Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

What was your first map in Doom whose music sent a chill on your spine?

For me, it is from E2M4. I got completely off guard with the music. Usually, Doom had some real badass metal, but with this level having the screaming spirits wall texture and those green demonic faces spouting blood from their mouths while the music being played really spooked me when I got to the level for the first time.

MAP07 Dead Simple of Doom 2. 

It scared the shit out of me some 15yrs ago and combined with the Mancubi and Arachnotrons who also frightened me just as much resulted in a nightmarish experience in the most literal sense. This is no longer true nowadays however.

MAP 18 The Courtyard, I don't know why but the music along with the gargoyle reliefs with the red eyes freaked me out a little.

E1M8 -- After the walls lower, when you are standing on the giant star looking at a demon teleporter under the most bad-ass sky in the IWADs listening to that lonesome melodic wail, it's just freakin' awesome.

Runner-up: E1M5

MAP05: Hanger (TNT: Evilution).

It doesn't sound scary actually, just that I feel the sound a mixture of chilling, melancholic, and suspending at the same time.

It's been 23.5 years, but this is what I recall.

E1M8. I just felt like something was coming, but I didn't know what, particularly running down the long empty hallway before going up the lift. That was chilling, especially (as @Lutz and @jval said) when you're just running around the large empty expanse after the Barons are defeated.

E2M8. The beginning of the track is a little sinister, but it particularly works coupled with the eviscerated Barons of Hell hanging from the walls.

E1M7 Computer Station. The creepy beginning and the simple, yet so sinister moving up and down of the minor scale. 

Growing up, that and E1M8 (which, in my mind, became the theme song of Thy Flesh Consumed) were an awesome spine-chilling duo.

The old Windows 95 installer for the CD release of The Ultimate Doom featured a little animation of the Spider Mastermind walking with D_E2M6 playing in the background. Since at the time I had only played the shareware release and the spidey was nowhere to be found in the printed manual I had, it was a pretty big "WTF is this!?!?" moment for 9-ish-year-old-me. So I guess D_E2M6 wins it, despite the original experience not being in-game.

^ I remember something similar with installing Doom 2, only it had the Mastermind walking to the sound of D_DEAD.

I always thought the Doom 64 soundtrack was the creepiest. MAP03: Main Engineering for me was really creepy because I knew that was where you first met the new Cacodemons.

I know Scythe 2 had that uneasy music in map 16 "Mr.X" called "SA-X arrival".

Or hell, map 10 & its "frozen in time" track.

As for the IWADs, not a single track spooked me.

Doom on Playstation had really creepy ambient music/noises that freaked me the fuck out when I was like 12 or 13. The one map that had like screaming/wailing babies in the background is the most memorable to me. But it was amazing and terrifying at the same time. Most of Doom 64's map had the same effect on me, especially when playing with headphones and in a dark ass room.....great times...

E1M8 for sure. The ominous music and hopeless feeling that you will likely die... and then I guess you do and start kicking ass in Hell to I Sawed the Demons. Awesome.

e1m8, period. that was spooky. when the walls lowered and i wondered, where am i going here?

m07 as i said here because i had no idea how to survive that slaughter, lol, and the music made it much more oppressive.

and e2m4 is pretty creepy too.

8 hours ago, Demon of the Well said:

E1M8.

None of my usual lengthy exposition, because there's absolutely no contest.

Well you don't seem loquacious this month  ;)  but I see we have a consensus about E1M8... iirc I was almost frightened when I heard this music for the first time, and it underscored so well the thought that I was leaving for the unknown.

Getting too tense - Map 28: The Spirit World

The map and the music really left a mark on me when I was young, it created an internal fear that I never really understood.

Hmm.... E1M7 wins this one for really creeping me out. Although many tracks unsettled me, but not as much - E1M5, E1M6 (because it was really tense), E2M4 and MAP28

The one that sticks out most painfully in my mind is E1M7 from the PSX version of Final Doom. I distinctly remember wandering around without knowing where to go, no living monsters left to speak of, and eventually having to turn the game off because the repeating screams at alternating pitches unnerved me so badly.

3 hours ago, VanillaExtract said:

The one that sticks out most painfully in my mind is E1M7 from the PSX version of Final Doom. I distinctly remember wandering around without knowing where to go, no living monsters left to speak of, and eventually having to turn the game off because the repeating screams at alternating pitches unnerved me so badly.

PSX Doom was amazing in that regard. I mean, it was great in other areas too, but the music/ambient noises was top-notch, imo.

I'll be damned if I can remember the first time or where it was, but the question invokes images of a space largely clad in gstone1. Think it was during episode 2 of the original.

E1M3; after playing the first two levels that sounded kinda upbeat, all of a sudden I enter this place. What made matters worse was when I played on UV, having lots of fun with the first two levels, but after I open the first door everything comes rushing at me including the pinky demon and the specter which I was terrified of as a child. Playing with tank controls made it even more scary because of how slowly I maneuvered, I felt helpless from the rushing monsters.