Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimosaur

VINESAUCE DOOM MAPPING CONTEST 2.

On 5/18/2018 at 7:29 AM, Delete said:

Oohhh this was the stream where Joel played my map.

I still feel super bad to this day for that script I forgot to edit where Joel died in the last cutscene.

I actually had that fixed but kept multiple different copies of my map at different states and submitted the one with that mistake.

Now I think my map was kinda bad and I tried a lot of different ambitious shit considering it was my first map instead of just keeping stuff simple but well, at least I shaped the idea I had in my mind for so long.

Edited by GenoCL

@Benjogami When testing Dragonfly's map we had a lot of similar discussions about balancing. Joel is a pretty distracted player because he's more focused on chatting to his audience than playing the wad as best he possibly can. Which is fine, but it means you have to really cater for that specific audience.

DF heavily nerfed his map, and then heavily nerfed it again, to the extent anyone here would find it too easy (indeed a lot of the feedback received when it was released was that it was too easy) but Joel thought the balance was really good. It's kind if the price you pay for making a map that works well in that specific situation. 

If Joel found it too hard it means most people here will probably find it just right. So it doesn't mean it's a bad map, just not right for the specific audience. 

6 hours ago, Dime said:

Did Dragon release the prenerf Order of the Odonata?

Nope, it was nerfed during creation. I might revisit it one day, who knows - no promises though

Mr. Icarus thought it could stand to be a bit harder...that should tell you something ;)

Either way, I quite enjoyed the map, the combat was fun, but not a supreme challenge.

https://twitter.com/joel_vinesauce/status/1082823172133715968

List of the remaining maps was posted on Twitter. Mine's not on it though, and I have suspicions that I was disqualified but I have no idea why. :T

2 hours ago, MarisaKirisame said:

I've been told he mentioned me in this stream. I was most likely in bed at the time. What did he say?

There was a creepy unsettling map where joel picked a crowbar and mentioned it was a bit similar to soundless mound

Edited by DMPhobos

I couldn't say, but i feel like your name was mentioned at some point in the streams (I've been sifting through all of them to see if mine was played yet), it may have been played. If the map were described I might remember.

31 minutes ago, valkiriforce said:

I'm #261 on that list (lostdreams.wad) but it's crossed out. Does that mean I was disqualified or was it already played?

It was a bit rushed since I had only 5 days left or so by the time I got to working on it, so it's nothing too spectacular but it has a dark night atmosphere and almost all of the monsters are somewhat randomized teleports since I wanted to toy around with the idea of random encounters, but the timing to work out and refine it were just too close to the deadline so I submitted it as-is.

fIlQHdr.png

Hmm maybe, did the map require only one of the three keys to exit?

Im gonna throw a random guess about that list and the wads that look grey and crossed out... but i think it looks like that because it could be an html link that was clicked before

16 minutes ago, valkiriforce said:

Yeah actually, it only needed one of any of the three keys to exit.

By the way the map can be played here: http://www.doomshack.org/uploads/lostdreams.wad

Yeah he played yours, I think it was 1-2 streams ago. If I had to guess, crossed out entries on the list are ones that have been played since he made the list.

@valkiriforce

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/357958573?t=07h09m

So that means 7 WADs remain...

AncientOutpost1.wad
metal as fuck.wad
spacedilemma.wad
Mortic Canyon.wad
Incident666 (readme and Comic within).wad
wackyman's rise to fame.wad

PlainPage.wad

I hope that gets smashed out in one single stream and we see this come to a close soon. :)

Joel mentioned the contest on his last stream but didn't say anything about when. But he did say that he goes on vacation in a month. So either its done this month or postponed till May fml.

I've reached out to him on the contest's testers' Discord but no response yet.

I've seen a few of the live streams but i've been wondering this as well. I'm currently finishing watching the final video of the 2016 (first) mapping contest so i still have a LONG way to go before i catch up to the current 2018 mapping contest videos. Thankfully he uploads everything to youtube.

I never watched his video's before a couple of months ago but i find his Doom streams to be pretty funny & interesting so i watch his Twitch from time to time now. He seems like a pretty cool dude. I'm just not really into the whole "meme" thing that his community seems to be into.

It's coming, it would appear.

edit: It appears he attempted tonight, but his internet continued to be bad so he wasn't able to do it. He'll try again tomorrow, hopefully his net will stop being terrible.

Edited by SaladBadger

On 3/21/2019 at 8:19 PM, Kitty said:

Doom Finale is tomorrow. Cross your fingers.

Crossing my fingers didn't work. It's postponed again till Joel fixes his bitrate.

Edited by Kitty

As a resident of a country where streaming is made extremely frustrating by how internet speeds could be outdone by a carrier pigeon, I feel his pain.

It'll come.