Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

1 hour ago, Saad356 said:

The Drive Link is dead

Someone help

8c

The link in the first post of this thread works. I just downloaded and played this and it is very very nice. I only have a couple quibbles: the intestines of the Cacodemon corpse look a little too clean and the demon when munching you also looks somehow too clean; needs more detail or something; otherwise everything looks much improved. I noticed some new details in SP_HOT1 which were really nice. 

One other thing: BIGDOOR7 has some visual glitch at the bottom of the door. You can see this at the beginning of E3M8. 

Can't wait for others to pick up the torch and graphically overhaul all our favorite megawads. :D

7 hours ago, Hellbent said:

the intestines of the Cacodemon corpse look a little too clean and the demon when munching you also looks somehow too clean

Demon nutritional guides and dental care have come a long way since the early 90s. Please do not shame our sulfurous brethren for their healthier lifestyle.

OK, so my last post was a bit too...brash I suppose? But yes, Kotaku is known for falling behind other outlets sometimes. If they want to look better, they would update their article ASAP as mentioned by the OP.

Namaste! Awesome work!

I strongly believe that the exact technique would work wonders on Quake. In the past I was very disappointed by all the "Quake retextured"-projects. And since I am very happy with Doom upscaled...

How do I use this with GZDoom on Linux? Do I need to unpack it and replace some files? Do I just put it in the GZDoom config directory?

Why the hell did it go viral? It looks awful, and has so much jpeg noise, that it's not even funny. I get it, some people might like it, but why do I see so many people talking about it, rather than talk about stuff that's much more interesting than waifu2x on all the textures and sprites? Seriously guys, I will never get people.

45 minutes ago, Chamelenoel said:

Why the hell did it go viral? It looks awful, and has so much jpeg noise, that it's not even funny. I get it, some people might like it, but why do I see so many people talking about it, rather than talk about stuff that's much more interesting than waifu2x on all the textures and sprites? Seriously guys, I will never get people.

Um, you must have posted this in the wrong thread, 'cause it doesn't make any sense in this one.

@hidfan fix for burning barrel:

replace first line in decorate_BurningBarrel.dec code with this new one:

ACTOR BurningBarrelNUS : BurningBarrel replaces BurningBarrel

so, the full decorate should looks like this:

ACTOR BurningBarrelNUS : BurningBarrel replaces BurningBarrel
{
  Radius 16
  Height 32
  Scale .5
  ProjectilePassHeight -16
  +SOLID
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    FCAN ABC 4 Bright
    Loop
  }
}

EDIT:

A pic:

Screenshot_Doom_20181224_001208.jpg.c31090980b36cf46c27e33694c532d32.jpg

Oh, and I forgot:

the standard barrels have translucent pixels line by sides:

Screenshot_Doom_20181224_001512.jpg

Edited by Teder

@hidfan Hi, awesome work, the textures look perfect!!!

I was wondering, since your avatar is from Heretic, do you have any plan to do the same with Heretic & Hexen? That would be awesome! :D

Thanks for the great work!

You really need to have a talk with Gifty about upscaling his Smooth additions. These two mods together would be like the pinnacle of vanilla-faithful but improved Doom presentation.

21 hours ago, Chamelenoel said:

Is this a genuine question? Because if so, the answer is that it is not waifu2x or any algorithm similar. Nor is there jpeg noise. The textures and sprites have been upscaled using an AI, and the results are far more faithful to the original than any other high res pack done either by hand or by upscalers like waifu2x. Yes, there is some noise, the AI isn't perfect, but that will all be touched up by hand. This mod isn't finished yet. 

So in short, it went viral because it's the most faithful and high quality high res pack ever made for doom, with the additional intrigue factor of being made by an AI

10 hours ago, Trusty_McLegit said:

the results are far more faithful to the original than any other high res pack done either by hand or by upscalers

Hallelujah!

So I'm playing slaughterfest 3 and there's an amusing sprite break where the pink infinite bfg is now a chainsaw that shoots bfg plasma. On the off chance this is just because there's a palette swap issue, I was wondering if it might be possible to have that added to the pack at some point. If not, well then I guess just enjoy the anecdote lol

Edited by siteod

Thank you @hidfan.

I haven't enjoyed Doom since I had a CRT monitor.

Last night I played through almost all of Knee-Deep in the dead with nearly the same enthusiasm I had as a teenager.

Any chance you could write a little bit more about what hardware you are running this upscaler on and how long it takes to work up a single sprite?

Great work I'm certain you'll get all the kinks worked out, try not to let the nagging pedants get you down.

Hi guys! Whats up? I created a mod for Hidfan's 'Doom Neural Upscale 2X', and called it "Faithful Doom". My mod is adding new sprites on top of vanilla doom. Also it goes with additional animations hd pack to play with Hidfan's Upscale2X version.

For now it will be in gdrive, later I'll move it to moddb or somewhere else.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mvtaQGliyf22EfzzS35Szl6ufPkis54n

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AiCFKkDrUAMl3aulEp4yGQail3UltPoR

Again, thank you @hidfan for beautiful sprites and textures :)

That is definitely the best HQ Doom music pack in existence right now. The only other option I would suggest is the original Roland SC-55 soundset, which is more retro but still higher quality than the standard in-game midi.

6 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

That's insanely good. A shame I don't have $70 to throw at the software.

70 BUCKS?!? That's dirt cheap for something like this! I thought it'd be something in the 1000's!

It is cheap but I don't have much in the way of disposable income :P

It's on sale atm, off sale it goes up to 99, which is still cheap to be completely fair.