Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Other games besides Doom, your brain became hardwired to.

I played a lot of Modern Warfare 2 team deathmatch when it was the hot ticket. My brother and a few friends wanted to get a clan going, and convinced me to try the multiplayer (I had already played the campaign).

So we started our clan, dubbed "PJHC", which stands for "Port Jervis Hard Core" and proceeded to play the hell out of the game for months. 

It was one of those brief times in my life that I truly miss and appreciate, like other stints with Q3A and Enemy Territory.

I've been playing more kakuro lately; it's like a cross between sudoku and a crossword puzzle. I thought of this thread after noticing my times improve drastically from some regular/habitual practice; I now recognize many patterns within numeric values and number of boxes, such as 23 and 3 boxes only being able to be 6/8/9 or 11 and 4 is 1/2/3/5, etc, as well as situations (typically involving 2x2 areas with only a couple combinations) where 2 boxes can only be one total number due to how they force other nearby numbers into their boxes, which in turn affects the second square of the main 2 in question, and thus essentially "solves" at least the sum of those squares, allowing the tougher rows/columns to be nailed down a bit further. 

As an example, this is a pic from one of the first puzzles I attempted since downloading an app for my phone, Real Kakuro, which I'd highly recommend:

HEkRUI1.jpg

If the top 2 boxes are 8/4, then the bottom 2 are 9/5=14; likewise, if the top 2 are 9/3, then the bottom 2 are 8/6=14. Thus, those 2 squares always add up to 14. Combine that with the 1/2 and we have 17, leaving 18 over 3 squares. This knowledge will help us whittle things down for that row. Above that we have a similar situation, with a 5/8 or 7/6=13, +3+2 is 18, leaving 22 for that row, which means no number can be below a 5 thus eliminating the 1 from the top right-most box which is yet to be penned in. We now know the position of the 1 in the right-most column that is yet to be penned in. This type of thinking would have helped me solve that puzzle faster, rather than it breaking my soul. I went back a couple days ago to see if I could beat my previous time on it since I no longer remembered anything about it and solved it in under 30 minutes :) By contrast, that first run through it took a little over 90, which ended in me screenshotting this for quick reference on what I was sure of later, since there is no save feature, then guessing at certain squares and piecing in the rest, heh.

14 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Off-topic I apologize but I just now noticed your avatar and it internally triggered me when I realized what it was supposed to be.

I had to remove that fucker from countless people's computers. I need a cigarette now.

Any Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games for pre-7th generation consoles/before 2007.

I play quite a few "impossible" games like Open Hexagon (<--Not me) and Geometry Dash (<--me), which basically force you to become hardwired to because that's the only way to really get good at them.

I'm also pretty okay-ish at Tetris.

Total Extreme Warfare series (enough to warn you to never ever get hooked because it becomes a job), Mario games, Team Fortress 2 or FTL.

On 30/01/2018 at 11:50 PM, taufan99 said:

Any Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games for pre-7th generation consoles/before 2007.

Oh man I forgot about this. I', pretty sure I could pick up a controller and within a few minutes be back up to scratch. I don't think I could cope on THPS2 because of the lack of revert, and definitely not on THS (THPS1, if you will) because of the lack of manuals heh.

During the late 00's , I was somewhat hardwired to the Mortal Kombat series, especially VS DC for memorising all those button combinations. I got my R2 trigger of my DualShock 3 jammed because of it!

Wolfenstein 3D / Spear of Destiny
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold / Planet Strike
Rise of the Triad: Dark War
Heretic
Hexen 1-2
Diablo
Quake
Duke Nukem 3D

Shadow Warrior
Blood 1-2
Redneck Rampage
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Postal 1-2
Carmageddon 1-2 / TDR 2000
Half-Life
Unreal
Silent Hill 1-4
Grand Theft Auto III / Vice City
Manhunt
RLH: Run Like Hell

Lots of old shooters and some other game series that I spent more time with than is probably considered normal.

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

Shadow Warrior

"I hope you were paying attention." .

xd.

1493381154_SW head.gif

Guest DILDOMASTER666

MGSV:TPP, Splinter Cell 3 and UFO EU

Lets see;

Quake

Doom 3/RoE

Half-Life

Afraid of Monsters (Half-Life Mod)

Cry of Fear (Half-Life Mod)

Half-Life 2

Black Snow (Half-Life 2 Mod)

Dead Space

Dead Space 2

System Shock 2

Silent Hill 1-3

Resident Evil 1-3

Penumbra Overture - Black Plague

Sonic The Hedgehog 1-3

Rise of Nations. Period.

God of War (Except 2018, haven't played it yet)

Morrowind

Tomb Raider

Half Life

Starcraft

Mass Effect

Fallout (New Vegas, mostly)

FEAR [1]

Skylanders

Skyrim (Not to the degree as Morrowind, though)

Dead Space

Wolfenstein (Save the newest ones. Couldn't get into them)

Gears of War

Crysis: 2 and 3.

COD: BO3.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance and V: Ground Zeroes.

God of War 3

Uncharted Drake's Fortune.

Tron: Evolution(yeah seriously).

Entirety of the Modern Warfare series.

Five Nights at Freddy's (Entire series).

Wolfestein 2 The New Collossus.

Dead Space 2.

SCP: Containment Breach.

Skyrim.

Transformers Fall of Cybertron.

And finally,

Spiderman 2 on the PS2!!

Edited by TFK

The only four I can think of that I can really instantly rattle off the mechanics for off the top of my head:

Team Fortress 2.

Total War: SHOGUN 2

XCOM: Enemy Within.

Bill Cosby Fun Game.

On 1/24/2018 at 4:10 PM, YukiRaven said:

Definitely DDR.  Even though I haven't played on an actual pad in a few years due to living on the 3rd floor of an apartment building, I still play Stepmania with a keyboard.  Even now my head just kind of instinctively matches certain patterns of arrows without looking directly at them, allowing me to simply maintain simple concentration rather than devote extra time to "decoding" the patterns.  Does that kind of make sense?

Something similar goes for me, especially over the past few months. Before recently, I had last played DDR maybe... nine years ago? Possibly even ten, I don't remember exactly. Got back into it last December and was able to do so pretty much instantly. I love how my family can look at it and they have no idea how I'm following it, but yeah like you it just... flows, everything (...mostly everything, crossovers in fast streams are the worst to read) is readable at a glance and I can put my feet where they need to be... mostly. I found out that a local arcade has a machine, so I've been going there recently, and just yesterday managed my first pass on a 15-rated chart (on the DDR X rating system; chart was Paranoia Survivor Expert). Was immensely satisfying.

I have a hard time not using the bar though :P

2 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

I have a hard time not using the bar though :P

That's one thing I never got used to.  Regardless of how difficult of the song, I can't use the bar otherwise I start messing up.

I need it because my balance is absolutely terrible otherwise, haha. The people who can pass the hard charts without using it blow my mind.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, Optimus said:

I can't think of many other games that makes my brain hooked in similar ways as Doom. Spelunky is my 2nd favorite game after Doom now. What about yours?

For me, I can name Quake, Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania on the NES, and Radiant Silvergun (Arcade/Saturn). I pretty much barely have to think when playing any of those. I like that.

I would say many NES games, Commander Keen (ID Software!), Starcraft. Last 2 years I became an avid TF2 player as well. Actually, thanks to TF2 I became a better Doom player, since before TF2 I never played Doom with a mouse. Now I am much faster and maneuverable.

The first 3 Zelda games for me. I've memorized them like I have the original Doom game and Doom 2. 

When I play the first Zelda, I can tackle that game in many different ways. One of the things I've always loved about the original Zelda is that it's non-linear in how you decide to do the dungeons in whatever order. You can even get the blue ring, big shield and white sword so early in the game before even doing a single dungeon. Any time I do a playthrough of this game, i usually consider what order I want to do the dungeons since it can be played in many different ways. 

Zelda 2 however is a different beast, and I have to grind my attack level up a bit at least before the 4th palace. I always go maxing out the attack first. Zelda 2's dungeon design stands out from most of the other games since the later dungeons with fake walls and the pit falls can definitely throw the player off. The Great Palace certainly lives up to it's name with all the dead end paths that are there just to fool the player (and rooms with the curtains to make you think you've found the boss, and then it's nothing). It's so easy to get lost in the latter dungeons of this game since the level design is tricky. 

Link to the Past is different and from years of playing, I've pretty much memorized where everything in the game is at. I can get through the first three dungeons in a little over an hour now. 

Other games worth mentioning - 

Super Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back - a lot of people on the internet seem to really hate this game due to it's difficulty (and hate on the other Super Star Wars games for the same reason). Most of the criticisms are usually "it's hard". I had this game growing up and I do not deny that it is hard as hell, and it's not impossible to beat. I played it so much, I began to memorize the game and could make runs through it. For experienced players, I will always argue that the Han Solo levels have the hardest boss fights. If you don't get the hidden shields power up vs the AT-ST in the Echo Base level, you're probably going to die very quickly. The ship at the end of the Cloud City level can really screw you, and the carbon freezing machine is next to impossible to finish off without the ion or plasma blaster. Though really, the hardest level in the whole game is the X-wing level at Cloud City, due to how the enemy fighters can fly under the clouds and it works like being under water and you can't see them shooting at you. 

Starcraft - The original Starcraft is one of my favorite games ever and I like to regularly do a run through the campaign at least once a year. I've gotten to a point where I can just breeze and steamroll my way through the Terran campaign up until the final map which requires a lot of work to complete. The Zerg campaign was always the easiest for me since I regularly played Zerg online and knew how to effectively build with them. Zerg campaign in Brood War is the real challenge. 

My main one for being hardwired is Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
Knowing the mechanics of boss patterns, where everything is to even partially route my "casual" speedrun of 100%. I'm no Xelna, but 2:43:35 imho is decent time for 100% run. But I also play the Randomizer version, and it takes all that you know to the test. Still learning on how to route better, maybe I'll hit sub 2:20:00 sometime.

Otherwise, Super Mario World and Star Fox I know all too well, play them fairly often. Minecraft next, but for Modded, knowing how to create complex structures or even get to a high tier somethingorother with out bug abuse; "If it gives me the keys, I will sure as hell unlock the doors. If it keeps the keys away from me, why not fabricate it 3 fold."