Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Has anybody read the "The making of Doom 3" book?

I've never read any of the DOOM books. It definitely wouldn't be the DOOM 3 one if I ever get around to reading one. Boring game = boring book. I do own a copy of the Knee-Deep in the Dead book which was a pretty good read. The DOOM 3 novels aren't very popular. You'll probably get more feedback on a Barnes & Noble forum.

Boring? Well your free to believe what you will.. I would however give d3 more respect than that.. From a graphical and atmospheric standpoint it is great. Gameplay could have been polished, yes.. However there were many key design elements directly placed into Doom2016 because of Doom 3's amazing tech design. A perfect Doom 3 would have been one with trent reznors sound, no disappearing bodies, and just overall way more demons -

12 hours ago, Don_Faparotti said:

I've never read any of the DOOM books. It definitely wouldn't be the DOOM 3 one if I ever get around to reading one. Boring game = boring book. I do own a copy of the Knee-Deep in the Dead book which was a pretty good read. The DOOM 3 novels aren't very popular. You'll probably get more feedback on a Barnes & Noble forum.

This isn't a novel, it's a book about the making of the game. You don't even have to actually like Doom 3 for it to be an interesting book.

I bought it years ago. Pretty damned interesting read and plenty of nice high quality images of the various models, concept sketches and stuff.

My one major gripe with it is that the physical quality of the book is rather crappy. After a few years, the pages will start falling out.

Other than that, lots of nice info in it.

I also bought a physical copy years ago. The many spectacular full color images are indeed a big plus. Text wise you shouldn't expect something on the level of "Masters of Doom", but it is still interesting to read.

I used to own this, but I was foolish enough to lose it somewhere along the line *slaps hand*. It's true that the pages fall out after a while. I definitely recommend it to not only Doom fans but also to anyone who is interested in the overall history and evolution of gaming/graphics throughout the years. Doom 3 may have been quickly surpassed in terms of graphics and in other ways by Unreal Engine 3, but still represented a landmark/turning point in gaming, making this book still worth acknowledging not just by Doom fans but gamers in general.

I just got the book last week. It's much better than I expected in some ways but let me down in other ways. I was expecting a fairly dry read but instead it's filled with colorful high res pictures which is neat. But I am a bit let down with how it doesn't go into much detail on some of the design aspects of the game. A lot of the stuff can be found on the wiki anyway. But there is also some extremely interesting stuff, including an entire retelling of the story using the original script which includes characters that weren't even in the finished game. I haven't finished reading it but I might share some of the things from it once I have finished reading it.

3 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I just got the book last week. It's much better than I expected in some ways but let me down in other ways. I was expecting a fairly dry read but instead it's filled with colorful high res pictures which is neat. But I am a bit let down with how it doesn't go into much detail on some of the design aspects of the game. A lot of the stuff can be found on the wiki anyway. But there is also some extremely interesting stuff, including an entire retelling of the story using the original script which includes characters that weren't even in the finished game. I haven't finished reading it but I might share some of the things from it once I have finished reading it.

Do share, because i dont think ill ever read a book about doom :P(You might change my mind if you could share some interesting stuff).