Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

1 Hour Speedmaps - 2018 edition

8 minutes ago, Voltcom9 said:

^

I honestly find it incredibly difficult to build a map with any detail, texture alignment or skill settings in just an hour :P

Just make whatever man, the ruggedness and lack of polish is what makes these maps fun.

Here's a tip i've learned in gzdoom, hovering over a texture and using A or Shift+A is a godsend, auto aligns most textures

also, im unfamiliar with making demos in prboom+, how do you access the command prompt? or is it booting up prboom+ via the computer's command prompt and setting it to record?

55 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

[...] also, im unfamiliar with making demos in prboom+, how do you access the command prompt? or is it booting up prboom+ via the computer's command prompt and setting it to record?

If you're using Windows, the easiest way IMO is to use Notepad to make a .bat file. For example, here's what I used to record the demo of your map:

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file Hamlet_pbboom.wad -warp 1 -complevel 9 -skill 4 -record demoname

Enter that into Notepad and save it in your PrBoom+ folder as something like "record.bat" (actually use the quotes when saving it so that Notepad doesn't add the .txt extension), and then run it. I used complevel 9 which is Boom compatibility, but since your compatibility target is limit-removing, it should be complevel 2.

To play demos, you can usually just drag and drop them onto prboom-plus.exe, but sometimes demos don't have extended headers and will need another .bat, like so:

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file Hamlet_pbboom.wad -playdemo demoname

17 hours ago, Breezeep said:

Whoops, I made another one.

Something Something Explosions (limit removing, -cl2)

This took longer than I hoped, Gameplay's probably rushed and all, but at least I got the urge to map over with.

UPDATE: Fixed a few visual stuff and slightly adjusted gamplay bits. Please redownload.

15 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Map made in a bit over an hour (well a lot over an hour including testing etc.) on stream. Was fun to make and it's a mess to play. Just the way I like it:

Smallfry

Midi: Port of Adia from Turok 2

Some FDAs. I'm really sleepy so these suck lol. Enjoyed both maps. 

couplefdas.zip

Makiko (vanilla)

I can't be fast and adroit at the same time , so here is a classic little map with weird texture use and some misaligned textures. :p

Map name : Makiko

Midi : Routine - Trauma center : Under the knife.

Time : 1h05 (without counting the mandatory bug-fixing)

DRACULA

This morning I was motivated and nostalgic so I made a ugly little 1994-1995 oldschool map this time. Have fun.

Map name : Dracula

Midi : Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement

Time : ~55 min

Format : Vanilla

Never thought I'd finish a map in such a short time but here we are. Tried to make things interesting by not using any actioned linedefs (bar a few essentials) and I think things turned out nicely, was certainly fun mapping at least!

Name: Dropped

Time: ~90 minutes total (including bug fixing and playtesting)

Music: "Hellfire Stage 1"

Download

Enjoy!

Edited by amok

I never tried speed mapping because I figured I wouldn't be able to complete an acceptable map on account of my not being that fast a mapper. But I opted to challenge myself. I ended up with an initial build time of 80 minutes (just sectors, switches, texturing, heights, etc.) with another 15 or 20 in placement of things. I haven't even gotten to play testing and tweaking yet.

I know there have been maps submitted that come in over the hour mark, but I don't know how far the rules of this thread can be stretched since the title is "1 Hour Speedmaps."

On 1/29/2018 at 0:29 AM, Pegleg said:

I never tried speed mapping because I figured I wouldn't be able to complete an acceptable map on account of my not being that fast a mapper. But I opted to challenge myself. I ended up with an initial build time of 80 minutes (just sectors, switches, texturing, heights, etc.) with another 15 or 20 in placement of things. I haven't even gotten to play testing and tweaking yet.

I know there have been maps submitted that come in over the hour mark, but I don't know how far the rules of this thread can be stretched since the title is "1 Hour Speedmaps."

As neither @Breezeep nor anyone else seemed concerned about the time I took for the map, here is my level. There's something oddly freeing about speedmapping.

Title: Loop at the Nukage Plant

Format: Vanilla

Textures and music: Stock Doom 2 only

Map slot: Map 01

Time: ~100 minutes for layout and thing placement plus another 30-40 45 minutes for play testing and fixing bugs and missing textures.

Difficulty settings: Yes

Co/op starts: Yes

Deathmatch implemented: Yes (rudimentary, but 4 DM starts are there)

Tested in: Chocolate Doom, PrBoom+, ZDoom, GZDoom (works in all)

Download link

Edited by Pegleg : Add details about difficulty settings, multiplayer starts, map slot, and stock textures, and corrected testing time.

Map Name: Thomas Mustard-stain

Download: TomMustardstain.zip

Midi: MAP17 from tnt.wad

Time: 1hr (5m drawing paper, 55 min doombuilding) + ~10 min playtesting/fixing broken doors

Format: Doom2 - Complevel 2

RRZ2DNy.jpg

Edited by NoisyVelvet : added hyphen to map name

demos for the 4 latest maps.

Slad Tech - Accidentally played this in cl 2 so obviously the bridge didn't work so sorry about that! Nicely loops around and easy throughout (which is never a problem!), only issue would be monster placement - I think the rooms are just a tad too big for the HK and Demons. The AV is easy-pickings too with those tight corridors.

Rocko - This was my second try since I assumed the lift was a one-time trigger and quickly reset! I like the layout and texture theme throughout although I got quite confused by the yellow key room - it's mostly me being an idiot but I'd lower the yellow key by a few units just to make it more noticeable, or even stick an imp on there. I think the final 2 HKs were ill-chosen too, you need some immediate danger since the exit is right there like a couple revs or chaingunners.

Loop at the Nukage Plant - Reminds me a lot of the IWADs but bitesized and plays just as good. Probably too generous with the starting items, I think just a simple shotgun and green armour would suffice. That little room that the lift leads to would be perfect for the SSG - you have a sightline right from the start for an immediate goal and at the moment there's nothing in there. The texturing could be an issue too, with the many tight corners and small rooms all the same colour its easy to get lost even in such a small map!

Thomas Mustard-stain - Another solid map, looks and plays very well for a 1 hour map. I didn't particularly like the end trap given the lack of weapons and open space since I feel like you're encourage to rely on infighting - a rocket launcher or plasma hidden among the monsters might've been better, especially if you release additional monsters by grabbing it. Great work with the secrets too, I love the misleading blursphere and the automap hint to get it. Brilliant stuff.

Demos.zip

mostly fda** dump for remaining maps: noisy_1hrSpeed_2.zip

I played all of them in cl9 for convenience, even the ones designed for cl2.

I have no idea what versions of the maps i played, if you posted multiple versions

The maps, for_zzul and for_archi, have softlocks.  I consider softlocking a map an exit for my personal score-keeping.  However, I did put some extra time in to get a traditional exit for them.  for_zzul was a fucking tease; short, obviously beatable, but too easy to die on, heh.

-for_zzul.wad was ridiculous with the pencil-platforming: I couldn't get the platforming for like forever, and then when i finally got it, it stuck and i got it a few times in a row.  You can alternatively vile-jump if this is too hard (which is what i tried doing at first and succeeded two times but still died at final fight)

-Hamlet_pboom.wad was close to being the best in the set, but actually became the worst in the set because of all the zdoomisms (ie: blocking ceiling decorations everywhere).  Just my opinion tho; aside from those, it's great considering the 1hr block.

Also, it looks like there are about 28 maps so far submitted.

** I didn't include all the demo for for_zzul.wad and for_archi.wad, but instead included a first exit.  

6 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

-Hamlet_pboom.wad was close to being the best in the set, but actually became the worst in the set because of all the zdoomisms (ie: blocking ceiling decorations everywhere).  Just my opinion tho; aside from those, it's great considering the 1hr block.

** I didn't include all the demo for for_zzul.wad and for_archi.wad, but instead included a first exit.  

I did feel bad about how clunky some of that stuff was (mostly due to my unfamiliarity), and i wasn't sure if I could fix those little things since it meant I sort of went over the 1 hour limit too much (not sure if it counted as bug testing). But if you still wish, I believe this version is a lot cleaner as i fixed the sky issues, changed some of the architecture so you wouldn't get stuck so often, and moved/changed some decor so it was less sticky and annoying.

Map: Hamlet

Style: Boom format (pretty certain this time, cl9)

would love to see the polished version, but if you want to keep the older one that's fine too.

DFF_Hamlet_PRBOOM.zip

Here's one I made earlier, for Triacontathlon. Consider this a teaser. I'm pretty sure it works in vanilla.

Also, you need to play on MAP04, because I've literally just lifted this from dev folder. Normally it uses a red sky and some subtle music.

ph_clng_map04.zip

1 hour ago, NoisyVelvet said:

fda for @Phobus's map and @DerFurer'sFace update noisy_1hrSpeed_3.zip (both complevel 9)

Hamlet is still sticky, but it's only some ground decorations, and they're fewer apart.  The map looks good visually i.m.o.  I also didn't see an archvile at the end this time, heh.  I still died tho at the end cuz i suck :p

I removed the arch vile since the idea of him reviving everything and forcing the player to get stuck in that tiny cave seemed a bit much. i did notice it was still sticky in places however i tried to keep them only by walls and not high traffic areas, and i did still want SOME decoration. but glad to hear its better.

Did a Demo for @NuclearPotato's Slad Tech

simple but fun, just barely had enough ammo XD

Also i never realized how kickass some of the doom tracks were with prboom's midi/mus composition.

i re-included the map since i had to rename it to take a demo.

SladTech_DFFDemo.zip

Little late for party, but anyway

Map: The Garden of Delights

Build time: around ~100 minutes

Format: Boom for Doom2

Pink sky with mozarts rondo alla turca, have fun

Download garden_of_delights.wad

I made a little something. Not exactly a typical doom map, I would say it's closer to a slaughtermap, only easier. You have to press all the buttons in the map, then make your way to the exit, all while sprinting in between hordes of monsters and dozens of cyberdemon rockets. I usually never make maps like this, so I decided to experiment a little. I can't decide if it turned out good or bad, but I tried my best, here it is:

Name: Cyberdemon Massacre

Build Time: 60 minutes of building, about 30 minutes of bugfixing

Format: GZDoom/ Doom in hexen format

Cybermassacre.zip