Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

VINESAUCE DOOM MAPPING CONTEST 2.

At the end of this stream he mentioned he's done 21 wads so far. At an average of 10 wads each week we might see an end to this in a sane time frame, maybe... I don't think he's mentioned how many wads are present after culling though.

Assuming he doesn't get anymore marathon maps... heh.

27 minutes ago, InsanityBringer said:

At the end of this stream he mentioned he's done 21 wads so far. At an average of 10 wads each week we might see an end to this in a sane time frame, maybe... I don't think he's mentioned how many wads are present after culling though.

Assuming he doesn't get anymore marathon maps... heh.

Well he had one this stream, that babel tower took up 48 minutes and he nocliped half of it

That dark babylon map was basically an entire episode crammed into one map -_-, he should have known this would happen when we limited the amount of maps to 1 but *didn't* limit how long they could be, people are just going to have uploaded multi map wads on that technicality... if he does a 3rd contest he definitely needs to add a time restriction

15 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

Well he had one this stream, that babel tower took up 48 minutes and he nocliped half of it

8 minutes ago, therektafire said:

That dark babylon map was basically an entire episode crammed into one map -_-, he should have known this would happen when we limited the amount of maps to 1 but *didn't* limit how long they could be, people are just going to have uploaded multi map wads on that technicality... if he does a 3rd contest he definitely needs to add a time restriction

I fucking called it.

I predicted that exactly this would happen, and lol and behold. It did. Don't be shocked if it takes him 5-6 months to finish this. As much as I like Joel's content, I honestly don't think he has any idea what he is doing with this contest.

Just now, whirledtsar said:

The map makers should just know not to make a super long, puzzley map if they've ever watched Joel play Doom.

The reason they do this is because they want to hog the stream. It don't think it has anything to do with making a map that Joel can play well.

Just now, hardcore_gamer said:

The reason they do this is because they want to hog the stream. It don't think it has anything to do with making a map that Joel can play well.

Possibly, although I'm not one to assume bad faith. I assume they just weren't familiar with his playstyle and also didn't consider the context of being one among hundreds of wads.

A rule like "if I'm not done after 20 minutes, I'll quit your map and it will be thrown in the garbage" would have been a good idea.

I don't think people are trying to "hog the stream." Obviously you're going to want to put on a great, epic, memorable show on such a big stage. I think that's all that people are trying to do. But it shouldn't take much imagination to foresee that long maps with confusing progression and low resources will turn out exactly like it did for the Babylon map, if you're at all familiar with Joel. Comparing the performance on that map to the next one is pretty interesting; the next map was also very long, but the resources and progression were straightforward enough that he could cruise through mostly on autopilot and joke around tangentially, which seems to be a comfortable place for Joel. :P

52 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

Possibly, although I'm not one to assume bad faith. I assume they just weren't familiar with his playstyle and also didn't consider the context of being one among hundreds of wads.

I do agree with this and what benjogami said, but i must say that even this might come as a bit rude, i think that map spoiled the stream a bit considering it took an hour to get done (and about 1/4 of the map was skipped using noclip) and in that time more maps could have been shown instead, and the wads that came before it well... some of them were a bit into terry territory. Last map had good pacing and good use of custom stuff tough, i liked it

Hope to see better maps next week

1 hour ago, therektafire said:

if he does a 3rd contest he definitely needs to add a time restriction

Problem with this is different people can beat the maps at different rates. Authors will always be able to run their maps in times far, far below what it'll take a new player to beat it, especially compared to someone as unobservant as Joel. For instance, Nine Inch Heels' JoM map can be maxed in like, ~10 minutes, but I've yet to see a streamer spend less than an hour on it. Better restrictions would either be limiting the number of monsters, or play space of the map, or time required to make a map.... though if people want to make long maps, they'll find a way.

Will be interesting to see how Joel handles my map in light of the New Babylon experience, considering that mine is likely to "hog the stream" too, considering that it takes 40-60 minutes to beat it :P

2 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Problem with this is different people can beat the maps at different rates. Authors will always be able to run their maps in times far, far below what it'll take a new player to beat it, especially compared to someone as unobservant as Joel. For instance, Nine Inch Heels' JoM map can be maxed in like, ~10 minutes, but I've yet to see a streamer spend less than an hour on it. Better restrictions would either be limiting the number of monsters, or play space of the map, or time required to make a map.... though if people want to make long maps, they'll find a way.

Will be interesting to see how Joel handles my map in light of the New Babylon experience, considering that mine is likely to "hog the stream" too, considering that it takes 40-60 minutes to beat it :P

Shame :(

jk, but it seems that since vinesauce is such a popular platform and that the contest is open to all types of skills in mapping, maybe setting restrictions on the maximums on another contest might be worthwhile, the way i envisioned it was a kinda quality vs quantity map, where simple maps can be mostly unlimited but more special maps end up being small and pretty (I.M.O the babel map woulda been perfect for joel if the shadow portion and the test rooms were removed, like just kept the city, church, museum, and tower parts, wouldn't have been such a burden and probably would have been seen more favorably).

4 hours ago, Benjogami said:

A rule like "if I'm not done after 20 minutes, I'll quit your map and it will be thrown in the garbage" would have been a good idea.

I don't think people are trying to "hog the stream." Obviously you're going to want to put on a great, epic, memorable show on such a big stage. I think that's all that people are trying to do. But it shouldn't take much imagination to foresee that long maps with confusing progression and low resources will turn out exactly like it did for the Babylon map, if you're at all familiar with Joel. Comparing the performance on that map to the next one is pretty interesting; the next map was also very long, but the resources and progression were straightforward enough that he could cruise through mostly on autopilot and joke around tangentially, which seems to be a comfortable place for Joel. :P

I've argued 5 - 10 minutes. If you can't tell by then its your own problem. Depending on the source port it shows you how many enemies remain.

Anyway... Streamers need hours and days of content.

Perhaps as a "watch party", audience participation sort of thing, we the fans should watch the streams and pick which one of the Doom wads is the best of that stream. Maybe pick a top 3 or whatever.

Anyone know, may i send to Joel updated version of my map? And how do i do it right? I was fix bunch of misaligments, wrong texturing and more critical bugs...

21 minutes ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Anyone know, may i send to Joel updated version of my map? And how do i do it right? I was fix bunch of misaligments, wrong texturing and more critical bugs...

I don;t think you can update wads, they are final at this point. There are things i wanted to change in mine too but i think it was final past the submission date back in like febuary/march

3 minutes ago, MarisaKirisame said:

Hm, if they are final then I hope Joel hasn't updated his gzdoom, because the build of my map I submitted originally no longer works since 3.3.

Pretty sure the rules said the wads would be played only on the stated version of gzdoom so I don't think that will be a problem.

My growing concern is, my map is only one map per se, but it has 2 modes that change the experience much more than just monsters per se, and its not long at all i've been able to beat my map in well under 5, but i do really want him to try out both modes for the best experience.

The babylon map really reminded me of hexen with one huge interconnected word (in this case one map) and how complex it is but I agree that it became a bit of a long slog after a while. Besides the main argument of long maps, there are definitely a lot more good maps this contest than the last.

If there's a silver lining to the long map issue it's that most maps that are "long" (20+ minutes) will probably be higher quality than the shorter 5-10 minute maps on average. Taking into consideration that most community maps that are highly regarded are much much larger than Doom 1-2 maps, the majority of maps that length will be made by more savvy mappers.

Taking that into account most of the screen time should be taken up by "good" maps. But every once in a while there's gonna be one of those.

That's one long ass grey smog level. Gets my vote for the worst so far.

Soon i guess, joel said on twitter that yesterday stream was gonna be moved to today since he was feeling sick, sadly i might not be able to watch it, so i might have to wait for the vod

Well, I missed only 45 minutes of stream. Seems, this one is a bit better than two previous ones.

A lot of quality maps tonight! Even though the wait for my map being played is killing me, I'm still enjoying shooting the shit with everyone else in the chat. :D