Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

[update 5/16] Boxes All The Way Down -- A bo(nnie)om map

Since bzzrak completely abandoned the Texture Extravaganza project, I'm pulling my map out and just releasing it standalone.

It's boom compatible. Zdoom is mildly discouraged (unless playing it in multiplayer with Zandronum).

Here's a Prboom+ starter pack if you're interested (includes instructions explaining almost everything you need to know to get (doesn't include the map)):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ik8431iwjazdc/prboom-plus-2.5.1.5-starterpack_v3.zip?dl=1

Name: "Boxes All The Way Down"

Compatibility: -complevel 9 (boom)

Build Time: yes

Music: Something from JCP because part of it sounded like smells like teen spirit
Screenies: 

Spoiler

yOs2Snk.png

d4YwJO1.png

riGPNss.png

Download: updated 5/16/18: bon_boxes_v8.zip

Changelog: 

Spoiler

v8: couldn't remember what I was working on last... probably just some bug fixes.

so i decided today to finally make a somewhat major alteration to the blood sewers this time, as opposed to shortening it by 90% like i've already done over the previous updates

this time i added something that spices and breaks up the gameplay

no other changes at the moment, and the current change wasn't tested thoroughly, and may result in the map being significantly easier

please report bugs or any negative balance impacts

also any node bugs, i had trouble with the nodebuilder before uploading

thanks to @marver0PS for alerting me to v7's link being corrupted!! otherwise this update may have never happened

The point of the map was to use only a set of 4 predetermine textures and flats, along with your choice of DOORTRAK or DOORSTOP, one switch texture, and one door texture (as well as any sky you wanted). I did what I could. I don't think the final fight is totally finalized, but I really can't think of anything to change it to, so it'll stay the way it is for a while before I upload to idgames. Feedback and demos appreciated.

here's one totally unbiased reporter's opinion:

Spoiler

"bonnie's submission for the Texture Extravaganza project is a tightly balanced and creative map. Limited to 4 textures and flats bonnie manages to several ways to keep the 40min+ map interesting and fresh. What I expected to be a giant crate maze ended up with huge outdoor areas and trips to the void (along with a giant cratemaze).

I found the difficulty to be almost perfect where I had to stay engaged constantly to survive but I wasn't dying unless I messed up. The health and ammo balance is spot on all the way through to the large encounters at the end of the map.

The traps are well thought out; they are rough but not unfair. Smart use of pinkies/specters went a long way. Then there's the trap where you have the crushers in play which again keep the map feeling fresh.

The map looks pretty good visually for the most part then really good in other parts. There's only so much you can do with an E2M2 type cratemaze but then when you get to giant crate pyramid or the void it looks really fucking cool. I'd recommend playing through the map just for those, it's worth noclipping around or using IDKFA to get all the keys to see all the interesting set-pieces. Pay attention to string changes too :)

I can't find much to fault on this map to be honest. bonnie executed the concept very well. I highly recommend downloading and playing through this map yourself."

yay bonnie

Love, bonnie.

bon_boxes_v7.zip 
bon_boxes_v8.zip

Edited by bonnie

I will play through this but you gotta understand that at 1400 monsters it is a big ass thing allocate time to playing.

I think you could have been patient with that particular CP, but if you must remove the map, you might as well remove the restriction because it makes little sense to keep it outside of that particular context, as the texture limits are not really relevant any longer. The map has some potentially cool vistas (which aren't shown from the screens given) that are kinda ruined by now-unnecessary crate textures and such. Spending some time retexturing the map would be highly beneficial to you in this situation, imo.

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I will play through this but you gotta understand that at 1400 monsters it is a big ass thing allocate time to playing.

The 1400 monsters is pretty misleading, a lot of them are concentrated in certain areas. Not saying it's a particularly short map, but it's certainly not as long as the monster count might suggest.

I played in GZDoom to see what the bugs were about. Only thing I noticed were invisible bars in the curvy blood sewers.

Map was okay. I did not care much for said sewers part, but otherwise, it was fine, especially the more surreal part once you get out of the E2M2-inspired area. I did like the string changes, though. "Game successfully savescummed" and "watch out for walls" made me laugh.

Excuse me ... how did @bzzrak abandoned the Texture Extravaganza? That is, we can not wait for the final assembly? There's also a whole bunch of great maps, especially since the project is almost ready... It's looks strange.

Yes, I remember that I passed one of the early versions of the map. I remember first of all the non-standard use of crate textures. This is a long map with not boring gameplay. And arhitecture stuff is good.

1 hour ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

That is, we can not wait for the final assembly?

We already waited 6 months. Now he wants that dl guy who hasn't been online in weeks to come back and finish that map he claimed he was almost done with over 4 months ago.

He's also talking about making a secret map himself, which will only add to the length. Before I dropped out, he had been completely ignoring everybody, including PM's I had been sending him. That's more than enough reason to assume the project had been abandoned.

anyways thanks for playing friend

Is this a slaughtermap? I am asking for a friend (my wrists)

@VGA are YOU a slaughtermap??

there are indeed small slaughtery parts near the end because i didn't feel like making actual gameplay ;~;

but they're easy i promise!!!

I self-identify as an American McGee map, I look good and I am easy.

OK, I'll play it over my daily coffee tomorrow!

Played through this tonight. The first part was a bit too mazey at times. I also had a constant lack of ammo and weapons. By sheer luck figured out how to get the double barreled. And there was no place to rest at all, constantly new enemies appeared in old places. Played on HMP and I died more times than I'm willing to admit. The only thing that kept me from ragequitting were the boxes. I have some irrational love towards those textures. Glad I kept going though because the map changes to a more fun experience after the first area. Some really nice visuals and fights towards the end. I enjoyed.

(Played with GZDooM.)

I'm gonna grab this and try it only because I've never played a Bonnie map.  Also, just like many others here...i'm gonna play it with GZDoom for the luls xp

6 minutes ago, guitardz said:

I'm gonna grab this and try it only because I've never played a Bonnie map.  Also, just like many others here...i'm gonna play it with GZDoom for the luls xp

Grab v7. You should chuck the updated version in the original post @bonnie

On 3/13/2018 at 11:43 AM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I beat your level.

thank you kind mister

i'm gonna put you down as getting 100% kills and a solid uv-max since you most likely only missed lost souls that flew up and over the cliffs at the pyramid, and lost souls dont count for kills

also those 2 archviles after the crusher area are optional, they get crushed if you teleport away c:

i also also noticed you were really scared of falling into the void, but i wanted to clarify this for you and anyone else:

1. the void is very easily escapable and only does minimal damage if you fall in
  2. i included tons of invisible floors around the area to ensure smooth movement, easy jumps, and that you can't get stuck between floors :D
  3. so basically you were never in any real danger there c:

-------------------------------------------------------------

anyways, it seems like v7 is the final true update. the only remaining things i want to change are purely cosmetic, such as mismatching box colors, the brown skybox being too bright, messed up string changes ("saveDscummed"? cmon bonnie [also i put a meme string for the "you need all 6 keys message" under the wrong string thingy so it never appears]), and some other things or something

i don't plan on actually implementing these changes until i release on idgames (whenever that happens), but basically just know that any demos you record won't desync from here on out (i mean like i know nobody was gonna do a cool uv-max demo or anything but still)

but yea, thank you friends for playing (and anyone who plays after)!!!

3 hours ago, bonnie said:

thank you kind mister

i'm gonna put you down as getting 100% kills and a solid uv-max since you most likely only missed lost souls that flew up and over the cliffs at the pyramid, and lost souls dont count for kills

also those 2 archviles after the crusher area are optional, they get crushed if you teleport away c:

i also also noticed you were really scared of falling into the void, but i wanted to clarify this for you and anyone else:

1. the void is very easily escapable and only does minimal damage if you fall in
  2. i included tons of invisible floors around the area to ensure smooth movement, easy jumps, and that you can't get stuck between floors :D
  3. so basically you were never in any real danger there c:

-------------------------------------------------------------

anyways, it seems like v7 is the final true update. the only remaining things i want to change are purely cosmetic, such as mismatching box colors, the brown skybox being too bright, messed up string changes ("saveDscummed"? cmon bonnie [also i put a meme string for the "you need all 6 keys message" under the wrong string thingy so it never appears]), and some other things or something

i don't plan on actually implementing these changes until i release on idgames (whenever that happens), but basically just know that any demos you record won't desync from here on out (i mean like i know nobody was gonna do a cool uv-max demo or anything but still)

but yea, thank you friends for playing (and anyone who plays after)!!!

Thanks for the information. I have a level that you may or may not be interested in trying out. It is titled "Ice Rage." It is a severely lengthy level and it took me 5.5 hours to beat it (contains over 11K enemies).

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/ir

6 hours ago, marver0PS said:

The download link for v7 seems to be corrupted.

thanks for letting me know friend! i was cleaning up my doom folders earlier today before you said this, and coincidentally saw a file called "bon_boxes_v8.wad" with no accompanying .zip file, which intrigued me since... i don't remember working on any other updates since v7

so when you mentioned that the link was corrupted, i decided to check out the v8 wad, but it was probably just some bug fixes that i decided weren't worth an update.

since i wasn't sure if there were actually any worthwhile changes or not, i decided to finally make a somewhat big alteration in the blood sewers. you won't notice it immediately, but it's there.

hopefully it makes the blood sewers more fun and aesthetically pleasing

i didn't have time to thoroughly test it though, so the overall balance of the map might be slightly worse now. please tell me if it is. also, i had some issues with the nodebuilder when i was saving the map to upload, so there may be node problems.

bon_boxes_v8.zip