Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mmx

Best pre-2000 game mods of all time?

I've got a Pentium 4 with a GeForce 4 and I'm rocking through my collection of Half-Life, Quake, Doom, Unreal, Rune, NOLF, Blood... so much fun! However, I'm getting out of titles and before I even get tired, I wanted to play a few mods. There's probably a lot of interesting stuff that I ended up missing back then, or even new stuff that came along. So, let's make this thread something fun: post here your favorite mod for any pre-2000 game!

Aliens TC for Doom, full stop.

Starship Troopers TC for Duke 3D was released in 2000 but I think it counts. At the time it was an incredibly ambitious mod -- effectively the Aliens TC of Duke 3D. It's also one of the most solidly realized mods; its various hacks actually work surprisingly well without being too janky.

Continuing in the "Aliens TC of [game]" trend, there's also Marathon RED for Marathon. Ambitious, flawed, and filled with vintage 90s edge, but fantastic nonetheless.

As an aside, Counter-Strike was technically first released in 1999.

Yeah it's a shame. From what I understand Neil Manke fell very ill and couldn't finish it.

Based on your specks and the games that you have listed I have included a list below of some games that you might be able to play. I know that some were released after 2000 but I still consider these games as part of that era. I know that I have not listed a single mod that I think is any good I have given a few links for where you can find them yourself. A mod that I think is great you might not think is any good and vice versa. I do apologize that my post is long and is nothing but links.

• Heretic 2 - Released in 1998, there is not a lot mods for it but what I did find I can’t seem to find them anywhere. I remember a few good ones though but most of which allowed you access to the DM levels without having to unlock them by playing through the single player.
  • Quake - You can find some single player maps at Sock’s website otherwize most other good mods and maps require Darkplaces to play them.
  • Quake 2 - There looks like a Minecraft inspired mod over at MODDB. The only other one that I can remember is one that replaces all the graphics with shiny new ones.
  • Quake 3 - I mention Q3 because I have got it to run on any PC that ‘ve installed it on. I don’t know of any good mods for Q3 but there are some great levels at level world.
  • Enclave - Released in 2003, this game is amazing. I have not had a chance to play the full version but it has lots of replay value. It has 16 different characters to play as and 2 different single player campaigns. You can give it a shot on your P4 PC if you want. As for mods there is a few out there for it.
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast - Released in 2002, you might be able to run this game with your P4 PC. The last mission might run slow. It has a few mods like one where you can play as Darth Maul and another that sets you inside a fighting arena in ancient rome. You can also find a bunch of skins for it.
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - Released in 2003, and like the game above it has a few mods for it. This game might have even better mods and skins than its predecessor.
  • American McGee’s: Alice - Released in 2000, this game has a small amount of mods which includes a mod that enhances the graphics and if you can find them additional player skins.
  • Conflict: Vietnam - Released in 2004, but if you can find a copy, you might be able to run it on your P4 PC. I am unsure if it has any mods though. but it would be cool if it did.
  • Shellshock Nam 67 - Another one released in 2004, and like the game above you might be able to run it on your PC. I am unsure if it has any mods though but it would be cool if it did.
  • Drakan: Order of the Flame - This beauty was released in 1999 and it stands true as one of the best looking games released in the ‘90’s. To run it without crashing you will need to install a series of patches first the v444 patch (for single player support), v445 patch (for multiplayer support) v445++ unofficial patch and the AiO unofficial patch. All of which can be found at MODDB.com. As for more levels and mods you can check out what is found Arokh’s Lair. Additionally someone is remaking the game using the Unity engine and it’s looking really good.
  • Star Trek DS9: The Fallen - Released in 2000, this game had an unofficial expansion called convergence but other than that there seems to be no good mods for it but there is patches though.
Edited by Halfblind

Quake team fortress, team fortress classic, 3wctf, jailbreak, AQ2, sven coop, chaosDM, unreal4ever and counterstrike.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:49 AM, Halfblind said:

Because those communities were far from the only ones containing mods for those games, it didn't help how filefront, fileplanet, and a certain lucasarts file site closed down as they had a majority of the Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy mods, but they are still accessible since fileplanet is still open in an archived state and filefront was re-hosted in another way.

On 2/11/2018 at 7:25 PM, General Rainbow Bacon said:

I like how the thread title limits the time period to be rated and claims to be "of all time".  Yeah I'm that guy.

I know right. I think that he just wants mods for games that came out prior to 2000, even though I listed some games that came out afterwards because you can't have one without the others. I think that they want "of all time" because you will remember them for "all time." Just what I'm thinking.

13 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Because those communities were far from the only ones containing mods for those games, it didn't help how filefront, fileplanet, and a certain lucasarts file site closed down as they had a majority of the Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy mods, but they are still accessible since fileplanet is still open in an archived state and filefront was re-hosted in another way.

I guess that is why it is becoming increasingly more difficult to find more great mods for these older games. The sites that hosted them have since shut down or have been archived. Even finding stuff on Filefront or Fileplanet can be difficult now. Ravengames used to have a lot of mod content for ravens old games but it is only a review site now. I used to find wads for Heretic that were not found in the archive there a few years ago. I guess that you can look for mods at GameBanana or LoneBullet and see what is there.

I have to wonder how many of Aliens TC's fans have played it recently. While groundbreaking for its time, it's aged horribly.

@Halfblind: I guess that makes sense.  I would also argue this though.  The best mod ever will never be made because as soon as the new best one comes out, a few mods later it will be surpassed by another, thus "the best one ever" truly cannot exist as it is always the one after the one you are currently playing.

13 hours ago, Ajora said:

I have to wonder how many of Aliens TC's fans have played it recently. While groundbreaking for its time, it's aged horribly.

I have. I think it's still brilliant.

9 hours ago, arobase said:

I have. I think it's still brilliant.

Try Aliens: Colonial Marines for GZDoom if you haven't. It's exponentially superior in every way possible. 

On 2/14/2018 at 0:11 PM, Ajora said:

Try Aliens: Colonial Marines for GZDoom if you haven't. It's exponentially superior in every way possible. 

Hard disagree.