Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JagDogger2525

GZDoom not working in Fullscreen

So, my computer updated to the December 17, 2017 update of Windows 10 and ever since then, I am not able to play Doom in fullscreen at all. Just to get out of fullscreen, I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete into shutting my computer down. Whether I have it in windows mode and set it to fullscreen or I have it load to fullscreen from the boot menu, it still doesn't let me play. It just freezes.

What's going on?

7 hours ago, JagDogger2525 said:

So, my computer updated to the December 17, 2017 update of Windows 10 and ever since then, I am not able to play Doom in fullscreen at all. Just to get out of fullscreen, I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete into shutting my computer down. Whether I have it in windows mode and set it to fullscreen or I have it load to fullscreen from the boot menu, it still doesn't let me play. It just freezes.

What's going on?

Are you getting a black screen when it loads?  This has plagued me with things like the brutal doom starter pack.

What GFX drivers are you using? I have an RX 470 with Radeon graphics drivers, and GZDoom used to freeze when I upped to 1920x1080 then turned on fullscreen mode. Might just need to update drivers.

If you have a recent GZDoom, you can try borderless windowed mode instead of "traditional" fullscreen. Set win_borderless to true in the console; and set window dimensions to your screen's resolution.

11 hours ago, R4L said:

What GFX drivers are you using? I have an RX 470 with Radeon graphics drivers, and GZDoom used to freeze when I upped to 1920x1080 then turned on fullscreen mode. Might just need to update drivers.

NVIDIA GeForce 210 but that isn't really the concern because before the update, 12/17 update, I would just whip open GZDoom 2.3.2 and it would play like nobody's business, but after, 2.3.2 and 2.3.5 are both not working in fullscreen

13 hours ago, invictius said:

Are you getting a black screen when it loads?  This has plagued me with things like the brutal doom starter pack.

It all worked before - I get the screen that went up as it opened up - this is just basic generic GZDoom 2.3.(2/5) starting up Doom, Doom 2, Ultimate Doom, any source port - Like I tried Gez's idea and it just gets stuck on the console window as borderless window mode. I start Doom in fullscreen, it shows the Ultimate Doom title screen with music, and it doesn't allow me to do anything - before the update, that didn't happen

11 hours ago, Gez said:

If you have a recent GZDoom, you can try borderless windowed mode instead of "traditional" fullscreen. Set win_borderless to true in the console; and set window dimensions to your screen's resolution.

I tried that just now and it is getting somewhere but it still doesn't allow me to click anything. The console is still open and the cursor is still blinking but it's not allowing me to do anything.

Update: Yea, having "win_borderless true" made it work 50% because now it is rotating between title and info screens but still no clickage

Edited by JagDogger2525 : update

11 hours ago, R4L said:

yea - now I am getting back to where I started before my restart - as soon as I updated my drivers, I was unable to get the start menu to popup for proper shut down - I am thinking maybe just upgrade the card

8 hours ago, Empyre said:

Maybe you need to downgrade your drivers.

Check if your graphics drivers updated recently, and if so, roll them back to the previously installed version to see if that fixes it. If not, you could always try doing a DDU uninstall and then downloading the latest drivers for a clean install and see if that works. At least then, you can rule that out.

On 1/29/2018 at 0:30 PM, Empyre said:

Maybe you need to downgrade your drivers.

On 1/29/2018 at 9:10 PM, R4L said:

Check if your graphics drivers updated recently, and if so, roll them back to the previously installed version to see if that fixes it. If not, you could always try doing a DDU uninstall and then downloading the latest drivers for a clean install and see if that works. At least then, you can rule that out.

Soooooooo, I reset my computer (no graphics drivers whatsoever) and it didn't work - I updated the drivers, same result

Both no drivers and current drivers aren't working

Having no drivers at all is not the idea. My suggestion is to use older drivers, based on the theory that the latest drivers have broken Zandronum for you.

Keep trying slightly older drivers until you find the last ones that still work for you, uninstalling the drivers each time with the DDU that JagDogger2525 linked before you install the next ones so that you don't wind up with a messy mixture of more than one set of drivers.

On 2/2/2018 at 0:45 PM, Empyre said:

Having no drivers at all is not the idea. My suggestion is to use older drivers, based on the theory that the latest drivers have broken Zandronum for you.

Keep trying slightly older drivers until you find the last ones that still work for you, uninstalling the drivers each time with the DDU that JagDogger2525 linked before you install the next ones so that you don't wind up with a messy mixture of more than one set of drivers.

That's the thing - I was using the current drivers before the Windows Update, but then after, GZDoom stopped working in fullscreen mode, even with the current drivers

On 2/2/2018 at 4:19 PM, DoomGater said:

I don't wanna be too picky, but doesn't this belong to Source Ports  ?

This is a Windows 10 issue because GZDoom and ZDoom BOTH don't work

UUUGGGGGGHHHHH - I can't even get my work done properly without fullscreen

58 minutes ago, JagDogger2525 said:

This is a Windows 10 issue because GZDoom and ZDoom BOTH don't work

If it was a Windows 10 issue, everybody that used Windows 10 would be affected by this, and on a much larger scale as you claim it isn't exclusive to GZDoom. You need to look elsewhere, such as your drivers or any 3rd party OSD services you may have.

Edited by Edward850

Weird question but: are you running GZDoom in hardware or software mode?

I recently updated to 3.2.5 and I can't get it into fullscreen if I'm running software mode.

9 hours ago, Bauul said:

I recently updated to 3.2.5 and I can't get it into fullscreen if I'm running software mode.

I'm using 3.2.5 as well and fullscreen works fine both in Hardware and Software.

On 2/5/2018 at 7:32 PM, Edward850 said:

If it was a Windows 10 issue, everybody that used Windows 10 would be affected by this, and on a much larger scale as you claim it isn't exclusive to GZDoom. You need to look elsewhere, such as your drivers or any 3rd party OSD services you may have.

I reset my computer so there should be nothing affecting it and when I did the graphic drivers, it kinda made everything worse. I have NVIDIA GeForce 210 in my computer and I am trying to get everything going on Ubuntu (Doom Builder and GZDoom) - Slade can wait for use on Windows

On 2/5/2018 at 7:43 PM, Bauul said:

Software - but I didn't do hardware

Ok Guys, so it seems like it was something to do with Windows 10 on my computer - I had an old Windows 10 build and reinstalled Win10 and everything works perfectly fine now