Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

My Ultimate Doom Project

Allright, I've had a chance to play with the editor and I have decided that I am going to work on new maps for Episode 4 for Ultimate Doom.  I have already completed about 3/4 of E4M1, which I started two days ago.  I am an "old school" guy and I love Doom!  I am not going to give a release date because real life does get in the way (I have a wife and kids these days) and I have to allow for that.  I have set rules for myself while putting together these maps.

1.  I have been playing these maps from "Thy Flesh Consumed" to get that "feel" back, and for me what a better way to do it.

2.  I will be only using the original resource for this.

3.  Texture alignment will be spot on.

4.  I am not adding "new music".  Original music only!

5.  I am designing this with all skill levels implemented, including multiplayer.

6.  There will be deathmatch starts for each map.

7.  This will not be vaporware!  It will be done!

8.  I will be extensively playtesting these maps.  (I do have a few friends that will help me test the multiplayer side)

9.  I have been intensely analysing these maps.  Textures, sprites, weapons and the such and how to utilize these resources in each map.

10.  Is it going to be perfect?  Nope!  Is it going to meet everyone's expectations?  Absolutely not!  I can only guarantee that the maps will be very playable and hopefully enjoyable for the most of you out there.

11.  Some will say...awww come on!  Add some new music, or why not CC4 resource?  There are enough projects out there to keep everyone busy if you wish to do that.  For me, I believe in the K.I.S.S principle...Keep It Simple Stupid!

12.  I will update periodically in this thread to keep the community in the loop on progress being made, but again...I am not setting a completion date for this.

If you have specific thoughts about what you would like to see in this then please comment and I will look at each one.  I am doing this because of my passion for this great game.  I have been reading the numerous threads throughout the forums to get an idea on what the community is looking for and hopefully I can meet some of those expectations, and if you don't care for it then that's fine, you can always "change the channel."

Thank you everyone! 

Sounds good! 

Don't be afraid to ask for help! One thing I've been wishing for more of are short episodes that are primarily solo endeavours with a few guest maps peppered in between. I think this ultimately makes for a better project than 9 maps in a row by one author. Ancient Aliens did something like this and I think it was good move. 

It's usually good to work on a few maps at once so you can switch back and forth at your leisure, but don't spread yourself too thin. I'm a busy guy too and the biggest challenge with making maps is actually finishing them. I would recommend leaving at least a couple spots open in case you feel you're going to need some help completing it. Don't leave us hanging on an ambitious announcement that never delivers!

I love E4 so if you think you want an extra map at some point, I'll be happy to help :)

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing 9 maps from an author who hasn't mapped in a long time. Not sure if Cadman is going for a full-replacement or a handful of maps, either way I'm curious to see what it'll be like.

16 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing 9 maps from an author who hasn't mapped in a long time. Not sure if Cadman is going for a full-replacement or a handful of maps, either way I'm curious to see what it'll be like.

I am going for a full replacement, not just a handful of maps.  I've already started E4M2 and E4M3 as well.  Just a little update there, thanks everyone!  BTW...don't worry, I will deliver on this...no "ambitious" announcement here.  :)

Edited by Cadman : add a comment

Okay, E4M1 is pretty complete...play testing extensively at the moment.  Checking monster placement, ammo levels, light levels, switches, triggers, texture alignments and the usual stuff.  When I get to a point of the testing I will post a screenshot here and there of the completed map.  E4M2 and E4M3 are each about a quarter of the way done.  Thank you everyone! 

Okay, putting a little more detail in E4M1...it seems to play well.  Fairly small to just about medium in size.  I have a few issues with monster placement that I'm resolving.  I found a deathtrap you can fall into and not get out...not good.  Completely overlooked it and it has been fixed.  I have also started on E4M9 (secret level), that's the magic word...just started!  Again, be patient....it'll get there.  Thanks everyone!

Here are a couple of screenshots for you as I promised.

Screenshot_Doom_20180205_021530.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180205_021619.png

E4M1 is now complete!  E4M2 is around 40-50% complete.  E4M3 is still hanging around 25%, and E4M9 is around 10-15% complete.  I'm not going to start anymore maps until I complete these.  Just wanted to keep the Doom Community updated.  There is a possibility that I may request assistance from good mappers to assist with E4M4, E4M5, E4M6, E4M7 and E4M8.  I haven't decided as of yet.  If I do, I will let you all know and the rules that apply to this type of project.  I do have a lot of RL stuff going on and I don't want this project to drag on forever...we'll see.  Thanks everyone!

E4M2 is now complete!  My son who loves playing Doom has volunteered his time (and his friends) to play test the maps.  Hopefully when all this is done all of you will enjoy them!  I will be releasing more screenshots in due time...E4M3 is coming along as well as E4M9.  Just keeping you all in the loop, thanks everyone!

I'm so keen for this.

My son who loves playing Doom has volunteered his time (and his friends) to play test the maps.

God dang that's wholesome, I love it.

Update...E4M1, E4M2 and E4M9 are now complete.  I am 90% complete with E4M3 and E4M4 is around 25% complete.  Just wanted to keep all of you in the loop.

Everyone, I want to apologize for no information since 2018...my health took a turn and I had to leave.  I did not have time to say anything on the forums before all this happened.  I have actually gotten much better since then and I'm still committed to getting this project out to you...the maps are still here on my computer and I will be going through everything and getting back up to speed...it's good to see the community still being active!