Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 34 - The first person to say it gets deleted from the internet

Name: Xyzzy tries to make a joke about the long and ridiculous names of speedmaps of the past but fails miserably

Themes: Red textures and non-liquid damaging floors

Resource: Confinement 256

MIDI: I don't actually know so if someone recognises it, much appreciated!

Build time: 1 hour, 50 minutes

XYZZYSUX.zip

@rdwpa this map is a bit more slaughter than I usually make, and I know that's to your taste, can you please test it for me? :D

Title: Gridlocked

Music: Well of Ass, by Jimmy

Themes: Red, Non-liquid damaging sectors
Time: 2 hours
Format: Boom
Tested in: PRBoom+
Uses: ZoonTex (latest version, not included)
Notes: No difficulty settings, Coop starts included

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1b9bs5siwn2a0j/Gridlocked.wad?dl=1

Name: Chameleon

Music: "High Score" from Demonstar Secret Missions 1

Build Time: 2 hours

Themes: Berserk

Textures: Zoon-tex 2.7 (load this yourself)

EDIT: Updated as of 9:06PM AWST.

Edited by Jimmy

Name: This Exists

Music: 'Donna To The Rescue' (E3M2 of Doom)

Time: 2 hours 45 minutes

Themes: RED. Berserk.

Add. resources: Jimmysky

edit: I swear that monster count is coincidental.

EDIT 2: updated to fix a broken secret and some texture whoopsies.

Edited by an_mutt

Early thoughts on a cursory playthrough of the maps in last nights' compilation:

@AD_79: Looks good, plays unforgivingly and seemingly doesn't allow an exit. The lift out of the damaging blood by the plasma rifle, leading up towards the corridor and stairs doesn't have any lower textures behind it.

@Obsidian: The wall of barons at the end really stops the show and the one behind you at the start isn't very nice either. Otherwise it works alright.

@Jimmy: Lovely map, no complaints.

@Bauul: Unwelcome Revenant platforming is at least possible to dodge, otherwise quite a decent experience

@Breezeep: Another good map, no real complaints here

@DreadOpp: Not bad either, but easily skippable

@Fuzzball: Odd choice of a way to spend two hours.

@Dragonfly: It's pretty unforgiving and has a notable automap feature

@Xyzzy01: Not the level of overambition or difficulty I'm used to in these sessions; also not red! Still, not bad.

@Pinchy: A difficult map, but not too bad. The Cacodemons sit at the bottom of their cages, so that might want altering to make them more viable a threat

@Phobus: Stop talking to yourself

@NuclearPotato: Entirely adequete

@Surreily: A lot of visual fidelity and not much length, but not a bad berserk snippet

@TMD: The arachnotrons make this map pretty harsh, as do the hitscanners. The ending cyberdemon and the weird HOM platforms that rise when you meet him just cry out for a quick escape.

There's a MAP15 and MAP16, but I've no idea who made them. 15 is another ok map. I think, going by the conversations I've seen, 16 is Eris Falling's map, which is a high-fidelity barrel blast, which I quite enjoyed.

I spent a good 20 mins making it, the midi, the intermission music, picking the extra sounds... ;P

Had to submit something right? Even if it was ...something.

7 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

@rdwpa this map is a bit more slaughter than I usually make, and I know that's to your taste, can you please test it for me? :D

Title: Gridlocked

Music: Well of Ass, by Jimmy

Themes: Red, Non-liquid damaging sectors
Time: 2 hours
Tested in: PRBoom+
Uses: ZoonTex (latest version, not included)
Notes: No difficulty settings, Coop starts included

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1b9bs5siwn2a0j/Gridlocked.wad?dl=1

Monster composition itself is not harsh in itself with a full RL + megasphere, but the combination of the layout being mostly stairs (which make maneuvering inconsistent) and the auto-switch to CG early that prevents holing up in a cubby make it much more dangerous. Died a couple of times quickly to both of those things ^ . Generally I'd prefer this particularly difficulty range achieved with harsher monster use and resources but more forgiving "geometry", if that makes any sense. The CG autoswitch is probably actually a good idea, since otherwise holing up in the first CG'er-only cubby would have been an easy win. Exit timer could be a bit shorter, as it's possible to kill everything off before it becomes accessible (which would set a floor on the fastest possible max time). 3rd attempt (underestimated how short the map would be, when I stopped recording the FDA quickly): gridlocked_rd_cmax.zip

I've given Chameleon a go, as I'm a Jimmy fan, apparently. Another good map that starts gently, has an open layout and plays well. I could honestly play a megaWAD of these. In fact, he's probably made 32 speed maps over the various sessions fitting this mould by now...

I've also watched Noisy's FDA of Crimson Crevice. As I suspected, it's pretty good at killing players.

37 minutes ago, Phobus said:

I've given Chameleon a go, as I'm a Jimmy fan, apparently. Another good map that starts gently, has an open layout and plays well. I could honestly play a megaWAD of these. In fact, he's probably made 32 speed maps over the various sessions fitting this mould by now...

There's a chance you are playfully referring to Jiffy Bag, but in case not, it exists

That thing needs updating so badly, lol. 90% of the maps don't have difficulties, and in the megawad context that seems absurd.

I exist now.

Hey Jim, how many maps did the second session yield? I'm counting about 7, but I might have missed a spot.

Thanks rdwpa - not sure what I was up to in September 2015, but I totally missed that. Downloaded to play soon!

fdas for the other ones in the thread: abysped34_noisy_pt2.zip (prb+ cl9)

xxyzz's slaughtermap i didn't bother with textures.  so i just played full HOM.  it was a good experience, and might be funny to watch

i didn't load all the textures for haruko's map.  so same thing.

Okay folks, since Obsidian is away for the next three days, I took the compilation off his hands, and the full thing, at 23 maps strong, is now available.

The WAD itself is quite large in filesize for what it is, just because it includes all of Zoon-tex. It could still stand to have many unused textures removed, so that's the first thing to note about this. Let me know if there's anything about the WAD that seems incorrect or anything in the text file that I've missed out.

Download abyspe34.zip - 14.4MB

Download abyspe34.zip v2 - 15.5MB

Here's the maplist:

MAP01: Love in the Maze - Surreily
MAP02: Little Boy Blue - Xyzzy01
MAP03: R.I.P. Eric Clapton's Kid - NuclearPotato
MAP04: Handful of Dread 2 - Dreadopp
MAP05: Aorta - Jimmy
MAP06: Kevin - Eris Falling
MAP07: Uninspired - Myst.Haruko
MAP08: Chameleon - Jimmy
MAP09: Crimson Crevice - Phobus
MAP10: i am well and truly ashamed of this map and i hope you dont make it this far in the wad and if you did well fuck sorry - Dragonfly
MAP11: I'm Not Your Valentine - Breezeep
MAP12: This Exists - an_mutt
MAP13: Anally Ravaged by the Baron: One Nite in Deimos - Obsidian
MAP14: The Scottish Map - TMD
MAP15: Scarlet Mansion - AD_79
MAP16: Candelabra in the Wind - rf'
MAP17: Incel To Injury - TMD
MAP18: Obviously Grilled - Pinchy
MAP19: Bastard Maze - Phobus
MAP20: Paradise by the Imp Ball Light - Bauul
MAP21: Xyzzy tries to make a joke about the long and ridiculous names of speedmaps of the past but fails miserably - Xyzzy01
MAP22: Gridlocked - Dragonfly
MAP31: Forcefully Removed by Force - Fuzzball
Edited by Jimmy

I saw the stream by tmd :)

Nice session,maps have nice gameplay and cool visuals(aside from the joke maps),nice theme too,highlights were 1;5;11;13;15;16;20(i wish i could write a detailed review,but im too lazy atm)

I can't look at it right now but if there really is HOMs in my map, that is not supposed to happen as I did indeed texture everything before I sent the map.

Well, Jiffy Bag was exactly what I was looking for. A good way to spend two hours or so.

Looks like the compiled map set takes difficulty into account, vaguely, so that's good to see. I think I've played most of this already, so I've just downloaded the WAD for later perusal.

9 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

I can't look at it right now but if there really is HOMs in my map, that is not supposed to happen as I did indeed texture everything before I sent the map.

Your second map used an external resource pack that i didn't bother seeking for.  I played in HOMs instead because why not.

edit: after a thought, i should also mention that i used zoontex on the map, and there were flats.  I realize the error now. srry  basically the texture1 lumps conflict when i loaded it.

The textures were included in the wad itself, conf256.pk3 wasn't actually needed.

I know I have absolutely nothing to do with this project, but I've been told by TMD and people in his stream that I could make a status bar because yes, so here it is: assbar.zip

Looks like this in-game:

Spoiler

IVEnnTY.png

Hope you like it, of course if there's anything that should be checked please tell me, or any information about what I used to make it. In the case it's not going to be used, well no problem :P

Does the health reading change or does it stay like that regardless of how much health you actually have?

13 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Let me know if there's anything about the WAD that seems incorrect or anything in the text file that I've missed out.

I finally got a look at the compile and there is one last thing wrong with my second map, and it's not HOMs like you said. Just some of the textures seemed to swap places for some reason.

Specifically, the sides of the starting teleporter swapped textures with the four colums of the arena. Here's how it looks in the compile:

Spoiler

eh.png.f03ef0f9009de64ba3343cfde89c6846.png

And here's what it's supposed to look like:

Spoiler

whyhomswhy.png.00ee0cd40cec653a7eb602467833968e.png

I'm pretty sure it was my sloppy handling of the textures, but if this was fixed I'd very much appreciate it. Sorry for bothering, again!