Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

Slow progress

Hello again.

Just letting you all know that I'm still alive and stuff. Progress has been a little slow due to things that came up in my personal life, but I seem to be on track again.

As for ZDoomGL development, there are some new things in it:

- worked out a bunch more bugs with SlayeR, mostly in Heretic/Hexen.
- polycount for each frame (gl_show_frameinfo 1 in the console).
- working on getting decals working: they load and display, I just have to get them aligned with and clipped to the wall segments now.
- created a new menu option in the Display Options menu: OpenGL Options (the old ZDoomGL had this, too). It allows for control over anisotropic texturing, line antialiasing, sprite billboarding mode, texture contrast, wireframe mode, screen clearing, and enabling/disabling depthfog.
- changed walls back to triangle strips because some cards don't like GL_QUADS that much (much slower)
- ported to ZDoom 2.0 pre13 codebase

After getting decals working properly, I'll be redoing the sky since it's pretty bad right now (imagine a skybox without the top and bottom). I'll pretty much be copying jDoom's sky, since I think it looks nice :)

timmie said:
After getting decals working properly, I'll be redoing the sky since it's pretty bad right now (imagine a skybox without the top and bottom). I'll pretty much be copying jDoom's sky, since I think it looks nice :)

Oh good! I was going to suggest that... I wish I had something useful do do or sat at this point... err ummm, keep it comming!

Timmie: Did you get my e-mail stating that the version you sent me just flat-out didn't work? I gave details on how I installed, but I suppose I should have included system specs too... (I don't know though, it shouldn't be relevant because if it would run the old ZGL, it should be able to run this newandimprovedoptimized version, right?)

Win98
256 Mb RAM
16 Mb ATI Xpert 128
333 Mhz K6-2 (yeah, yeah, I know, it'll be replaced soon enough)

Maybe you just accidentally uploaded a zip with the wrong DLL's?

Ultraviolet said:

Timmie: Did you get my e-mail stating that the version you sent me just flat-out didn't work? I gave details on how I installed, but I suppose I should have included system specs too... (I don't know though, it shouldn't be relevant because if it would run the old ZGL, it should be able to run this newandimprovedoptimized version, right?)

Win98
256 Mb RAM
16 Mb ATI Xpert 128
333 Mhz K6-2 (yeah, yeah, I know, it'll be replaced soon enough)

Maybe you just accidentally uploaded a zip with the wrong DLL's?

Heh, I guess I was at work when I got the email and forgot to reply to you. Just sent you the new fmod.dll! With that system, ZDoomGL will probably run kinda slow because I still haven't really optimized the engine that much, but you'll at least be able to see how it looks :)

The old ZGL worked quite smoothly, actually, and I don't think you could have seriously messed the new ZGL up, so it should be fine.

I'll know in a few minutes.

Heh, gameplay was smooth, but loading was hell.

The "static" overlay for the menu was nice.

The mipping looks mucho-cool on walls, but not on sprites.

The weapons are offset in such a way that I can't see anything but the recoil frame for the plasma rifle and the tip of the chainsaw. Didn't look at any other weapons but the rocket launcher.

A few pixels on the bottom of all sprites that touch the floor get clipped by it.

Maybe there should be an ATTN thread in this forum for bug reports. I've probably just listed a bunch of stuff that's already been reported to you.

i dunno if i was supposed to do something special to help test, but i never got a reply or anything regarding testing timmie's ZDoomGL. lemme know if i can still help, i can't wait to play this...

Ultraviolet said:

Heh, gameplay was smooth, but loading was hell.

The "static" overlay for the menu was nice.

The mipping looks mucho-cool on walls, but not on sprites.

The weapons are offset in such a way that I can't see anything but the recoil frame for the plasma rifle and the tip of the chainsaw. Didn't look at any other weapons but the rocket launcher.

A few pixels on the bottom of all sprites that touch the floor get clipped by it.

Maybe there should be an ATTN thread in this forum for bug reports. I've probably just listed a bunch of stuff that's already been reported to you.

When you run zdoomgl, it checks for glnode information and builds it if necessary. This, of course, takes a minute or so for the IWADs :) Hopefully loading is faster the second time. Also, it preloads the textures when you enter a level and that also can take a second or two.

What static overlay for the menu? Just curious what you mean. Same with the mipping on the walls/sprites...

Weapons don't display properly yet, it's still on my "to do" list :)

I can't do much about the sprites sitting in the ground because the offset for them puts them into the ground. The software renderer doesn't clip the bottom of them and disabling depth testing would really make things look wierd...

digit@l_pimp said:

i dunno if i was supposed to do something special to help test, but i never got a reply or anything regarding testing timmie's ZDoomGL. lemme know if i can still help, i can't wait to play this...

Heh, I made the mistake of publically inviting one person to test it and I got about a million responses =/ It's not really meant for public use yet, so I just picked a couple people at random...

Ultraviolet said:

Done. ;)

Slayer: w007!!!1

Timmie: By "static overlay" I meant, literally, semi-transparent static dancing over the titlepic when I hit escape.

The difference I was trying to point out between the mipping on walls and the mipping on sprites is that the edges of the sprites kinda look shitty. :P Should be alright if somebody makes hi-res sprites, though.

(It IS called "mipping" when a graphic is blurred to look smooth when stretched, isn't it?)

Ultraviolet said:

Slayer: w007!!!1

Timmie: By "static overlay" I meant, literally, semi-transparent static dancing over the titlepic when I hit escape.

The difference I was trying to point out between the mipping on walls and the mipping on sprites is that the edges of the sprites kinda look shitty. :P Should be alright if somebody makes hi-res sprites, though.

(It IS called "mipping" when a graphic is blurred to look smooth when stretched, isn't it?)

It's actually called "filtering" :) Mipmapping is when a lower res texture gets used when a face is at an acute angle to the camera, or just further away. Filtering smoothes the textures when they get close.

Hmm, the background for the menus should just be like zdoom's (a yellowish translucent overlay).