doom keeps me alive

Classic, WASD+mouse, or other?

WASD, classic, or other?   

73 members have voted

1. 1. Classic or WASD+mouse controls?

• Classic
    • WASD+mouse
    • Other

Me too, WASD+ Mouse. In my earliest childhood I guess I used to play with arrow keys to move in video games. But once I got to WASD, I got hooked to it.

E S F C here, with move!

Using D to jump and Q to crouch (note it's on AZERTY layouts !)

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

WASD + mouse here as well (no mouse look however).

I guess NOVERT + not looking up or down is what you mean?

1 hour ago, Oxyde said:

E S F C here, with move!

Using D to jump and Q to crouch (note it's on AZERTY layouts !)

You cant' jump or crouch in Doom

WASD + Mouse since 2004. Doom 3 was the last game I completed with keyboard only.

Also, NOVERT when playing vanilla wads on DosBox.

48 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Yes.

Keyboard + mouse for hard wads or Nightmare.

Keyboard only for easy classic wads that I usually run with Dosbox.

wasd+mouse. can't think of another setup for shooters.

i started with the classic keyboard only setup in wolf3d, kept this in doom (with alt for strafing instead of separate strafing keys).  

went wasd+mouse when quake came out in 96, because mouselook and strafe keys changed my game completely.

its was difficult though to get rid of my keyboarding habits, and for some reason using the right hand middle finger for walking forward was so ingrained that i kept mouse2 for forward and actually use asd for moving and w for secondary fire or whatever important function the game has.

used novert for vanilla until ports with mouselook  came out, iirc first legacy, then jdoom/doomsday and then gzdoom, so playing without mlook seems lacking something to me today. 

but basically mouse+keyboard, yes.

I'm not sure why people get this idea that playing with the keyboard using the default settings is "classic". You know that back in the 90s we all still rebound our controls how we wanted, right? Even Doom's built-in demos are recorded using a keyboard+mouse.

9 minutes ago, fraggle said:

I'm not sure why people get this idea that playing with the keyboard using the default settings is "classic". You know that back in the 90s we all still rebound our controls how we wanted, right? Even Doom's built-in demos are recorded using a keyboard+mouse.

With respect to WASD though, I don't think I saw that until the Team Fortress Classic / Counterstrike era. Maybe the configuration was common knowledge in competitive circles, but scrubs like me weren't exposed until '98 or '99

edit: that is to say, I would shove the keyboard way to the left side of the desk, and use the arrow keys + mouse until being exposed to WASD

1 hour ago, soner du said:

Other : arrow keys + mouse (left button to shoot, right button to use, scroll for weapons)

YUSSS. I'm not the only one who uses arrow keys instead of wsad.

I played Wolfenstein 3D with mouse and keyboard already... but used arrow keys. Maybe I initially forgot mouse control in Doom, but then refound it in Terminator: Future Shock demo or Descent.

In vanilla Doom on DOSBox I play with arrow keys, but in most source ports (and most other fps games) I play with a weird mouse+wasd setup that goes like this:

W = forward, S = backward, Q = strafe left, E = strafe right, spacebar = use, C or X = altfire (if available), ctrl = crouch (if available), LMB = fire, mousewheel up/down = previous/next weapon, RMB = jump (if available).

I might seem like a heathen but with regular wasd I can't comfortably reach the numbers row or the bottom letter row so it seems quite impractical to me. Also it's more comfortable for my tiny babby hands this way.

WASD is the only way for me, even if it wasn't the standard for me for years (not until 2012). ESDF comes second however, but only if a game forces me to, only had one so far do that (WWII GI because it's retarded).

Chocolate Doom - arrow keys(with left and right keys rebound to strafe left/right + ctrl

Prboom+ - wasd + mouse(with vertical aiming disabled)

GZDoom - wasd + mouse

For the last 15 years or so, I have used arrow keys to move, D for shoot, S and F for strafe, and space for use. Old habits die very hard, that is, they don't die. 

16 hours ago, DoomGater said:

You cant' jump or crouch in Doom

Actually, yes, but as the first ever port I got working correctly out of Doom95, was Edge, and I went with that set of keys (since it felt comfortable enough to me). Now even playing DOS, I keep that set of keys and adapt according to the needs of the game I'm playing!

I usually go good ol. wasd, but for chocolate doom, I have rebound the keys in an effort to make a keyboard variant of WASD. Essentially arrow keys do what mouse would do, left and right arrows to turn, up arrow to fire, and down arrow to use.

13 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

For the last 15 years or so, I have used arrow keys to move, D for shoot, S and F for strafe, and space for use. Old habits die very hard, that is, they don't die. 

That's cool. I've never gotten used to the classic controls, I'm trying to, though. 

When I first started Dooming, I used the default controls, but without a mouse. I crowded both hands around that one corner of the keyboard. I held shift to run and I didn't strafe at all. It's amazing I even enjoyed playing Doom that way for so long (probably at least five years). It probably explains why I almost always cheated back in the day. 

Both. Prefer keyboard + moouse but sometimes I like to eat while playing so I made a scheme where I can play keyboard only with 1 hand.