Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_42_

Barrels O' Fun - The Bane of My Existence

38 minutes ago, Marcaek said:

Barrels o fun is probably one of the few Doom 2 maps that I still get any enjoyment out of pistol starting. It doesn't look like anything? lol why is this criticism suddenly being leveled against map23 in particular, did people get bored of using it on downtown or the pit?

I can't wrap my head around why I or anyone would write a post about the pit or downtown in a thread that's very specifically about barrels of fun. 

@40oz The whistling distinguishes it a bit from the song that it blatantly rips off, but I still don't really like it much, nor the song that inspired it. Gold Star For Effort though.

As for the level itself, it looks like an Evilution reject, with a texture roulette look to it. The premise is cool, it's just fugly and blocky.

idk man...This map has some mixed feelings in my case. 

It's at least a fun map which you see the whole gimmick and use it at your favor or it can destroy you painfully. On the other hand, it's one of those maps which you want to finish quickly....and be sure to pick up the megasphere....

Good thing that this map leads to map 25..........................................................................................yeah

47 minutes ago, 40oz said:

I can't wrap my head around why I or anyone would write a post about the pit or downtown in a thread that's very specifically about barrels of fun. 

Because they're also by Sandy and you can get behind a lot of Sandy's thought processes by also considering them instead of just making up headcanon around one single map. Sandy was a late mapper hire for id, so he worked extremely fast and wasn't burdened by the concept baggage of early Hall/Romero deliberations. You could say ALL of his maps were fillers "just so we can have 32 maps". A project called "Doom 2 the Way id Did" made a serious attempt to decode the Sandy mindset by taking a holistic approach to analysing the entire body of his work and I'd say the outcome was extraordinarily successful, check it out! It was quite a lot of fun being around and seeing the puzzle pieces fit into each other.

9 hours ago, Pegg said:

The only part I hate is the stupid chaingunners trap by the exit, Learning to zig zag past those barrels takes some practice. Doesn't help it isn't as cheesable as the start. 

Why are you zigzagging? It's a straight path, just run straight across.

@dew

Of course, but if that's what you (errmm.. excuse me, I thought I was talking to Marcaek for a minute) would rather be talking about, then why not make a thread about it? I don't get the motivation behind the "stop talking about this" posts that seem to come up in any thread where someone wants to discuss an issue about something that's not what you want to read about.

What's this then? People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Pointing out how other Sandy maps might clue into his map23 design decisions seems less offtopic to me than some meta about posting etiquette.

26 minutes ago, dew said:

Its a conversation I wasnt having with you. No one is asking you to take responsibility for what I was responding to.

2 minutes ago, 40oz said:

Its a conversation I wasnt having with you. No one is asking you to take responsibility for what I was responding to.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I was merely confused because you posted your replies openly in the forum. If I knew they were basically meant as PMs, I would of course respect the privacy of your conversations with both Xaser and Marcaek.

I appreciate the consideration. I'm glad I could clear things up for you. 

4 hours ago, Marcaek said:

lol why is this criticism suddenly being leveled against map23 in particular, did people get bored of using it on downtown or the pit?

...or let's direct it at maps that really deserve it, like The Chasm or Perfect Hatred?

11 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

Why are you zigzagging? It's a straight path, just run straight across.

Oh I confused it with the start. So it is even easier than I remembered! And start is easy to cheese so no need to ever strafe between barrels.

Then again I never got the complain about this map's gameplay. Unless they hate zerk punching an army of pinkies. 

The map is even doable with pistol only. (No fist/other weps allowed).