Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

I reorganized everything, and things are starting to be a bit more clear now.
I'm going to upscale doom1 first then doom2. If you want to test :

Here is the first pk3 for DOOM 1 , without too much bugs. edit -removed obsolete links-

what is upscaled :
-flats, textures, skies

-items

-interface

-soldier ( it's still the old version but it works)

-imp
Known bugs:
-blue armor
-barrel
-fire barrel (could be called dancing firebarrel :P)

-flame candle skull base 
-gzdoom HIRES system seems to clip upscaled sprites in the ground (?)

Edited by hidfan

@hidfan yes, my hi-res flaming barrel and torches dancing so much. I did decorate special for them. I made torches 5 times, and everytime they "dancing". After made them in decorate - work fine.

I would love to try this out, although I can't access google. ;/ Is it possible to host this pk3 on mediafire as well?

Also, @hidfan I don't want to be annoying, but it seems you want to do all the work by yourself. Is that so, or are you open to help from others? Pixel cleanup, for example or even help with the texture names and .wad creation, etc.

@elendI don't want to do it alone, not at all =)
I'm going to upscale everything first, prepare all sources and psd, ready for batching, then, when everything is solid enough, I'll be open to any help.
Actually, I'd love other people to finish it :D, the most fun part (for me) will be done
edit -removed obsolete links- , does it work better ?

Edited by hidfan

v0.3 
-fixed some item animations bugs (@Teder, if you have a file that can fix the flame barrel, that would help me :) torches are ok)
-updated Soldier gun
-added Soldier Shotgun (with dirty masking)

edit -removed obsolete links-

what's next
-I'll add other monsters with dirty masking
-weapons and effects.
-doom2 textures,
-doom2 monsters,
- the second pixel touching pass (better masks).
- the third pixel touching pass (pixel colors remove bugs (bad color, noise, bad tiling))
etc...

-menus (?)

Edited by hidfan

Dropbox is just marginally better (also blocked in China xD) but thanks for your effort anyway. I will manage it. Just gotta find a new VPN that works on my laptop as well and not just my phone.

And yeah, great work so far, can't wait to see these textures in action on my PC.

FCANA0 has a blue pixel, I removed it and here is pk3 with new @hidfan upscaled barrel. Works fine.

Oh, if You can scale it with Your pk3, cause I don't have any google drive stuff.

Don't forget to change zip extension to pk3.

burning_barrel_upscaled.zip

Thanks @Teder (animation is fixed for me but the scale isn't working)

Version 0.4 available :

-fixed burning barrel animation
-added Pinky
-added Lost Soul
-added Cacodemon

-added HellBaron

some screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181027_192526.png.bbd86c3377f2185a9d52b2c3554b3aa4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20181027_191501.png.650aa63f7702654f6e0659dcb134f809.pngScreenshot_Doom_20181027_191322.png.418756b5226bc184fb3abc7722443c61.pngScreenshot_Doom_20181027_191234.png.8d1a74510c76389d37e4ed0970d1bc4e.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181027_191157.png.d5240fee8fabd4832118e1e0af737bca.pngScreenshot_Doom_20181027_191104.png.9acc2da52b29331d699af14734fd1324.pngScreenshot_Doom_20181027_191009.png.b0064d5f26b24d281b2410e0296e6d99.png

Edited by hidfan : added download link

Wow, this does look indeed amazing. I really love how the sprites look ingame. Amazing work so far!

Thanks hidfan, looking like a whole new slate for Doom atm. Gobsmacked tbh. Seen some worthwhile handtouched highres stuff before, but nothing that retains singular pixel line definitions like this. Particularily impressed by how it extends original artistic detail (e.g. added depth to the brick windows), reshapes cross hatching (e.g. Icon Of Sin's nasal cavities) and manages alpha channel transitions with the added resolution. No Doom HUD portrait has come close to the face I see in that last batch of shots, just wow. I believe the detail on Mancubus' tummy to be skin marbling, frequently found on decomposing corpses.

Please don't become a decomposing corpse before you've finished complete sweeps for both games and handed them over to the community! Take your time!

Thanks guys for the nice words.
@Soundblock : If I don't want to become decayed before the end, I think it's better to not take my time  :D

version 0.5 of the .pk3s are available

for doom 1 59 Mo

for doom 2 74 Mo

What's new

+fixed step1/2 flats and texture overlapping names (thanks @Teder !)
+CyberDemon (dirty Mask)
+SpiderMasterMind (dirty Mask)
+SoldierChaingun (dirty Mask)
+Revenant (mask's 1st refinement)

+Weapons (mask's 1st refinement)

+Menus for Doom1 and Doom2 (dirty Mask)
+Flats and Textures for Doom2

What's left to do 

-Doom2 remaining monsters : HellKnight, PainElemental, Mancubus, Arachnotron, ArchVile, EndBossbox

-Effects (Teleport, bood splat, etc..)

-Remake vines from patches instead than from textures
-Refine monsters masks (Soldiergun, Imp, HellBaron and Revenant are "ok")

-Search and Debug flats and textures that don't tile very well (grass in doom2 for instance)

-Refine weapons

-Refine menus masks

I need technical help

-How to fix the ground clipping of the bottom of the sprites ?

-How to deal with the ArchVile/1 (/2/3 etc..) naming (forbidden character) ?

As you can see, it's already quite playable.(all textures and weapons, 65% of monsters).
I don't like a lot the upscaled menus.

I finally got around to testing v0.4 and am already quite amazed! It looks marvelous and surprisingly „highres“, even though it‘s „just“ a 2x upscale. I am floored by how awesome it looks already. 

A lot of textures and enemies obviously do need some manual work done. But that is really not a problem in my opinion. The changes would be minimal, I think. The menu font needs some work of course, as does the HUD, but still... I may be repeating myself, but it looks awesome. 

Great, great work @hidfan ! I love it and thank you very, very much for all the effort you put in! 

5 hours ago, hidfan said:

I need technical help

In my experience, this tends to be an issue with OpenGL renderers. If you're using GZDoom, there's a couple easy fixes:

Option 1: Display Options > OpenGL Options > Set "Adjust Sprite Clipping" to "Smart", "Smarter", or "Always"

Option 2: Set Video Mode > Set "Render Mode" to either "Doom Software Renderer" or "True Color SW Renderer"

@Lollie : nope, unfortunately, none of your solutions work (if disabled the clipping is worse), it's probably a problem with the \Hires code. t
Tanks for the tip anyway :)

1 hour ago, hidfan said:

@Lollie : nope, unfortunately, none of your solutions work (if disabled the clipping is worse), it's probably a problem with the \Hires code. t
Tanks for the tip anyway :)

You may know all this but according to https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement subdirectories in HIRES is not defined and ZDOOM might not find the sprites or tags them wrong. Further more the sprites in this project have no offset. Original sprite lumps store offset coordinates to place the sprite at correct x/y(z) position. ZDoom can use those offset coordinates in PNGs. The offset for the sprites in this project should be 2* offset x/y of the low res sprites. Otherwise the engine puts the sprite at the wrong position (see screenshot).

Screenshot_2018-10-29_16-38-17.png

10 hours ago, hidfan said:

I need technical help

-How to deal with the ArchVile/1 (/2/3 etc..) naming (forbidden character) ?

@hidfan what DOOM port do You use? On Gzdoom and zandronum sprites clipping work fine.

Windows rename "/" to "^"in exporting from SLADE, so if You put those sprites back to upscaled pk3 You'll just rename it back to "/".

@saski : no, I don't know much :) I'm quite a newbie in zdoom editing, I know things, but a few.
I don't have the same problem as shown in your screenshot. I'll check to put the files in sprites, as I indeed used a "free personal" directory naming :)
oh, the "smarter" 

@Teder : I use gzdoom 325

Oh... the clipping setting was not working when I tried ollie's Option1 (it was set as smart before), but is efficient now that I restarted doom, silly me... 
: "smarter" fixed it (but the sprites are sliding a bit)

14 minutes ago, hidfan said:

Just checked back with latest gzdoom and to my suprise sprites are rendered correctly however I don't understand why since you need sprite offsets. Maybe because they are hires sprites. Anyway I'll have to check the gzdoom source.

Probably a stupid question, but am I supposed to load the doom1 and 2 pk3s when playing doom 2, or does the d2 pk3 include the d1 stuff?

3 hours ago, siteod said:

Probably a stupid question, but am I supposed to load the doom1 and 2 pk3s when playing doom 2, or does the d2 pk3 include the d1 stuff?

Doom2 has all the doom1 needed files. Both are standalone :)

2 hours ago, hidfan said:

Doom2 has all the doom1 needed files. Both are standalone :)

Okay cool, thanks. sorry

So, I have tried the last version of your upscale pk3 with one of my favourite WADs: "Breach". In my opinion this brings out the awesomenes of this project even more. I mean... look at it!

Screenshot_Doom_20181031_112328.jpg.03310ad31380898417bd64610985680d.jpg

More Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181031_112249.jpg.79622f3d5f7e510c682f3482f2c1e60b.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181031_112350.jpg.ada382eb4606d83e2452c7b4621334b9.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181031_112628.jpg.f99b6183b0c46057b51cf541f200bf2d.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181031_112724.jpg.fd83ae9f4f24d2fb94189bec29370940.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181031_112734.jpg.23615f91b84cebcac5dfbf040f98e09c.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181031_112756.jpg.b64fdaee00ab15e3cbbea94c02a53c5b.jpg

I'll play this wad, I love the level design , it's gorgeous. thanks !

Looks like your sprites are also clipping in the ground.(barrel, dead bodies)

@elend Screenshots look just great. It will be my fav hirespak with pixels look (I always play with nearest neighbour). Even on my hires project some textures still have little pixels. All graphics I shown as honey16 are in nearest neighbour but looks like bicubic cause I use 128x10 (x, y) pixels size for common textures.

@hidfanI'm couriuos - what would happen if upscaled graphic will be uspcaled once again by Nvidia filter? :)

40 minutes ago, Teder said:

@hidfanI'm couriuos - what would happen if upscaled graphic will be uspcaled once again by Nvidia filter? :)

-as it scales 8x, only 1024x1024 max images, that means :
-only scale up 4x before down sizing (more AI artifacts will show up),
-or cut images into smaller paks (lot of work)

Also, as the current 2X already have a distortion in artistic style caused by the AI algorythm, I fear it will be worse. (see test below 1x 2x 4x)
HellBaron1X2X4X.jpg.9b78132dcfe5a356343c81180621efdf.jpg

Current images have to be pixel corrected and detailed as much as possible first.

Yes, there‘s definitely work needed on this Nvidia stuff. But it‘s minimal and once this is done another upscale can‘t hurt I guess? Even though you’d definitely lose the „pixel look“ at one point. 

I am quite happy with a 2x upscale, that‘s actually the sweet spot of looking more fitting to today‘s resolutions as well as still retaining that pixel art style.