• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

VINESAUCE DOOM MAPPING CONTEST 2.

11 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Gameplay time-limit?
nah......impossible to know that

You could just make it the amount of time it takes the designer to beat the level the standard. It doesn't have to be 100% correct.

17 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

You could just make it the amount of time it takes the designer to beat the level the standard. It doesn't have to be 100% correct.

If anything, I don't have the thought of estimating the amount of time because I don't care. I just make my maps based of gameplay, difficulty and not having bugs or glitches. That's all.

Im trying to make something before the deadline, but already had to scrap my first design because it involved an overly time-consuming puzzle right at the start. I like the design, though, I might just make it into it's own map one day. 

33 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

If anything, I don't have the thought of estimating the amount of time because I don't care. I just make my maps based of gameplay, difficulty and not having bugs or glitches. That's all.

You don't have to estimate anything. The game tells you how long it took you to beat the map after it's over during the intermission screen.

But anyway this was just an idea. It wasn't a super serious proposal.    

8 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Speaking of long maps, I find it baffling that Joel decided to create a max allowed limit of only one level and yet made no rules regarding how long the level can be. No offense towards the mappers who are making these maps, but I honestly find it a bit rude to make a super long level that takes like 1 hour+ to finish. It just makes the mapper come of as being desperate in that he wants to hog all the stream to himself.

Why is that a baffling limit?, it's quite reasonable since instead of trying to spread your time over 3 maps, you can make a single better map, also gameplay time it's really subjective, i can finish my map in 9 minutes as it currently is, but it might take joel more time since he's not familiar with it, and adding a rule about gameplay time in my opinion really puts a limit on the creativity of the mapper since not just it's finishing a level in less than a month, but also keeping in mind the time it takes to complete a level and if you exceed it, well you are screwed. To say that a map it's long because the author wanted to "hog the stream for himself" it's not entirely accurate

The previous contest winners took more or less 30 minutes to complete on stream, and i had no problem with that, and with the exception of some of the "memetastic" maps, and the "blood room map" (that i gotta agree was a pain to watch, but i blame it on bad design), i had no problem with most of the maps on the previous streams

Perhaps instead of a timer limit it would make more sense to have a size limit. Sort of like with the 10x10 contests or whatever they are called but with a much larger limit.

I still need to finish my 4800hk map but I decided to make a small map for the contest nonetheless :) It more than likely wont be a winner but it will be very very red and probably full of revs hehe

Screenshot_Doom_20180222_164619.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180222_164631.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180222_164644.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180222_164656.png

Here are some early previews of my work in progress and completely unfinished level. I would just like to point out that there is A LOT of unfinished stuff in those screenshots. Many of the models haven't even been properly textured yet and there are also some models that haven't even been finished at all (this room is suppose to have computer control stations for example but it currently doesn't which makes the room look more empty that the final version will be), so pls don't mistake this as being the finished thing. It isn't. Still, I figured it's at least cool enough to use as a minor tease before I start releasing more proper screenshots.

Expect more screens as the projected advances, which won't be long since I only have 4-5 days left before the deadline for the contest ends. Anyway, here are the screens: 

2Zg9J6L.jpg

Tx53CZj.jpg

m1MbA2O.jpg

Several screenshots of the work done:

Spoiler

vinesauce-2018-map-01.png

vinesauce-2018-map-02.png

vinesauce-2018-map-03.png

At the moment, only geometry is ready (95%). I only have a couple of days to make the gameplay and texturing ... It will be difficult.

It is very likely that the map will remain out of contest. Well, or I'll submit it in this form, with temporary textures ...

1 hour ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

At the moment, only geometry is ready (95%). I only have a couple of days to make the gameplay and texturing ... It will be difficult.

It is very likely that the map will remain out of contest. Well, or I'll submit it in this form, with temporary textures ...

I hope you can finish this in time for the contest, seriously the geometry looks quite impressive. Hope to see your map at the contest

My own map it's finished, haven't submited it yet since i keep finding small details here and there, but it's pretty much done at this point, it's not gonna blow anybody out of their socks and might get overshadowed by other maps i've seen people posting, but i hadn't been makin playable maps in a loong time and i gotta be honest i had a blast making it, so i don't really mind

Spoiler

T0DhLlB.png

td6Hd3x.png

Complete layout
ab1BpHO.png

Edited by DMPhobos : added the layout

I've just finished my map basically. All default assets aside from a custom soundtrack. Here are some screenshots. Not as impressive as last year's winners, but I'm pretty proud of it. Takes me about 10 minutes to beat, took my brother like 16 minutes, and one of my friends around 20 I believe.

MappingContestPic6.PNG

MappingContestPic3.PNG

MappingContestPic4.PNG

MappingContestPic5.PNG

MappingContestPic1.PNG

12 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Several screenshots of the work done:

Reveal hidden contents

vinesauce-2018-map-01.png

vinesauce-2018-map-02.png

vinesauce-2018-map-03.png

Lol the geometry alone wipes my level out of the contest. Good shit dude. 

6 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Well my level has immediately been made redundant considering the stuff that i've see here.

lol I feel the same way dude. I was so confident.

3 minutes ago, PepsiBepsi said:

lol I feel the same way dude. I was so confident.

Eh,always happen when competing with the experienced.Dont fret! If you keep mapping you'll win it next time!(Map looks nice btw)

3 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Eh,always happen when competing with the experienced.Dont fret! If you keep mapping you'll win it next time!(Map looks nice btw)

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I just realized i submitted my map with a hilarious rare "glitch", the boss i set at the end can be killed by other monsters and if that happens the ending script is executed for the monsters instead of the player, locking the map, the most stupid thing is that i did noticed that during testing and i coded a fix for that, but i forgot to add the "REPLACES" word in my decorate code so the fix i coded was useless, if that glitch happens on stream, im gonna laugh my ass off, and then hide in shame for the rest of the streams

45 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

I just realized i submitted my map with a hilarious rare "glitch", the boss i set at the end can be killed by other monsters and if that happens the ending script is executed for the monsters instead of the player, locking the map, the most stupid thing is that i did noticed that during testing and i coded a fix for that, but i forgot to add the "REPLACES" word in my decorate code so the fix i coded was useless, if that glitch happens on stream, im gonna laugh my ass off, and then hide in shame for the rest of the streams

OMG rip dude. Your map is so nice too. Hope all goes well.

I'm thinking about adding some quake 4 textures into the mix to spice up my level a bit. It looks a little generic with all default assets.

(edit) Welp, now I'm committed. Let's see if I can re-texture the entire rest of the map, and finish the soundtrack in less than 2 days. ezpz.

status update.png

Edited by PepsiBepsi : (to add the screenshot)

Ya...my maps gonna be pretty close. I hope there are no uploading issues on the day of the deadline, that's all I can say. I'm actually getting pretty nervous now lmao 

Capture454545789.PNG.3028411f6e4b5212a95b125428d2a3ef.PNG

I massively underestimated how much time it would take to make my map. It probably won't be longer than 1-2 min at most because I will have to cut something like 70% of it in order to finish it before the deadline :(

It's a massive shame, because I had such grand plans :(

I guess this is what happens when you try to make a 100+ 3D models and make a large SP map in just 2 weeks :S

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I massively underestimated how much time it would take to make my map. It probably won't be longer than 1-2 min at most because I will have to cut something like 70% of it in order to finish it before the deadline :(

It's a massive shame, because I had such grand plans :(

I guess this is what happens when you try to make a 100+ 3D models and make a large SP map in just 2 weeks :S

Hey man, even if you don't get to finish it for the contest, it looks like a pretty good concept for a map/map pack. I'd love to play it if you finish someday.

Wait when is the deadline exactly? Is it midnight tomorrow or earlier? My map is almost done, I just need to add the final fight area and fix some issues like trying to figure out why monsters are not teleporting on top of a 3d floor bridge I have set up near the end of the map despite the exits being several units above the floor... does anyone know what the cause of this could be?

Screenshot_Doom_20180226_230534.png

1 minute ago, therektafire said:

Wait when is the deadline exactly? Is it midnight tomorrow or earlier? My map is almost done, I just need to add the final fight area and fix some issues like trying to figure out why monsters are not teleporting on top of a 3d floor bridge I have set up near the end of the map despite the exits being several units above the floor... does anyone know what the cause of this could be?

Screenshot_Doom_20180226_230534.png

I think its set to like midnight in Sweden. I live on the east coast of the US, so that'd be like 6pm for me tomorrow. 

Finished texturing, although it's weird, some places look really nice, and others, no matter what I do, they look like shit. Not much time to fix it I guess lol

Screenshot_Doom_20180227_222642.png