckAndSaint.zip

Edited by NoisyVelvet

13 minutes ago, DanielAlexander said:

custom textures are allowed?

Yes, but please include the textures you used in the wad file you post.