Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

John Cena in talks to star as Duke Nukem in upcoming movie

Oh look... Another movie based on a video game! What could possibly go wrong..? Also I don't like John Cena. Neither do I like the way he earns his money. But to each their own I guess.

Yeah, I can't see him working as a movie character, either. Funnily enough, I can sort of imagine a Commander Keen movie having some potential. But good luck with that ever happening.  

4 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Yeah, I can't see him working as a movie character, either. Funnily enough, I can sort of imagine a Commander Keen movie having some potential. But good luck with that ever happening.  

Commander Keen would work wonders as some sort of CGI sci-fi adventure film, yeah. I actually kinda want to see it happen, because I can actually see it working out if not really being all too special without the right studio behind it.

He's the right person to play Duke in a modern era. Good luck selling the movie. Duke. Cena. Video game movie. Wrestler actor lead. I want to see it happen. It will be a terrible movie.

The late 90s had a lot of movies in talks with pro wrestlers. The late 2000s had a lot of movies that had MMA stars.

John has also said in an interview 15+ years ago that he got his first acting job by coming in, sitting down and saying "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum and I'm all out of gum." The show was Manhunt.

... Cena is in the 2018 BumbleBee Transformers movie. Wow... BumbleBee has his own movie now.

Edited by geo

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Neither do I like the way he earns his money.

Eh?

John Cena has the look and he can be a huge smartass when he isn't being a giant corny child or doing terrible Ned Flanders language. This could actually work depending on how serious this movie takes itself.

Edited by wheresthebeef

So basically we're getting a movie where aliens take over the world and a badass has to stop them? Because film has never seen that done before? Because today's younger movie-going audience knows or cares who Duke Nukem was?

So, how many things will they get blatantly wrong or change? Will it be rated PG-13? This movie hasn't even started and it's already on its death bed.

1 minute ago, Spectre01 said:

But could it be worse than the Doom movie?

To be honest, The doom movie wasn't that bad. 

4 hours ago, Ajora said:

A Commander Keen movie could be a pretty nice family cartoon thing, whether feature film or TV show. Only real problem with it is that the hero is a kid, and kids typically don't like to watch kids do fancy stuff, unless it's done in a fantasy-tale world that transforms a regular kid into a super-hero. Either way, it needs to be done well, which means the filmmakers will have to give a shit.

I find it a complete mystery why they're talking about adapting Duke Nukem to the big screen at this time (everyone else has already pointed out why it's a bad idea) - Huh, maybe they intend to make it a parody of some sort.

Welp, given how notorious movies based on video games are and the state of the Duke franchise, if it does see the light of day it's probably going to be the final nail in its coffin.

So much negativity in here. I for one am excited. We need more movies like the old classic badass action hero movies akin to Commando. Here's to hoping the movie happens and it's at least watchable like what happened with the Doom movie. Only this time we just have to worry about all the salty SJWs getting offended by every little thing Duke does and says.

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

I'm hoping for a "so bad it's good" kinda movie.

And when I say this I actually hope it will be like this. I mean, who the hell wants Duke Nukem to be complex and emotional? It should be done in a way that it knows it's stupid and that's not such a bad thing.

I don't really mind them screwing up the Duke property cos I've never thought it was any good. starting from the 3D games it has been an exercise in the worship of excess and stupidity. they'll try and do the Deadpool thing with this but Duke isn't as appealing a character and his universe is paper-thin

6 minutes ago, yakfak said:

Starting from the 3D games it has been an exercise in the worship of excess and stupidity. 

But that's why we love Duke!

I'd like it to be "so bad it's good" in the Doom 2016 story way with a bit of Duke Nukem flavor in it. You know it's stupid but it's also kinda smart in a weird way.

I'm more hoping they go full absurdist with it a la Kung Fury but with just a touch more vulgar/offensive humor, but I doubt they'll go that route. The unfortunate reality is that most video game movies are actually totally unrelated to the source material, random shit with a few references to said video game thrown in. They also tend to totally lack self awareness of how ridiculous they are and I'm worried this will be no different if indeed it does happen. Hopefully not, but probably.

Who cares about the movie itself? What matters is that this means we're getting another kickass rendition of Grabbag! And maybe even more songs! Hell yeah.

i love duke nukem especially the parts where women are kidnapped and burst open from being raped by aliens i am a very adjusted individual haha

for god sake why not the original voice actor that is the saddest news i seen in this month!!!

noo.png

7 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

Duke Nukem is going to play really, really badly as a film character. His asshole persona is completely overshadowed by the world-endangering id-fueled monstrosity Donald Trump has become, he'll instantly earn the contempt of international audiences (especially China, the biggest audience in the world), he's very strongly associated with pop-culture references that are 20 or even 30 years out of date, and the recent games have a very bad reputation. Whoever greenlights a Duke Nukem film is making a costly mistake.

I donno, I could see someone like Paul Verhoeven turn Duke Nukem into a movie that half the audience thinks is satirical and the other half unironically cheers on (and their money both spends the same).

Though I guess even in that case, stuff like Fight Club and Starship Troopers arn't really more then cult classics (good for fans, not so much for merchandising)