Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

VINESAUCE DOOM MAPPING CONTEST 2.

Thanks for the link DMPhobos! A shame it happened in the early hours of the morning, I'd have loved to of been online at the time!

It seems that the map went down really well with both Joel & the viewers, I'm really happy with the response. :) I'll get to packaging this up and releasing it in a thread of it's own soon - probably this week. I'll be sure to drop a link here too :)

I'm totally forgot about this event. If Joel don't play my map this december I'll publish fixed version in last days of the month.

Or maybe he played it already? (I don't watching streams so far)

2 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

I stopped watching that contest anyway.

This.

I lost interest after my map had been played. In fact I had forgotten that the contest was even going on. I know I have said this before but Joel tried to take a bigger bite than he could chew.

Dang, there's some mega saltiness in this thread. Mostly coming from a couple specific people. Honestly I'm glad someone at least somewhat relevant is even streaming OG doom, and even better that it's user made content. "Winning" the contest is really only a side thing. Honestly if it wasn't even a contest I would still like to submit content for it, and if you see it like that you will be far less annoyed when things don't go quite as planned. Could it have been done better? Yeah, but the way some people are reacting over it.. seems kinda messed up somehow. The amount of submissions is over double the last contest, that could have been hard for anyone to guess, and even with the new rule of 1 map people go way out of line and make these boring 1 hour long levels. I'm thankful for the contest and glad he hosted one this year.

26 minutes ago, Whymes5 said:

Dang, there's some mega saltiness in this thread. Mostly coming from a couple specific people. Honestly I'm glad someone at least somewhat relevant is even streaming OG doom, and even better that it's user made content. "Winning" the contest is really only a side thing. Honestly if it wasn't even a contest I would still like to submit content for it, and if you see it like that you will be far less annoyed when things don't go quite as planned. Could it have been done better? Yeah, but the way some people are reacting over it.. seems kinda messed up somehow. The amount of submissions is over double the last contest, that could have been hard for anyone to guess, and even with the new rule of 1 map people go way out of line and make these boring 1 hour long levels. I'm thankful for the contest and glad he hosted one this year.

Wrong. Not saltiness is happening here. It's because of reasons.

Since he has a larger popularity and audience than all of us combined here, he can't play Doom in, for example, one month basing that he could play 10 wads daily. He has to meet expectations for the rest of audience in terms of gaming...can't play Doom all the time.

He can do things better yet of course, it's just that he's starting to drag the contest to the point that it's not appropiated for the mappers that took the time and effort only to see the reaction of a man. It's quite simple. Then again, you're totally right that plans can't go as you can expect.

Its been months and I just want him to play my damn map :(

The moderators stopped verifying? Whaaaat? I know there are a lot of wads, but it's been 9 months. It shouldn't take long to check wads for bad stuff; just open them in SLADE and look at all the assets. And then run through in god mode to make sure it's functional, I guess.

Anyhow, I'm just gonna release my map whenever, probably in the new year. I'm conflicted about it. I'm pretty sure it's just a polite convention that we don't publicly release the wads until Joel has streamed them (does he even care?). I don't want to be rude, but I really like this map. After 9 months, I still think it's the best map that I've made, and it'd be nice to share it with people while I still feel that way.

34 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

Anyhow, I'm just gonna release my map whenever, probably in the new year. I'm conflicted about it. I'm pretty sure it's just a polite convention that we don't publicly release the wads until Joel has streamed them (does he even care?). I don't want to be rude, but I really like this map. After 9 months, I still think it's the best map that I've made, and it'd be nice to share it with people while I still feel that way.

It's up to you really :)

1 hour ago, Benjogami said:

I'm just gonna release my map whenever, probably in the new year. I'm conflicted about it. I'm pretty sure it's just a polite convention that we don't publicly release the wads until Joel has streamed them (does he even care?).

I've been following this whole waiting game that's going on somewhat loosely, and as far as I'm concerned there's no reason not to release the map regardless of whether it's been played on stream or not.

Sure, Joel has some additional exposure to offer that's nice to have, on the other hand the work of the mappers involved is something he makes money off by streaming it. I wouldn't say that deal is a clean quit pro quo, but it's close enough in my book that releasing the map when you feel like it, given the circumstances in question, is not as rude as it seems at first sight, if at all. Basically the map is your IP, and I think at this point you can treat it as such if you feel like doing so.

I reached out to him on Twitter, as I'm interested in moderating the remaining WADs, although getting an actual hold of Joel I've found to be pretty much impossible at this point - I'm not sure why, maybe I've just been unlucky, cos I know he's usually active on there and on Discord. I guess I'll keep trying.

I wonder why his mod team disappeared? Lost faith in humanity after sifting through too many Terrywads? (I realise they're probably reading this thread so I don't wanna speculate - but I do hope they weren't manually playing every single submission without looking at it in-editor first. Saves a whole lot of work, and potential nasty surprises.)

EDIT: From what I'm reading in this thread, @Anthropophagus89 was more or less the only one doing all the moderating of the submissions? Geez, I hope he had some help. And maybe a therapist on speed-dial.

I notice he's not posted here in a while. Folks in this thread didn't exactly treat him nice, either. That's a little disappointing.

This whole situation needs correcting ASAP and I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm willing to help out.

EDIT 2: I don't think I can find Anthro on Twitch. There's a blank account under the name "Anthropophagus99" but I don't wanna presume these are the same person. I uh, hope everything's okay...

Edited by Jimmy

I have absolutely no idea what any of the stuff in this thread is going on about but I will just say: Jesus Christ, never ever ever hold back on releasing a project or taking credit for work you have done for the sake of some streamer.

5 hours ago, Linguica said:

I have absolutely no idea what any of the stuff in this thread is going on about but I will just say: Jesus Christ, never ever ever hold back on releasing a project or taking credit for work you have done for the sake of some streamer.

He can do things better yet of course, it's just that he's starting to drag the contest to the point that it's not appropiated for the mappers that took the time and effort only to see the reaction of a man.

*shrug*

I think he's basically encouraging releasing submissions on their own at this point, and a few already were released before they were streamed now anyway. Well, the only reason I do wish it was over was so that the submissions would be released so we can play them since they won't all be released individually by the authors. You know, I think he has been streaming them for about 8 months so far? Even at that long time, if the original amount of submissions was around 250 (some denied), that's still around 30 wads a month. Doable, but... not that crazy to see that it's still going on, only if it's been well over a year would it even start to get into bad territory. My point is that just by the nature of the competition there's not much reason to be annoyed, lol.

On 12/13/2018 at 8:25 PM, Kitty said:

Just wanted to let anyone out of the loop know, Joel stopped playing the maps because his mods stopped verifying them. Might take a while to finish the contest. (Sick Joel || Pathethic Doom 25 Birthday Stream + Isaac ( maybe ) ) go to 29:00)

Sadly it just proves what was already on peoples minds. The contest suffered from terrible management skills, and to be simple joels laziness. Joel was more than happy doing doom once a week for a contest, when it should have been more, and people have held off releasing their maps for it.

But @Benjogami is right, it shouldn't have taken this long to verify the wads, a minimap check, a quick noclip run through is all it really needs.

But I do hope the moderators are alright, I know joel is since he still streams regularly but its a shame this contest crashed and burned.

I almost forgot I made a map for this.

PanicInParadise

Won't run in Boom for obvious DECORATE use.

I'd recommend using the most current GZDoom build. Mouselook should also be enabled.

It is quite disappointing things just stopped, joel should had mentioned that before instead of keeping people waiting for the next stream, i don't blame people for getting mad about the delay, specially those who submitted a map and are still waiting after all this time. There's no reason to held back a release unless the author is waiting for a reaction from him or to made a surprise reveal of sorts, and i think he mentioned being okay about that in a previous stream. Still I do hope joel gets his shit back together and resumes soon...

12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I reached out to him on Twitter, as I'm interested in moderating the remaining WADs, although getting an actual hold of Joel I've found to be pretty much impossible at this point - I'm not sure why, maybe I've just been unlucky, cos I know he's usually active on there and on Discord. I guess I'll keep trying.

Joel often mentions that he's reachable by mail and that he does try to read them, might be worth trying there

14 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I notice he's not posted here in a while. Folks in this thread didn't exactly treat him nice, either. That's a little disappointing.

I think it was a bit of bad timing. He first popped up here when there was already growing impatience over the frequency of the streams and the lack of clarity over whether submitted maps had been accepted or not.  So people kind of jumped on him looking for answers. 

If I recall correctly there weren't all that many maps rejected, maybe 30 or so out of the 300 submitted, so it wasn't like he was absolutely drowning in Terry maps. That said, there was some indication that he wasn't all that experienced with mapping for Doom (for example he presumed a bigger file size equated to a longer map) so perhaps couldn't quickly review a map for quality in Doom Builder the same way an experienced mapper could.

It really needed a team of people who could quickly identify if a map was worth playing through. One guy without any personal mapping experience doing it all himself is a bit much. 

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:29 AM, Bauul said:

I think it was a bit of bad timing. He first popped up here when there was already growing impatience over the frequency of the streams and the lack of clarity over whether submitted maps had been accepted or not.  So people kind of jumped on him looking for answers. 

If I recall correctly there weren't all that many maps rejected, maybe 30 or so out of the 300 submitted, so it wasn't like he was absolutely drowning in Terry maps. That said, there was some indication that he wasn't all that experienced with mapping for Doom (for example he presumed a bigger file size equated to a longer map) so perhaps couldn't quickly review a map for quality in Doom Builder the same way an experienced mapper could.

It really needed a team of people who could quickly identify if a map was worth playing through. One guy without any personal mapping experience doing it all himself is a bit much. 

Hm well he definitely knows how to *use* DB since he did a mapping stream a couple of years ago, its on his youtube channel iirc

2 hours ago, therektafire said:

Hm well he definitely knows how to *use* DB since he did a mapping stream a couple of years ago, its on his youtube channel iirc

I meant Joel's moderator who was reviewing the maps, Anthropophagus88, not Joel himself. 

I didn't stop checking the wads. I have been busy as of late though (work, then going on a trip abroad) and Joel sadly ran out of wads in the meantime. I am however testing wads while typing this. 

Also, forgot to mention, I changed name on twitch. You can find me under the name 'Necropophagist'.

Edited by Anthropophagus89

On 12/14/2018 at 6:29 PM, Bauul said:

I agree. I'm trying to push out wads for Joel to play but since most other who playtested seems burnt out on playing doom and with me having no real Doom Wad experience, it takes time. I think things will speed up soon though.