Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

VINESAUCE DOOM MAPPING CONTEST 2.

Wow, so he decided to continue... I wonder if I able to participate at this year. At 2016 contest I couldn't participate because my skills were bad. 

I hope he doesn't "jump speedrun" every map this time. I won't submit one this time but I'm glad another is here since it may get more people into Doom mapping/modding. The more the merrier!

53 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I hope he doesn't "jump speedrun" every map this time. 

Heavy height variation

Can we get a roll call on who's likely to participate? I'll be in again this year, probably with a less gimmicky submission than last year, heh.

Oh, and for those who didnt watch the above video, there's a link to the submission page with the rules below

https://contest.vargskelethor.me/

Well, why is it like that ... why is it very not on time? .. Right now i'm making a map for the contest on Serious Sam till the 15th february, and then I will have only two weeks to do something ... For month most masters will create real masterpieces ... Well, I will participate for the sake of participation ... I am glad that this event still began and wish everyone good luck!

And ... where to send the maps this time?

A quick request for @Grimosaur (or a mod): would you mind editing the title to include "Vinesauce" in it? That way folks know this thread is about That Contest rather than just something random.

I was waiting for the contest for a long time, since i skipped last contest and after seeing the streams i kinda regretted not making a map for it, too bad i have no idea what kind of map i would build for the new contest, maybe something using hidfan's doom 3 textures since im most familiar with the style, or perhaps something doom 64 style, but im glad the contest it's finally been announced, hope he doesn't starts speedrunning the maps halfway trough the contest, it's really discouraging as a mapper to see that

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Can we get a roll call on who's likely to participate? I'll be in again this year, probably with a less gimmicky submission than last year, heh.

I did saw your map on stream, and it was quite impressive, too bad joel started to lose attention after the first death, but i think it was one the best maps on the contest, im curious to see what you build this time

I'm probably going to do another map for this since I really enjoyed the last one.  Dunno when I'll start on it or what it will be though.

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I hope he doesn't "jump speedrun" every map this time. I won't submit one this time but I'm glad another is here since it may get more people into Doom mapping/modding. The more the merrier!

Some of those maps took a stupid long time for him to get through. Too many long, high quality maps and not enough, bad, quick maps. I also think he might be helped by playing on the easiest difficulty.

You make a map using the formats outlined in the rules
To submit you visit [old link removed, I accidentally posted a client's website] https://contest.vargskelethor.me/ and log in with twitch using the button below, and then upload your .wad or .pk3 file.

Edited by Dragonfly

I enjoyed the last contest but I am glad he changed the rules to just one map per user. The moment he announced the last contest I knew that it would get way too many levels and that he wasn't aware of the sheer amount of levels he would probably get. I wasn't even able to watch the whole contest. I think I made it to part 7 and then I stopped watching. It really sucks for those who's levels were played in the later parts because odds are most people did not even make it that far. One of his streams was like 6 god damn hours. Let's hope that now things don't get that extreme.

But then again, not that the contest has more publicity than the last one perhaps he will get even more levels 0_o

And oh yea, I am intending to make a level using the doom 3 textures as well as D64 sprites and enemies. I will even make new 3D models for it. I was already intending to do this before the contest anyway. The only real challenge will be getting all the content that I want into the file without passing the 20MB limit -_-

Edited by hardcore_gamer

9 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I really regretted not taking part last time, so this time around I'm contributing something for sure! Already have my resources selected and everything~!!

I guess you can toss me on the preliminary list, I have an idea I'm gonna push into production over the next couple of days.

I'm planning to participate after I finish stuff with speedmapping session and adding more squares(portals) for 150 hell knight project. Going to use some purple or different colour which doom doesn't have it. 

I'm going to join for the second time as well. Fortunately it seems that older custom stuff is now allowed, so I can recycle monster gfx from the previous entry. Also thank heavens for randomize aspect of SNDINFO, will help make my pk3 not as ear grating as my previous one.

22 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

What should I make for this contest???

I'm thinking something arthousey

Go4it

The 2016 contest is what got me to make my first map. I'm very eager to jump in again, even just to see how much I've improved.

19 hours ago, Plusw said:

The 2016 contest is what got me to make my first map. I'm very eager to jump in again, even just to see how much I've improved.

I find it interesting and cool that joel is bringing new people into the community. Did you already play Doom before seeing Joel's contest or did you only get into Doom after seeing his videos?

I had played Ultimate Doom about a year before the first contest but the contest introduced me to mapping.

1 hour ago, Plusw said:

I had played Ultimate Doom about a year before the first contest but the contest introduced me to mapping.

Interdasting.

I know this isn't directly related to the topic per say but I find it amazing how much level design has evolved over the years since the days of the original Doom. We have gone from Doom style 2D drawing to Brush based 3D drawing to awesomely complicated 3D modeling. I wonder if in the future levels will be designed using some kind of virtual reality technology. Already Unreal 4 allows you to design in VR, though how practical that is I don't know.

Not sure about this; last time was disappointing as most of the maps were just Vinesauce memes while the judge seemed amazed with maps covered in Startan.