Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xorceles

is right?

is right to make a total conversion game using freedoom and sell it on steam?

i mean a iwad not a pwad,i been wondering about that.

It would be legal unless it somehow violates Steam's Terms of Service (I haven't read them myself).

Whether it would be right is open to interpretation.

Well, personally, I think selling it kinda defeats the purpose of the "Free" in "Freedoom". Unless people are willing to implement a name change, that is.

Just now, Valgilton said:

Well, personally, I think selling it kinda defeats the purpose of the "Free" in "Freedoom". Unless people are willing to implement a name change, that is.

i mean a total conversion the name of the title and all resources and the wad name too

In that case, It's probably perfectly legal.

But as Spie812 said, Whether it's right or not is open to interpretation.

In my opinion however, I don't think it's a good idea to gain revenue off of freedoom, because it's more like a very large MegaWAD than a  game of its own.

Well if you want to make it a total conversion iwad then to edit it you would need to somehow turn the iwad from an iwad to a pwad then once you are done turn it back into a iwad again.

20 minutes ago, MrD!zone said:

Well if you want to make it a total conversion iwad then to edit it you would need to somehow turn the iwad from an iwad to a pwad then once you are done turn it back into a iwad again.

yes i'm using deutex to decompile the wad and edit the resources anyone knows a nice wad editing tool less buggy since xwe is buggy i am afraid of using it

and thanks for thee replys

4 hours ago, Xorceles said:

yes i'm using deutex to decompile the wad and edit the resources anyone knows a nice wad editing tool less buggy since xwe is buggy i am afraid of using it

SLADE?

Adventures of Square, Return of the Triad and Mega Man 8 Bit Deathmatch I would like to see on steam as free downloads. That way more people would know about them and play them. I would like to see platforms like GOG or Steam have a contribute feature for free games. You can contribute if you wanted to before downloading the game.

Here is a previous thread I discussed a while ago...

8 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

SLADE?

ok then slade3

8 hours ago, Halfblind said:

Adventures of Square, Return of the Triad and Mega Man 8 Bit Deathmatch I would like to see on steam as free downloads. That way more people would know about them and play them. I would like to see platforms like GOG or Steam have a contribute feature for free games. You can contribute if you wanted to before downloading the game.

Here is a previous thread I discussed a while ago...

oh thanks :D

anyone know about  a game based on freedoom's freedom already sold in steam/gog ?

Edited by Xorceles

Now that Steam and GOG are mentioned, I wonder if having Freedoom on either digital store as a free game would be a good idea seeing that Freedoom has got on the App Store and Google Play some times in the past (and even recently in another thread) and it might bring more exposure to the project and its intentions, especially being a free Doom IWAD with mod compatibility as a priority. But looking at Steam's reputation with its store front and some other things, I'm not so sure.

I should have suspected that Steam Direct might bring a problem, nevermind the countless shovelware that floods the store judging by the horror stories. That and paying $100 (plus a fee) to get an already free game on Steam does seem like a bit of a hassle, unless somebody is willing (and sort of acknowledged) to go through Steam Direct and have a sort of "official" store page of Freedoom on Steam, though I guess that's a bit doubtful.

After reading the FAQ for submitting games through GOG, it seems more plausible through there but still lies the question of who is willing to do it and whether or not Freedoom going on either store is something okay with anybody. Personally, I would like to see Freedoom on either store but I still remain a bit unsure about it ever going through.