Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

VINESAUCE DOOM MAPPING CONTEST 2.

On 5/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, avyon7 said:

i gave in. i just couldnt wait any longer. feelsbadman. do not watch! spoiler alert this is a full playthrough of my map that joel has not played yet

plays really good, nice work!

Pizza Quest 2 was so overwhelmingly good it basically overshadowed every other wad showcased on that stream. And that was a long ass stream.

It did everything right and I laughed my ass off the entire time. Can't wait to play this myself when it comes out. :P

still waiting on dragonfly's map

Joel said he wanted to have a really long stream since he skipped last week to stream E3, this stream mostly had average stuff, but definitively Pizza Quest 2 was the highlight, it relied on some inside jokes from joel's streams, but it was still funny as shit and entertaining to watch. The poor guy who made the map after it got overshadowed a bit

Also, Im still waiting to see more maps teased here on stream

Edited by DMPhobos

18 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Wait what? He's dead?

I think DMPhobos just meant Pizza Quest 2 was a hard map to follow.  The conversation graphic especially was incredibly well done.

Good lord Joel is an unobservant player though.  It was genuinely frustrating to watch him miss obvious pickups, stand in the clear open while an AV fries him, and grabbing all the health kits when he's on 99% health.  I know it's tricky to play well, chat while you do, and keep an eye on the chat-box all at the same time, but even so.

4 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Wait what? He's dead?

lol no, i meant that the guy who made that map got overshadowed by the previous one, like Bauul said, let me edit my post lol

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

Good lord Joel is an unobservant player though.  It was genuinely frustrating to watch him miss obvious pickups, stand in the clear open while an AV fries him, and grabbing all the health kits when he's on 99% health.  I know it's tricky to play well, chat while you do, and keep an eye on the chat-box all at the same time, but even so.

Yeah he skips most ammo even if it is painfully obvious in front of him, it's a bit frustrating at times, even more so joel's ability to save at the worst moment, then take some damage and save again with a worse save again

On 6/22/2018 at 3:45 AM, Bauul said:

LOL! you got that right, In spite the Twitch chat screamed at him to pick this and pick that or not to save at the worst point. But still i really can't fully blame him for that due the sheer amount of participant wads (100 out of 200 or 300?) and the time constraint reason. Also, all the participants wads come with different flavor of architecture which must be confusing him most of the time.

EDIT: Doom mapping contest 2 part 10 just out in case anyone missed live stream on Twitch

Edited by Boomer666 : To add related video regarding Vinesauce doom mapping contest and avoid double posting

Contest has been going on for about 3 and a half months now and as far as I understand it he has at least about 40% of the wads left. I would be stunned if he could even stomach another Doom contest after this.

I also seriously feel he should start making shortened versions of these videos for his main channel since most people are never going to watch all of this stuff. He is at 10 videos so far with each video being 2-3 hours. That's like 20-30 hours and he still has almost half of the wads left. Only a handful few people will watch all of this.

Having used the playlist and the timestamps on the thumbnails I quickly worked out that there's about 37 and a half hours of footage. I don't disagree with you here on the idea of making smaller videos, btu as someone with video editing experience, I can tell you that this will take a very, very long time to bother doing.

55 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Having used the playlist and the timestamps on the thumbnails I quickly worked out that there's about 37 and a half hours of footage. I don't disagree with you here on the idea of making smaller videos, btu as someone with video editing experience, I can tell you that this will take a very, very long time to bother doing.

It would not if he did it instantly after each stream instead of allowing them to pile up.

You're joking, right? When he does the work doesn't change how much work it is to do.

Video editing is a very time expensive activity. To edit 2 hours of footage would take a fair while:
Here's a breakdown of what might be in the video editing after a 2 hour stream

• Watching the full video to take timestamps of content worth keeping. (2 hours)
  • Splitting the video up into 'keep clips' and deleting the rest (30 - 60 mins)
  • Ordering the videos and applying logical transitions between them (30-60 mins)
  • Post-production changes such as overlaid sounds, speedup/slowdown, music, etc (1 - 2 hours)
  • Rendering the video (depends on computer but we'll call it 0 hours under the assumption joel does the rendering overnight while asleep)
  • Uploading the video, writing a description, sharing the video on all applicable social media platforms and chat applications (1 hour of actual time + upload time based on internet speed)

There's a reason he's not done it yet. It's for this same reason I've not yet made a condensed version of the Team Rocket stream yet.

Lastly, this content is very much a 'stream based' type of thing. It's not bitesize enough to justify a condensed version. Most of the viewers who will watch after the stream are either mappers looking out for their maps or maps made by their friends, or hardcore Joel/Vinesauce fans who will watch it all.

8 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Any notable stuff was played here?

There were a couple of newbie maps at the beginning and end, and in the middle of those ones there were some competent maps, my personal highlight was Dance of Demons with it's Castlevania music, also the one that followed started to drag on with it's endless text, but i really liked the ending where you fought doomguy, there was also another "Joel's adventure" map that was really well made with strife dialogue but it didn't looked really fun to play tbh, other than that there wasn't a lot of notable stuff except for joel making fun of the sky and sector toilets on one map lol, no maps from here were on stream again, i feel i should keep watch if any maps shows on stream

3 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I also seriously feel he should start making shortened versions of these videos for his main channel since most people are never going to watch all of this stuff. He is at 10 videos so far with each video being 2-3 hours. That's like 20-30 hours and he still has almost half of the wads left. Only a handful few people will watch all of this.

2 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

It would not if he did it instantly after each stream instead of allowing them to pile up.

That's just nuts! DragonFly explained perfectly why this couldn't work, also keep in mind that the doom contest isn't the only thing joel streams, so i doubt that concentrating his efforts on making a short video for a specific stream series is a priority. I get that there's a lot of hours of content to go thru but that's just the way it is since it's a stream. I found that youtube timestamps are really useful when watching the vod, usually it's rather easy to spot a newbie map or a bad meme zone map after skipping a few minutes using the arrowkeys and moving on to the next timestamp if the map is not worth it. Still i wont deny it, there's a lot of content

14 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

i feel i should keep watch if any maps shows on stream

You watching the streams and letting us know what was played is brilliant, please continue to do so if you're up for it.  We all really appreciate you filling us in so we don't have watch the whole streams ourselves! Thank you genuinely. 

Looks like he is now making the Doom contest a biweekly thing. Sight.

EDIT: 3 weeks and no new stream. Joel is really dropping the ball here.

Edited by hardcore_gamer

On 7/18/2018 at 12:21 PM, hardcore_gamer said:

EDIT: 3 weeks and no new stream. Joel is really dropping the ball here.

There wasn't a stream this tuesday because of this, hopefully he will resume the contest before the week ends since he mentioned he was gonna do doom this week

Spoiler

5VNqegU.jpg

As for the week before, there wasn't a stream too because there was a charity event and he mentioned the whole thing left him exhausted, as for the week before... well dunno maybe he just skipped?

He is taking his time, but that's the way it is, there's tons of content and doom contest isn't the only thing he streams, so i wouldn't be surprised if the contest wraps up by the end of the year. Kinda wish myself that the streams were completed by now, but that's the way it is. Just have some patience

@Kitty This map is impressed me by size and detailing... and hard as hell difficulty. Really, I'm not finish it yet, but I forgot a count of player's deaths. It's looks good and music well chosen (it's Arch Enemy maybe?), but I stuck and can't move forward:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180822_160105.jpg.f9b8430d0bc953089af8d91a4e4c70df.jpg

And 52 mins of first demo attempt (GZDoom 3.4.1). It seems to me, I'm was stop at half of the map.

I'm not seen this map at Joel's stream, but I want to say, it's very well done for one month of developing. And I'm also interesting which gameplay mods included in this wad?

Edited by StormCatcher.77

11 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

@Kitty This map is impressed me by size and detailing... and hard as hell difficulty. Really, I'm not finish it yet, but I forgot a count of player's deaths. It's looks good and music well chosen (it's Arch Enemy maybe?), but I stuck and can't move forward:

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20180822_160105.jpg.f9b8430d0bc953089af8d91a4e4c70df.jpg

And 52 mins of first demo attempt (GZDoom 3.4.1). It seems to me, I'm was stop at half of the map.

I'm not seen this map at Joel's stream, but I want to say, it's very well done for one month of developing. And I'm also interesting which gameplay mods included in this wad?

Is this before or after the first boss? If it's after, you just need to run like hell before there are too many enemies. If it's before, You probably should have been abled to beat the grimvile. Also the song is Heart of Darkness by Arch Enemy. Good for guessing correctly. The second song is Dark Tranquility... I think it was one from the Projector album. PS the map I submitted is a slightly easier version with less lighting and a different, easier ending. Thanks for the feedback too.