Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zanieon

[Debut Release] MMDCXIV - Journey into 27 Century

I fired it up quickly with Zandronum, but i have a lot of textures missing (decorations, i think....). What can be the cause?

@grrfield currently Zandronum doesn't support attenuated dynamic lights, which this map is entirely based on, it has to be GZDoom 3.2 versions, and for missing textures, probably it's because you have loaded with Ultimate Doom i guess? I edited OP to specify IWAD as well, sorry for that then.

22 minutes ago, Zanieon said:

@grrfield currently Zandronum doesn't support attenuated dynamic lights, which this map is entirely based on, it has to be GZDoom 3.2 versions, and for missing textures, probably it's because you have loaded with Ultimate Doom i guess? I edited OP to specify IWAD as well, sorry for that then.

Started it with zan 3.0 and doom2 as iwad.......

demo.png

That's what i'm talking about, all those missing actors are actually dynamic lights, a new group of dynamic lights that currently exists only in GZDoom, the map is not compatible with Zandronum by feature standards.

4 hours ago, Zanieon said:

That's what i'm talking about, all those missing actors are actually dynamic lights, a new group of dynamic lights that currently exists only in GZDoom, the map is not compatible with Zandronum by feature standards.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.... i'm a multiplayer doomer and always play Zandronum and for the rest kinda ignorant bout technical stuff like that.

@DoodGuy Probably, this is not like Hunter's Moon maps with extremely huge architeture and open fields with terrain for the sake of lag, it is actually a lot more enclosed and smaller, so performance shouldn't be affected at all, it should play like UAC Vinur Prime Research Base in that terms but actually being reasonable in size.

@grrfieldNo worries, i thought about that, many people actually uses Zandronum as an easy way to quick setup Doom for multiplayer.

@StormCatcher.77 Unlike Akzos City that has zero gameplay, this one is actually functional, just short in gameplay time for now since ehh, it's a demo OFC.

18 hours ago, Zanieon said:

What are the numbers of the attenuated dynamic light things? I am thinking about switching to those instead of the normal point lights since I am *once again* having annoying wall lighting issues with another map of mine, this time my 4800 hell knights map, I am trying to line a wall with a light texture on it with, well, lights but only like half the walls are getting lit, it looks so weird and crappy, here is a picture of what I am talking about

Screenshot_Doom_20180122_122516.png

19 minutes ago, therektafire said:

What are the numbers of the attenuated dynamic light things?

9830~9834

Latest GZDoom Builder versions shows them already when opening a map in GZDoom: Doom 2 UDMF configuration, not sure about SLADE and other editors.

1 hour ago, Zanieon said:

9830~9834

Latest GZDoom Builder versions shows them already when opening a map in GZDoom: Doom 2 UDMF configuration, not sure about SLADE and other editors.

Well I have to use eureka right now for several reasons and it sucks at knowing about Zdoom stuff, I think it only pulls from a predefined list of thing values based on a specific config file for the iwad you are using or something because it won't recognize decorate items when you add a resource wad that has them in it. Obviously you can put them in and they will work in the game just fine when you test, they just don't show up properly in the editor. The fact it lacks pk3 support (from what I can tell) is also kind of a big problem because I can't resolve the issues by importing the gzdoom.pk3

Also where is the yellow key in your map? I've checked every room multiple times and still can't find it :(

The Yellow key is not currently present in the map, that Yellow Access door you see actually is the representation of a secret the old map had, it is a secret based more on memory of the player tbh, by now that the map is small you will remember that door, but in the old map due to them stay located right in the beginning of the map with the Yellow key being the last key picked up which leads to the exit, players usually forgets that door so i made it a secret in the old map due to that, it will be kinda the same case for this map, the door is there because that area is already mapped, but the place where the yellow key will appear isn't, so currently it is more a ignore this thing.

I would try this map, but I'm afraid that my laptop and gzdoom will scream.

Anyway, this maps looks great and gorgerous and believe in game it looks more better ;)

Just bumping this to announce that it will not be a single map release anymore, so stay safe that if you wish there was more maps in this style after playing this first one, they'll come in time.

Bump!

Enjoy the glimpse of future that is about to come with the first map completely finished!

If only this were in 2612 instead of 2614.

*Doubts there's anyone here who'd link up exactly why he'd say that, but will feed those who do likes*

Looks really nice though! I might have to give it a spin.

4 hours ago, Zanieon said:

@Korozive I have abolutely no idea :V

I think GZDoom won't even open by itself with a 486.

It was a joke. lol

Is this playable with Zandronum?

*edit* I can open it but there's gonna be a bunch of the red exclamation points. great

Another candidate for 2019 Cacowards.

Has my vote.

Oh wo/man, those model doors are most impressve. The only small beef I have

with those is, no garbage collection when a corpse falls in the doorway.

Spoiler

pgtORp2.png

Edited by Kappes Buur

Thanks people! I was in doubt if i made something wrong because i got almost no feedback comments during this entire week, but i was hoping to get some after Icarus reviewed the thing.

@Kappes Buur @DooMtronBOT Thanks y'all! And yeah those doors functions entirely by lines, later on during this weekend i'll publish the resource pack containing only these doors to people know how i did them and use them in their own maps if they want to (with the possibility of easily creating their own doors due the high modularity i made in the code), but indeed they has some issues due to their behavior being completely different from a default Doom door.

I'm a man btw.

Honestly, what i'll be trying with this map pack is some experimental things like these doors among other ones as well.

@leodoom85 I just watched the thing, and yeah most of what he stated i was doing with such intention, since this is going to be a map pack afterall i was aiming for a regular difficulty scaling in the enemies, that's why this map has mostly Zombies, Imp and Pinkies. The finale though is something that i was in doubt about, and about that i'm defintely open to change the amount of supplies/enemies it if necessary.

The gameplay is also vanilla because i intended it to be playable with mods, the second door even has a check for gameplay mods to see if they're compatible, but i already have Hunter's Moon to brainstorm enough about gameplay rules and designs, i don't think i could handle another one.

I gave you most of my comments already on Discord, but here for completeness' sake:

+ I really, really like the look of it. It looks very "clean" and futuristic and those animated lights look really impressive. Once you enter the big area, it really feels like a "city" and it took me almost 1,5 hours to complete it, because I was constantly staring at things.

+ I have no problems with a slow monster progression, because I am not a good player anyway, hehe.

+ The music is quite awesome as well and very fitting.

- The doors open and close a tad slow, this can be a bit irritating when being in a fight. But you mentioned already, that's basically the fastest you can go with the animation.

- There are not enough resources to go to the final exit, imho. There are just too many monsters. I am not sure if avoiding some or most of the monsters is necessary, but I'd add some more ammo at least.