Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Nebula

Kristian Aro Doom Millennium Maps Mini-Episode (EDIT: Now with Screenshots!)

Awesome! 

It's cool of you to dump these maps from this long anticipated project. That's not easy to do. I like the attention to detail, as was the trend of the top mappers in the late 90's. I hope the other Doom millenium mappers are inspired to dump their work here too.

Kewl :)

EDIT:Oh,btw, these are  rejected millennium maps,right?Or is this project canceled?

Edited by Catpho

Thanks for releasing these. I played the first 3 maps so far (the start of Map04 seemed rather harsh, so maybe another day). Two problems I found:

Map02: missing sky transfer

Map03: it's impossible to escape the megasphere secret!!

You can definitely sense the age of these maps while playing, and I like that feeling. I did not appreciate the barrel trap on Map02 but maybe I should have expected that after 2002ado e1m4. Actually, I didn't even see the barrels due to the darkness, so I tried using the chaingun as a flashlight and almost blew up into pieces. :D

Attaching some silly demos for the curious...

ka_mill01-03_mem_FDA.zip

19 hours ago, Memfis said:

Thanks for releasing these. I played the first 3 maps so far (the start of Map04 seemed rather harsh, so maybe another day). Two problems I found:

Map02: missing sky transfer

Map03: it's impossible to escape the megasphere secret!!

You can definitely sense the age of these maps while playing, and I like that feeling. I did not appreciate the barrel trap on Map02 but maybe I should have expected that after 2002ado e1m4. Actually, I didn't even see the barrels due to the darkness, so I tried using the chaingun as a flashlight and almost blew up into pieces. :D

Attaching some silly demos for the curious...

ka_mill01-03_mem_FDA.zip

Funny, that sky transfer worked fine in Zdoom, didn't see any leaking skies. I was going to fix the megasphere secret but forgot, thanks for reminding. Here's a fixed version: https://we.tl/H5QEKkIwTp

Edited by Nebula-Kristian

On 26.1.2018 at 3:00 PM, Catpho said:

Kewl :)

EDIT:Oh,btw, these are  rejected millennium maps,right?Or is this project canceled?

I don't believe it's canceled but I think after 19 years in development and no news for the last decade or so, I can release my input for it :)

15 hours ago, cybdmn said:

You know, some of us waited for a long time for Doom Millenium? :-D

And my prediction is that you can expect to be waiting for it forever.

3 of my 4 Millennium maps have been released in other projects long ago. But sadly a lot of the maps won't be. The big problem is the team could not find a programmer for the Millennium engine and the project just died as situations just got too complex and motivation was lost, that is my prediction. What started off as a boom compatible project, but many changes were made and there were more demands and that killed it big time.

4 hours ago, Nebula-Kristian said:

I don't believe it's canceled but I think after 19 years in development and no news for the last decade or so, I can release my input for it :)

It wasn't officially cancelled. Instead I think the project just wimped out and died. See my post above. Millennium is not the only one that died, many others have too.

Are you ready for some nostalgia? Look what i found on one of my hard disks.

In the third trailer is a short sequence, which seems to take place in the map, which is to be seen in one of the screenshots. ;-)

4 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

Are you ready for some nostalgia? Look what i found on one of my hard disks.

4 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

Hahaha, awesome! I remember those :D

Millennium missed the 31 December 2000/1 January 2001 release window, so they are waiting for the next turn of the millennium, 31 December 3000/1 January 3001.

I'm looking forward to getting my paws on a not of bona fide history this weekend! Also, those trailers made me chuckle. We really loved hype back then, didn't we?

These feel like old-school ZDoom maps, what with the use of Boom features like scrollers, translucency and deep water combined with lots of lighting gradients and bits of detailing. I like how the maps mostly rely on tight spaces for their challenge, meaning the enemy encounters happen over a lengthy adventure. If this is any indicator of the overall project quality, I think we all missed out! Good job and thanks for releasing these.

fda noisy_ka_mill.zip

prboom+ cl9 pistol start no saves.

There's a softlock on Map4 which I found before finding the Yellow Key (I count it as an exit)

These were longer than I'm used to so I had to force myself to focus more than I usually do.  Pretty tough from pistol start.  Thanks for the maps.

Cool thread! I'll definitely have to play these!

@Nebula-Kristian: I can post my Millennium map in this thread too, if you're okay with it. You know, to keep them in one place in case other maps pop up or something. Though, I'm not especially eager to do it, as it's not very good - especially gameplay wise! But for nostalgia reasons only I guess it could be interesting.

1 hour ago, Chris Hansen said:

Cool thread! I'll definitely have to play these!

@Nebula-Kristian: I can post my Millennium map in this thread too, if you're okay with it. You know, to keep them in one place in case other maps pop up or something. Though, I'm not especially eager to do it, as it's not very good - especially gameplay wise! But for nostalgia reasons only I guess it could be interesting.

Sounds awesome, @Chris Hansen - please do it! It would be good to get these out (which are possible to) and like me, you can adjust it a bit if you want so that it's more balanced. :)

Would be pretty cool if you could track down the rest of the Doom Millennium folks who are still around and try to get 'em to release what they had, making it a more complete experience.

Okay, here goes! I haven't changed anything as I simply don't have the time to go through it and correct the lackluster gameplay. And besides, I kinda already did that some years ago when I used this map as a base for High/Low 4. This is the original, a relic, a piece of history. Nothing more.

Bonus info: Back in 2000 when I made this map, I used DoomCAD 6.1 in Windows 98 and some old nodebuilder in DOS. Both of them treated me really bad and stuff would go wrong ALL the time. DoomCAD would crash randomly or the nodebuilder would screw something up. Slimetrails and visplane overflows was on the menu. Windows would freeze up or bluescreen! And I didn't know that much about Doom and all the possibilites with more advanced ports and editing. All I used to test my maps was Doom95. Basically, all I remember from that time, was that I learned to control my anger and that patience is a virtue! :D All this meant, that the plans I had for the map - and others at the time - would change all the time, as I had to do constant workarounds or redo entire areas. That really hurt all of my levels back then in terms of logical progression and appearence.

Anyway, enough excuses, here's the map!

2018-02-08.png

2018-02-08 (3).png

Quite a tough map there Chris, although it started off misleadingly manageable! Looked pretty good when the sky pillars had been raised, too.

Lovely mini-episode, thanks for releasing these. Now you can feel that these maps are dated but that's their charm. I really like the style of mostly stock textures with some custom ones and having simple yet detailed visuals, the gameplay was very pleasant. MAP04 was a bit spooky with its music, in the final area you can get stuck in the lowest pit of red rocks and a hanging corpse (thing 105) is blocking but idk if that was intentional.

16 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

DuacuacM MillenniuM

What even...

Oh God, the trailers.

Jamie just went ahead with so much stuff without anybody's approval or authorization.

He even did an "official soundtrack release" with CD and everything for his own music, half of which didn't even make the cut, not to mention he was one of two primary composers on the project and more of Jan's music than his own was being kept. I think we only found out about this when it was done and he'd submitted it as news to the Doom sites. Simon eventually tried to reign him in, to varying degrees of success.

For the record, I don't think any of us ever bought the CD.