Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mauzki

Hermit.WAD, feedback wanted!

Hello! I haven't really uploaded a wad in well ages! This is Hermit.wad! It contains 5 levels, new midi's for each level, there is a few custom sounds and other then a few right handed models not much of a change! Limited ammo and hopefully challenging

This wad really doesn't require the use of Jumping or free look, etc.

The story; After the demonic take over of earth, you know the only way to find any form of safety is to use the top secret  UAC facility you work at,  maybe there you can find safety or not.. either way pack that shotgun and stop being a HERMIT I'm so sorry

Tested with:

Zdoom

GZdoom

Zandronum

Chocolate-Doom

Will NOT  work with:

Chocolate doom

Pr boom+

Thank you :)

Screenshot at 2018-01-31 21-29-18.png

Screenshot at 2018-01-31 21-37-01.png

hermit.zip

Edited by Mauzki

It won't work on prboom+ too, because of picture formats(jpg), missing subsectors and maybe more things, but gzdoom and other zdoom family ports will run ok. Judging by wad information, maps aren't in udmf format either. I think you should recompile wad and include missing things and maybe change node builder, but I'm not sure. 

Map 1: Decent Design. Some nice visual details. Combat is a little meh and there are not nearly enough shells to kill everything. Limited ammo is one thing, but I'm just not going to pistol a baron of hell. One door's sides were not lower unpegged. It was a very thick door where you get the red key, I think.

Map 2: There's a crate box near the beginning that uses Flat 20, I believe, for its top. Is there a reason it's not just cratetop? I enjoyed the atmosphere in the beginning section with the ship and stuff. The door to the super shotgun secret's sides are not lower unpegged. Speaking of super shotgun secret, how am I supposed to kill a dozen barons with like 12 shells in a small room, a room that incidentally has no way out? Is that supposed to be an automatic death trap? I don't think that's very good design. Exit door sides are not lower unpegged.

Map 3: In the secret area near the start, there's a stone texture that I don't think you intended. The baron of hell showdown is underwhelming. One baron is almost no threat in such a huge, wide open space. There seems to be no point in fighting the cacodemons, since I know I'm not going to have enough ammo and they aren't really guarding anything.

Map 4: I didn't mind the initial fight. I thought it was set up decently to be somewhat interesting. The exit room door sides were not lower unpegged.

Map 5: Not much to say here. I thought the simple way to take care of business, if you know what I mean, was a little too obvious/readily available. Maybe make the player sweat a little more.

General comments: 

These are small maps, but they still feel a bit empty. I think you can pack a few more monsters in to make it a little more exciting/ threatening.

The combat in general could use some work. There just aren't enough meaningful encounters. I don't think there was a single "trap" except the impossible Baron trap in Map 2. 

The maps were certainly playable and had decent layouts, as far as I'm concerned. It was not an eyesore to play these. I think the mapset could be upgraded rather nicely in just "Things Mode," to be honest.

I usually play with my own music, so I didn't listen to the midis, sorry.

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Map 1: Decent Design. Some nice visual details. Combat is a little meh and there are not nearly enough shells to kill everything. Limited ammo is one thing, but I'm just not going to pistol a baron of hell. One door's sides were not lower unpegged. It was a very thick door where you get the red key, I think.

Map 2: There's a crate box near the beginning that uses Flat 20, I believe, for its top. Is there a reason it's not just cratetop? I enjoyed the atmosphere in the beginning section with the ship and stuff. The door to the super shotgun secret's sides are not lower unpegged. Speaking of super shotgun secret, how am I supposed to kill a dozen barons with like 12 shells in a small room, a room that incidentally has no way out? Is that supposed to be an automatic death trap? I don't think that's very good design. Exit door sides are not lower unpegged.

Map 3: In the secret area near the start, there's a stone texture that I don't think you intended. The baron of hell showdown is underwhelming. One baron is almost no threat in such a huge, wide open space. There seems to be no point in fighting the cacodemons, since I know I'm not going to have enough ammo and they aren't really guarding anything.

Map 4: I didn't mind the initial fight. I thought it was set up decently to be somewhat interesting. The exit room door sides were not lower unpegged.

Map 5: Not much to say here. I thought the simple way to take care of business, if you know what I mean, was a little too obvious/readily available. Maybe make the player sweat a little more.

General comments: 

These are small maps, but they still feel a bit empty. I think you can pack a few more monsters in to make it a little more exciting/ threatening.

The combat in general could use some work. There just aren't enough meaningful encounters. I don't think there was a single "trap" except the impossible Baron trap in Map 2. 

The maps were certainly playable and had decent layouts, as far as I'm concerned. It was not an eyesore to play these. I think the mapset could be upgraded rather nicely in just "Things Mode," to be honest.

I usually play with my own music, so I didn't listen to the midis, sorry.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll get to working on the wad. And yes It was intended to be a craft top. And hahah, yeah its preety much a low effort death trap. Hah thanks again, I'll get to working on it.

6 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

It won't work on prboom+ too, because of picture formats(jpg), missing subsectors and maybe more things, but gzdoom and other zdoom family ports will run ok. Judging by wad information, maps aren't in udmf format either. I think you should recompile wad and include missing things and maybe change node builder, but I'm not sure. 

I'll see if I can get to recompiling it :)