Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

What was your first map in Doom whose music sent a chill on your spine?

E1M8. The rest of Episode 1's music is fairly energetic even at it's slowest, so when the lone guitar played its dirge at the last level I knew something was going to go down.

Most probably the Icon of Sin midi, the whistling kind of reminded me to Sing from Travis, a song I could never hear without feeling like I was going to have nightmares. Things changed as I grew up. 

E1M1 right from the start. I love all of the Doom tracks. They are so catchy and really do contribute to the
game's tension. Back in those days I've taped my SCC-1 to be able to hear Doom during driving to work.

BTW: Second best is Tyrian. Much more 'Happy Music', but also very well done...

Hmm, I shouid make  some FLACS. I guess i've still got a SC-55 lying around somwhere here...

Maybe E2M6 . It becomes really scary when you reach the fake exit.

This probably isn't quite what OP had in mind when making this, but the music for Back to Saturn X Radio Report from BTSX E1 never fails to get a reaction from me. The track itself, Entering, has this grand epic quality that makes it feel like you're about to go on a journey, but at the same time, it feels very lonely and melancolie, particularly when the acoustic guitar sounds kick in. The actual level enhances that feeling, with the base feeling completely abandoned (save for the invading hellspawn, of course, but you still have about 30 seconds at the start when you're outside where there's not an enemy to be seen, to say nothing of the introduction to the main hub). The combo always manages to make me just a bit wispy-eyed; an odd reaction, I know, but that's just how my mind works with these kind of things.

E1M7 for sure, though i personally find the SNES version of it (E1M6 there) more haunting.

MAP11: Hunted of Plutonia. "Sweet Little Dead Bunny" still gives me the creeps whenever I rarely hear it.

Doom II's MAP10/MAP16 music didn't send a chill up my spine, but it's definitely memorable, because, to me, it sounds like you're lost in an infinite space, all alone; kind of a nihilistic vibe, really. It scares me a little.

MAP07 music. Sinister stuff!

Also I can mention E3M2 for Doom1, though I think this don't fit the map design.

My first full fledged experience with doom was with doom 2 heh. One of my mom's friend gave us an old computer and on it, was DOOM II. I had played the shareware episode of doom 1 before then but, no music really put a "chill down my spine" in that one. 

I remember one map in D2 in particular though that really freaked me out when I was a kid. I think you know the one I'm talking about but yeah, it is indeed "the spirit world". The music just really put a sense of dread and fear in me haha. 

Then, I actually got my hands on UDOOM and I must say that most of the tracks in episode 2 fit that description. E2M6 the most, then E2M2 and E2M4. For me that is :D

map30 In doom 2, the amount of bass in the opl version was goose-bump inducing the first time I played it and it still gives me chills hearing it on repeated playthroughs. 

E2M4 ... the level itself was pretty damn spooky to 7/8 year old me, and the music intensified it so much...and then I was also playing the SNES one first, so it was even more spooky from that as well.

E1M5: Phobos Lab, especially as seeing it's the first thing you see when booting up the Doom shareware for the first time as the first self-running demo.

E1M5 - Phobos Lab; the sudden suspense caught me off guard. Especially with the last part with the Spectres in an almost pitch black room, that's when it got a bit creepier.