Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drak santaclaws

amd or intel

is it real that intel processors have calculating problems?, i was wondering if i should buy an amd athlon xp or a pentium 4 2.2 ghz with rim???, which one of this could run smooth graphics with a geforce3 ti 200 64 mb???

i have not found too much benchmarks about it, could you help me????

I don't know shit about processors, but I'm pretty sure both of these are good processors and shouldn't have any problems running Doom III (unless you're one of those people that would spend a hundred dollars more on a processor to get a one or two percent speedup).

No, it is not true that Intel processors have any problems with calculating anything! That's plain rubbish!

Whether u choose AMD or Intel, you will stay happy with your choice! :)

My brother claims that Intel has a tendencey to be more expensive than AMD for the same performance.

I say go for the one you can afford. AMDs are much cheaper - say 2/3 the price for the same performance. The highest-end Intel's seem to beat the highest-end AMD's in Q3A by a good deal due to better memory throughput, though. This could make a difference in DOOM 3. But as we know that any of today's top performance CPU's will be more than enough for running DOOM 3 at 60 fps (I assume), you could just go for an AMD and save some $100. Unless you have the money to afford an Intel of course :)

Intel processors don't have any calculation problems. The first Pentium had a bug in its FPU lookup table that sometimes would yield erroneous calculation results, but that was resolved quite a while ago...

AMD is generally way cheaper than Intel and delivers pretty much the same performance. Every new chip that comes out either from AMD or Intel beats the rival's latest product in terms of gaming performance, so it doesn't really matters.

Nevertheless, Intel has cut more than 50% of the price on their latest 2.4ghz chip, so it will be even more difficult to tell them apart in the future. :)

As for me, I preffer Intel because they're big enough to have lots of coders making Pentium-optimized patchs for all the applications I frequently run.

Yeah, like Zaldron says, many apps are optimized for Intel processors. Usually not much difference though.

I think all the real gamers go for amd.. it is more compatible with GPU's and its eazy overcloakable and its cheap.. but I wouldent go and buy a pc for doom3 now or even upgrade..

and you keep the "ge-force3 ti 200 64 mb"?. if so.. the GPU is the bottleneck on game speed.. so I would suggest getting another 3d card also.

Fredrik said:

Yeah, like Zaldron says, many apps are optimized for Intel processors. Usually not much difference though.

+15% performance increase in MAX4.21 = /me is happy.

HAMMER-STROKE said:

I think all the real gamers go for amd..

No.

it is more compatible with GPU's and its eazy overcloakable

No.

Heh. I'm saving for a new CPU/Mobo too... I'm not set on what I'm getting yet, (I still have a fair amount of saving left to do :/) but I was bending towards a P4, somewhere above the 2Ghz line, if I had enough money a month before Doom3 is released.

Shaviro said:

No.

wel.. all the gamers I know all use AMD.. because of the pure performance

Shaviro said:

No.

I read this on tweakers.net (dutch pc hardware site and community)

and the eazy overcloakable thing is deafenatly true.. you can say all u want.. but I dont see you easely unlocking a pentium 4 by just connecting some thingy's with a pencil line

I thought more gamers used AMD because they were cheaper, and so they had more money to spend on meaty graphics cards...

Dima said:

No, it is not true that Intel processors have any problems with calculating anything! That's plain rubbish!

Whether u choose AMD or Intel, you will stay happy with your choice! :)

Some dos program tends to do that. Forgot the name tho.

RailGunner said:

Some dos program tends to do that. Forgot the name tho.

Just like how scandisk told you that that 300mhz computer was a 1.5 ghz. Right...

HAMMER-STROKE said:

I read this on tweakers.net (dutch pc hardware site and community)

and the eazy overcloakable thing is deafenatly true.. you can say all u want.. but I dont see you easely unlocking a pentium 4 by just connecting some thingy's with a pencil line

that is the single most archaic way of overclocking i've ever seen. Here's the lowdown

yes, AMDs are overclockable, but it all depnds on the FSB of the motherboard and the speed of your RAM. This applies to Intel chips too! (Duh)
Nowdays the BIOS is all you need to 'tweak' to overclock. I don't even have to open my machines up. Pencil line, wtf.
Anyway, the superior L2 cache of the Pentium4 outperforms all the AMD chips, so for gaming, a large L2 cache is the way to go.
You motherboard is JUST as important as your CPU if you want to set up a new system. If your MB is shit, then a powerhouse CPU can do nothing but push data though bottlenecks, limiting it's performance greatly. Some new chipsets for Intel are really nice, the AMD chipsets have slowed down a little. I running the best chipset AMD supports now, with DDR333 (PC2700 DIMMS).
Some new P4 boards are coming out (i have one on the way) that support DDR400, some of the fastest ram available. RDRAM is overpirced and slow, avoid it.
Please, if you do overclock any of these new chips, make sure you have a certified AMD/Intel cooling system. The AMD chips (XP class) all run freakin hot out of the box, so be careful with them.

The calculation bug was way back the the original class Pentium 90 chips were released! I've never heard of any such problem from Intel since. And, many people don't know this, but WinXP is a stupid bitch when it comes to AMD chips/chipsets. It configures itself like you're using an old piece of shit CPU, doesn't even enable L2 caching on AMDs (you have to do it by hand in the registry, boo!) So, I've tweaked out WinXP like a motherbitch on my sharp new AMD system and everything's running great.

I do use my AMD for a gaming machine, and I have a GeFroce4 4600. It's very nice, but i could use a little more RAM.

My P4 is slowly comming together. I know much about CPUs and chipsets. Just gimme a holler sometime.

HAMMER-STROKE said:

WTF is pure performance? The latest P4 Northwood has better performance than the latest AXP.

[and the eazy overcloakable thing is deafenatly true.. you can say all u want.. but I dont see you easely unlocking a pentium 4 by just connecting some thingy's with a pencil line

uhmm... You don't need to do the pencil thingie. P4 Northwoods are very overclockable.

Use3D said:

RDRAM is overpirced and slow, avoid it.

It's overpriced, yes. But it's definitly not slow. RDRAM 1066 is faster than DDR 400.

ahh well.. i could be just wrong or i am just a focking AMD fanboy :P

and you need to put some pencil lines to unlock it before you can pull out a extra 0,5 gighz out of your chippy (you need some big ass fan or a water cooler to keep your chippy alive)

and the speed of a pc doesnt comes totally out of the CPU.. more out of the memory usage and the RAM

Hmm, I've heard about the "pencil overclock" on lower end Radeon 8500's, but I haven't heard anything about that being possible on an AMD system.

Use3D, I disagree with you there. RDRam may be a little more expensive, but it is far from useless.

Use3D said:

And, many people don't know this, but WinXP is a stupid bitch when it comes to AMD chips/chipsets. It configures itself like you're using an old piece of shit CPU, doesn't even enable L2 caching on AMDs (you have to do it by hand in the registry, boo!) So, I've tweaked out WinXP like a motherbitch on my sharp new AMD system and everything's running great.

Could you develop this subject please ?

One importnat thing all WinXp users should look into is the extra worthless features WinXP loads everytime it starts. This is what contributes to WinXP being such a memory whore. In the RUN windows, type services.msc
This allows you to decide what 'services' winXP runs on your mahcine. Many of these are pointless, useless and otherwise stupid, and they use up some serious memory.
On tweakxp.com there are many tips and guides to making sure winXP is working for you, not the other way around!

Ok ok, maybe i was a little hard on RDRAM, but if you're on a budget, AMD doesn't support RDRAM, and DDR400 is already available for AMD chips.

well, i too have 256 PC2100 in my AMD machine and it's slowing me down. the cheapest place i've seem 512 PC2700 is still $160, and being a working stiff that's a wee much. I plan to get the new DIMMS for my P4 and my AMD at the same time.

Use3D said:

This allows you to decide what 'services' winXP runs on your mahcine. Many of these are pointless,

Yes. BUT some of them are -vital- to the system.

Always, ALWAYS check the dependencies for each service in the properties tab. It's really really easy to disable WinXP for good if you're not careful.

Zaldron said:

Yes. BUT some of them are -vital- to the system.

Always, ALWAYS check the dependencies for each service in the properties tab. It's really really easy to disable WinXP for good if you're not careful.

yes i shoulda mentioned that. i figured it was a given to alwyas read and imform yourself before making changes to the OS. Thanks zaldron

It's more of a safeclamp warning. I already had to reinstall XP twice at a friend's house for that very same reason ;)

bigbadgangsta said:

Just like how scandisk told you that that 300mhz computer was a 1.5 ghz. Right...

No, it was FDisk wasn't it? :P

Well personally I don't give a rat's ass about what does who and where...as long as the fucking processor runs the OS and the games I play, I'm happy.