Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfal thread

always been fascinated with daggerfall

like not just commonly fascinated with daggerfall as a passing fancy but like... messing around in small villages on the map and trying to work out how to predict which house owner will be in which house without looking up the formula on the internet-style fascination

combat is bunk, yeah.. fetch quests are bunk, yeah.. but having a ludicrously large game world like this is mindblowing to me and I know it's all just expressed sets of data generated in advance in a random fashion but I don't buy that as a means of dismissing it anymore.

if you tried to remove the despairing lostness and the bugs and the mouse waggly combat from an RPG it'd be hard to end up with a good game in my eyes. it needs to be a shambles in some way. maybe something like shadowrun returns would be a good example of a streamlined game with a good story but where you can't actually do anything at all. i prefer an absurd collision of unfinished ideas like daggerfall to just about anything though

I never played an Elder Scrolls game yet, then again I haven't played a lot of the well known series of some games yet (STALKER, Deus Ex, System Shock, Thief, Hitman etc.)

I sampled a bit of Arena and Daggerfall, the former looks to be pretty limited, but I heard good things about the latter. They both crash like a motherfucker however, so that certainly cuts down on the accessibility. I wonder if starting out with Morrowind would be a good place to begin? Or should I spoil myself and go straight for Skyrim? A lot of people seem to love Oblivion, but I hear it has probably the worst leveling system in an RPG ever. They're all modded to hell and back (minus the first two games), so I guess it just comes out to whichever setting you enjoy more.

5 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

I never played an Elder Scrolls game yet, then again I haven't played a lot of the well known series of some games yet (STALKER, Deus Ex, System Shock, Thief, Hitman etc.)

I sampled a bit of Arena and Daggerfall, the former looks to be pretty limited, but I heard good things about the latter. They both crash like a motherfucker however, so that certainly cuts down on the accessibility. I wonder if starting out with Morrowind would be a good place to begin? Or should I spoil myself and go straight for Skyrim? A lot of people seem to love Oblivion, but I hear it has probably the worst leveling system in an RPG ever. They're all modded to hell and back (minus the first two games), so I guess it just comes out to whichever setting you enjoy more.

Eh, ES is not known for doing a solid job when it comes to stability among other things on the technical side, yet notorious for the bugs. Skyrim is crash happy as well if you don't use some memory tweaks with SKSE and/or ENBoost for instance, especially if you also have dozens of mods installed.

My advice, probably start with Morrowind instead and then proceed to Oblivion and end with Skyrim, or skip one of them if not, I'll probably never get to Oblivion for instance because the models are fucking atrocious. Also Morrowind is far more unique as a whole than the successors so yeah... main reason why I love Solstheim in Dragonborn so much. The overall gameplay and especially the combat will most likely be better in Skyrim since it gets rid of some stupid mechanics, such as the hit or miss system, but when it comes to other aspects it might feel like an oversimplification in comparison, like the number of available skills and especially spells, but the DLCs improve on the latter. And there's also Nexusmods with its vast library of mods. I still remember most of the mods I used when I last played Skyrim so I can provide a list at some point if you want :) , just don't expect to see overhauls like SkyRe.

Edited by Agent6

Played & completed Daggerfall when it was rerelease as freeware.

This game is pretty much the reason why I don't care much for the other Elder Scrolls sequels because they feel underwhelming compare to this game.  

On 03.02.2018 at 8:30 PM, ranhcase said:

True, i started playing the game, and althought it's actually pretty enjoyable, i can't go on playing for 20 minutes straight without looking for help on the internet, everything is so badly explained, just creating your character and character's class is already a shore, i spent at least two hours reading guides, wikis and the sort on atributes, skills and the like, and it's not like there's that much information on the internet anyways since the source code was never realeased and no one really knows (certainly at least) how most things work.

Personally I find it part of the fun, that you keep discovering new things on your own. In fact, I suppose that at least in part it was the intention of the developers. Of course, there's also a lot to discover in the way things went wrong contrary to the developers' intentions. But that's Daggerfall.

If you get a free copy with a purchase of some other Bethesda game at GOG.com, you get Daggerfall Chronicles, a hintbook with some interesting stuff in it you might want to read. Also Bethesda's website had some good hints back in 1996:

http://www.bethsoft.com:80/html/daghint3.html