Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obake

"Don't Be Greedy!", a Boom map for Ultimate Doom

Hello, Doomworlders!

Today is my birthday, and in preparation for such, I created a Boom compatible map (now in Doom 2 rather than Ultimate Doom): baday2.zip

The map should give plenty of interesting combat, and it comes with a twist. I also updated the switch behind the red door so it should (hopefully) work in Complevel 9. Since I don't know how to do Dehacked yet, it comes with a MAPINFO lump instead, but I'm hoping it will work in regular Boom and PRBoom+. The map is on Map01. Here are some screens:

Screenshot_Doom_20180127_081326.png.486f11bbc59c7d1103a0659050d99b6c.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180127_081335.png.650b991d92fb96d515421114c0cc971a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180127_081846.png.11a7d794ebd76c5c8d2831a5d765237d.png

Critique and playtesting is welcome! Think of this level as a gift to the community.

Speaking of gifts, if any of you out there wish to make a birthday map for me, you are more than welcome! However, taking a note from the late Thomas S Monson, the best present you could give to me is for you to find someone in need and help them. You don't need to tell anyone about it, either. Just knowing that people are out there helping others will make all the difference. Have a fantastic day, everyone!

Edited by obake : Updated map

You haven't loaded the Doom 2 textures into the wad, it seems. If it's just a standalone map that uses so many Doom 2 textures, and if I'm not mistaken doesn't use any Doom 1 only textures, why not just make it a Doom 2 map without any Doom 2 monsters or super shotgun?

Anyway, thanks for making and happy birthday. I'm not sure what the "twist" is, but I did miss the secret.

Here's my FDA for this level, recorded with PrBoom+ -complevel 9. Because of missing texture issue, you need to load Doom2.wad as a PWAD, in order to see this one properly: FDA_baday_antares.zip

And here comes some suggestions:

- Judging from the contents inside the level, I echo @HAK3180's opinion. This wad even needs to load Doom2.wad as a PWAD, because Ultimate Doom WAD doesn't have those textures from Doom 2. So you'll see lots of missing textures, if you don't load the Doom 2 WAD. I suggest you to use Doom2.wad as an IWAD, instead of Ultimate Doom one. That being said, the name of level should be MAP01, instead of E1M1. Alternatively, you can import those textures that you used from Doom 2 WAD, and put them inside your WAD as custom textures. In this way, you won't need to load the additional wad for your level.

- MAPINFO lump doesn't work for Boom; it's designed for zdoom compatible levels. So technically you don't need to put MAPINFO inside the boom compatible level. Plus, it seems like you forgot to put music parameter inside the MAPINFO, which means there will be no background music, if you run this wad on ZDoom.

- The last switch behind the red skull door doesn't work in complevel 9; it's interrupted by the other action linedef between the red skull door and the switch. Check out the FDA to see what happened with it. In order to fix this, you need to remove the action of that linedef (Line #433).

Anyway, happy birthday to you. :)

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and birthday wishes!

I will be updating the OP for a revised version of the map.

To make the red key switch work properly, you need the make the RK door a S1 and then the player should be able to hit the switch behind it. Using a GR trigger on a physical switch seems a little odd to me. Map was fine besides that—dunno if I picked up on the theme of the map, as I was plenty greedy and escaped unscathed. Liked the over-use of the lost souls... that's typically not an enemy you see used en masse. Happy birthday!

20 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Here's a quick birthday map (cl9). I don't have much time to map today. 

Took me a dozen tries but I got it in one go without the invul! Hardest part is trying to figure out what to do/where to go. My preferred method was unleashing everything at once. Poor SMM must be dizzy, lord knows I was watching her.

Thanks again for all the wishes, everyone, and thanks so much for map, Rdwpa! It's a good romp. Strange and fun.

Recorded casual hmp demo on prboom+ 2.5.1.4 with -complevel 9 parametrer. Got all things. I don't know if demo will desync for you, even if I tested it before I added it here. It was fun experience and I didn't die, as it happens on other maps. 

baday2 demo.zip