Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucкsнoт

Flagging things in batch?

Question

First post! Yay!

Hey y'all, I'm fairly new to the whole Doom scene. Just started playing middle of last year then I really got into map design. I've got this map I've been working on for months now, and it's almost ready. But I'm faced with a problem. I've got probably a couple hundred monsters on the map and I need them all to go deaf. I really don't want to replace all the monsters or things or go back and flag them all. That just doesn't work for me and I don't have the patience, but I'll go redo them if I have to. (also I'm like, ready to share this map so this needs to hurry up already) You want the story? Here's the story. Scroll down if you don't care and just want to answer me.

I started testing my level, and several times, I kept thinking, "Wait a minute. I know I didn't make this many hell knights over here. Heck, there aren't more than two of these around for the next 10 rooms!" Later on this week I realized it was because they weren't deaf. I'm pretty sure, at least. I mean, what else would cause a room that is several rooms away to completely empty of its 6 hell knights, only for me to get ambushed in a tunnel by 12 when I only placed 2 in there? Wow, short story.

I was wondering if there was a way to assign flags to things in batch? I think I could just go into the THINGS file and add those flags to literally everything cuz I don't need anything to be not-deaf, but I'm not sure how to do that. Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Bucкsнoт

4 answers to this question

In Doom Builder, you can filter what things appear. Use a filter for monsters-only (if there isn't one already, make one - it's easy), select them all, and change the flag.

1 minute ago, Empyre said:

In Doom Builder, you can filter what things appear. Use a filter for monsters-only (if there isn't one already, make one - it's easy), select them all, and change the flag.

Somehow I knew it was that easy. I'll give it a go.

To add to what Empyre said if you're using the latest version of GZDB_BugFix, the simplest method is to select all the Things in the map (zoom out, lasso all of them), and select the Things menu from the top. One option is "Filter". Hit that, and it'll show you a list of all the different types of Things you've selected. Just highlight all the monsters listed, hit OK, and then right-click on one of them to edit the properties of all of them.

Note: in later versions of GZDB the flag is correctly renamed as "Ambush", not "Deaf" as the former is pretty inaccurate (it doesn't make the monsters deaf).

In Doom Builder style editors, it's possible to select multiple things either via (shift-)left-clicking them one by one, via (shift-)block-select features, or via find (and replace) mode. When multiple things are selected, trying to open the properties window of one of them will actually open a window affecting properties and flags of all of them. Flags may be either checked, unchecked, or marked with a square if some of the selected things have the flag and some not, but even in the last case, you can toggle the flag to either all checked or all unchecked and the flags of all selected things will be properly updated.

Edited by scifista42