Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

13 hours ago, Louco Diamante said:

Sigil ready? I mean, does Sigil uses some new texture not covered by NeuralUpscale?

Sigil does not use any new textures of any sort, not even new ones from Doom 2

You should be 100% fine to use this textures pack in Sigil

1 hour ago, 22_deathgrip said:

Sigil does not use any new textures of any sort, not even new ones from Doom 2

You should be 100% fine to use this textures pack in Sigil

Amazing! Thank you for the information

On 5/25/2019 at 10:25 PM, dpkonofa said:

You're correct. The issue is that you have to decide whether to use the old filters or the new ones. If you use the new ones, then anyone playing on an old version of GZDoom won't be able to use the mod as the filters will get ignored since they are newly added. If you use the old ones, though, there's a chance that future versions of GZDoom will ignore them, depending on Graf Zahl's plan for these filters. They have been marked for deprecation which means they shouldn't be used but there's some disagreement as to whether everyone should be switching over.

Sorry, but this is wrong. Deprecation does not, has never and will never mean removal.

There are no plans by anyone to remove the old filters - doing that would only break old mods for no benefit at all. If the old filters aren't working right now, then that's a bug and should be reported as such in the ZDoom forums ASAP.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:56 PM, JPL said:

TNT.WAD defines its own versions of these switch textures by the same name. Incidentally, my WadSmoosh program renames and replaces these Final Doom specific textures, so the Neural Upscale mod works fine alongside them with no changes needed.

Doesn't work.

Tried it with the HD pack and Plutonia, the first doors you see are messed up with an enlarged skill

However the error it tn_map06 was fixed, so thats cool

Edited by 22_deathgrip

Is there a way to use this with Beautiful Doom? As of now looks like Beautiful Doom (or HRRP I'm really not sure) overrides this mod's enemies at least, that I immediately noticed.

Here's my mod list for playing Sigil (see attach) don't want to stray much from Vanilla:

Any suggestion are welcome

Thank you

doommods.jpg

On 5/25/2019 at 9:16 PM, Doomenator said:

By downloading AltDHTP you got specific information on all textures that are different. I'm not going to solve the problem for you, but I can suggest solutions. There are several. You can rename filter folders. You can overwrite the textures. You can change the texture names and add information about them. You can make a separate patch. What and how to do is up to you. For me it is not relevant at all. 

By the way my current Doom version is Zandronum 3.0. )

Hi Doomenator. 

I reported the incompatibility with AltDHTP and 4.1.2 that does not occur in 2.4.0 in a bug threat. They have found and fixed it. 

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=64915

https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/commit/b8a188705eee3cf97d2e653d030700057e3b6c43

4 hours ago, 22_deathgrip said:

Hi Doomenator. 

I reported the incompatibility with AltDHTP and 4.1.2 that does not occur in 2.4.0 in a bug threat. They have found and fixed it. 

Thanks. I guess I'm happy for users gzdoom 4.1.2. :)

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some help getting the NUS texture pack working with a wadsmooshed wad file. I think I've resolved some of the issues, and identified at least some of the outstanding problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Preliminaries

• Apply the NUS barrel fix from this comment.
  • Rename the NUS filter folders to doom.id, doom.id.doom1, and doom.id.doom2 to comply with the new namespace rules. (Since I do not care about compatibility with old versions of GZDoom or old mods, I have no reason not to do this.)

The biggest issue seems to be that GZDoom sees a wadsmooshed wad as Doom2, so it applies the NUS doom.id filter, and then the NUS doom.id.doom2 filter, and the NUS doom.id.doom1 filter isn't applied at all. The general fix for this is to move the NUS textures from doom.id.doom1 into doom.id. However, we now have problems with name collisions (which are resolved in favor of the Doom2 versions, even when they shouldn't be). Some of these I can fix (I think):

What I Can Fix (I Think)

• TITELPIC and M_DOOM -- Do nothing, or delete the Doom1 ones (which now reside in doom.id) to get the Doom2 NUS upscales; delete the Doom2 ones to get the Doom1 NUS upscales; or delete both to get the not-upscaled wadsmoosh versions.
    • (Also, if you want the Doom1 music, change wadsmoosh's res/mapinfo.txt from titlemusic = "$MUSIC_DM2TTL" to titlemusic = "$MUSIC_INTRO")
  • Rename Doom1's INTERPIC (which now resides in doom.id) to INTER_E4 to match what wadsmoosh already renamed it. (Also eliminates the collision with the Doom2 texture.)
  • Rename Doom2's SKY1, SKY2, and SKY3 to RSKY1, RSKY2, and RSKY3 to match what wadsmoosh already renamed them. (Also eliminates the collision with the Doom1 textures.)
  • It looks like the archville does not need fixing. Wadsmoosh renames the files with the forward slash in the names, and NUS renames them differently. But NUS also redefines the archville in a decorate file, so I think that should resolve things. (Not tested though.)
  • SW1STON2 and SW2STON2 -- According to this post, these textures aren't actually used in Doom2 (and they're dummies of another switch), so delete the Doom2 versions. (Not tested.)

What I CAN'T Fix Yet (Help Please!)

• STEP1, STEP2, and STEP3 -- As best I can tell, Doom2 redefines these textures and wadsmoosh isn't doing anything to rename them. So I think we're getting the wrong textures here in Doom1 campaigns with wadsmoosh with or without NUS. Or am I missing something here?
  • The Final Doom texture replacements -- I can confirm 22_deathgrip's complaints about enlarged skulls. I think the root of the problem is wadsmoosh commit 7203fc6 that uses ACS to do Final Doom texture replacements at runtime rather than in the wads. I'm guessing that GZDoom is applying the texture replacements from NUS after it does ACS and without regard for ACS having already replaced something. I guess the solution is to edit wadsmoosh to revert 7203fc6 and go back to renaming those textures in the wads. (Unlikely I'll find time to test this any time soon.)

On 6/7/2019 at 3:23 AM, Chthon said:

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some help getting the NUS texture pack working with a wadsmooshed wad file. I think I've resolved some of the issues, and identified at least some of the outstanding problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Preliminaries

• Apply the NUS barrel fix from this comment.
  • Rename the NUS filter folders to doom.id, doom.id.doom1, and doom.id.doom2 to comply with the new namespace rules. (Since I do not care about compatibility with old versions of GZDoom or old mods, I have no reason not to do this.)

The biggest issue seems to be that GZDoom sees a wadsmooshed wad as Doom2, so it applies the NUS doom.id filter, and then the NUS doom.id.doom2 filter, and the NUS doom.id.doom1 filter isn't applied at all. The general fix for this is to move the NUS textures from doom.id.doom1 into doom.id. However, we now have problems with name collisions (which are resolved in favor of the Doom2 versions, even when they shouldn't be). Some of these I can fix (I think):

What I Can Fix (I Think)

• TITELPIC and M_DOOM -- Do nothing, or delete the Doom1 ones (which now reside in doom.id) to get the Doom2 NUS upscales; delete the Doom2 ones to get the Doom1 NUS upscales; or delete both to get the not-upscaled wadsmoosh versions.
    • (Also, if you want the Doom1 music, change wadsmoosh's res/mapinfo.txt from titlemusic = "$MUSIC_DM2TTL" to titlemusic = "$MUSIC_INTRO")
  • Rename Doom1's INTERPIC (which now resides in doom.id) to INTER_E4 to match what wadsmoosh already renamed it. (Also eliminates the collision with the Doom2 texture.)
  • Rename Doom2's SKY1, SKY2, and SKY3 to RSKY1, RSKY2, and RSKY3 to match what wadsmoosh already renamed them. (Also eliminates the collision with the Doom1 textures.)
  • It looks like the archville does not need fixing. Wadsmoosh renames the files with the forward slash in the names, and NUS renames them differently. But NUS also redefines the archville in a decorate file, so I think that should resolve things. (Not tested though.)
  • SW1STON2 and SW2STON2 -- According to this post, these textures aren't actually used in Doom2 (and they're dummies of another switch), so delete the Doom2 versions. (Not tested.)

What I CAN'T Fix Yet (Help Please!)

• STEP1, STEP2, and STEP3 -- As best I can tell, Doom2 redefines these textures and wadsmoosh isn't doing anything to rename them. So I think we're getting the wrong textures here in Doom1 campaigns with wadsmoosh with or without NUS. Or am I missing something here?
  • The Final Doom texture replacements -- I can confirm 22_deathgrip's complaints about enlarged skulls. I think the root of the problem is wadsmoosh commit 7203fc6 that uses ACS to do Final Doom texture replacements at runtime rather than in the wads. I'm guessing that GZDoom is applying the texture replacements from NUS after it does ACS and without regard for ACS having already replaced something. I guess the solution is to edit wadsmoosh to revert 7203fc6 and go back to renaming those textures in the wads. (Unlikely I'll find time to test this any time soon.)

I don't plan on deleting any textures. Any "problematic" textures, I put into 

NeuralUpscale2x_v0.95.pk3\filter\doom.id.doom1.ultimate\

and

NeuralUpscale2x_v0.95.pk3\filter\doom.id.doom2.commercial\

So that they are available for other WADS but specifically not TNT and Plutonia.

As we speak I am actually going through and putting textures into different folders as texture errors occur, just to be thorough (and to test Doom 2 without the SSG, its fantastic!) 

That should solve the compatibility issues. 

As for skull enlargement, that's because with NU Doom its using a sprite instead of a texture for a door. Cleaver, but it causes a problem now. Quite possibly it could be fixed with some sort of zscript but I know nothing about that. I'm just doing what I can to make this amazing HD pack even better. HIDFAN has really given the community a gift with this. :)

Edited by 22_deathgrip

Maybe a TEXTURES lump could help with that sprite door.  It can resize sprites as well as textures.  I don't know the details of the problem, so I could be off-base.

took some files that either caused a problem from their mere existence and moved them into 

doom.id.doom2.commercial

and 

doom.id.doom1.ultimate

(files for which TNT and PLUT have no duplicates yet the mere existence of these files causes a problem)

or if TNT and PLUT did have duplicates, I copied the duplicates and put them into respective

doom.id.doom2.plutonia

and
doom.id.doom2.tnt

folder so that the backgroud/menus/titles etc would show up instead of the hi-res Doom 2 ones. 

https://megaupload.nz/613315van1/NeuralUpscale2x_v0.96_pk3

Edited by 22_deathgrip

hidfan, thank you for this awesome work!

I prefer to have a free of pixels version.

Therefore I have batch-processed all textures with xBRZ 6x and run them through PngOptimizer (saving 200 mb uncompressed).

MARBFACE.png.fd99eac795eae216c23310c97adcd657.png

This now includes all later patches:

• Removed some artifacts of a Doom texture and Doom 2 menu.
  • Recalculated and reset the offsets.
  • Fixed issue with Plutonia texture and Arch-vile

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=14u_qQ6OmPV4MpSVnTURxXjXPnDWNP55Q&export=download

890,1 mb compressed, sha256sum - 0fc04f001b2d1074d324f3f32938e7d33be966498feb2f8d4df0368c1f26c47f

Edited by tobis87

On 6/23/2019 at 7:04 AM, tobis87 said:

Patch to remove some artifacts of a Doom texture and Doom 2 menu.

Edit: Additional recalculated and reset the offsets.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J7bMd6pVHMicCkEysdM1fyZLenSPilb-

33 mb compressed, sha256sum - 7fed64ef3d440c7db30f028c84d6246e3dad1bbf8452f6800d0c3272cbfc2637

instead of running it through xbrz, why not just use the x6 or x8 AI enhanced versions?

i'm looking foward to trying this though :)

17 hours ago, 22_deathgrip said:

instead of running it through xbrz, why not just use the x6 or x8 AI enhanced versions?

i'm looking foward to trying this though :)

Because you would loose the work which hidfan already did:

Using AI NeuralNetworks, all textures and sprites have been upscaled 8x (with tons of AI artefacts), then downscaled to a final 2X to restore a pixel art look.
A lot of textures have been manually cleaned of AI artefacts and all transparency masks have to be manually enhanced (because AI don't know what to do with binary Black&White yet).

Two bugs which I noticed:

- One Texture is not displayed with the correct size in Plutonia Experiment

- One Sprite of the Arch-vile is not displayed with the correct size

1104052976_Bildschirmfotozu2019-06-2816-38-51.png.858bfe5031c971a3a97503e767048dbf.png279596017_Bildschirmfotozu2019-06-2816-45-00.png.522509adbcf12f003244c13123aa07cb.png

the plutonia sprites probably requires a .dec definition written for it

the archvile probably requires having its .dec modified, which should be in the mod somewhere

On 6/30/2019 at 9:10 AM, 22_deathgrip said:

the plutonia sprites probably requires a .dec definition written for it

the archvile probably requires having its .dec modified, which should be in the mod somewhere

The Plutonia texture is bosfa0.png and can be found under /filter/doom.id.doom2.plutonia/hires/monsters/EndBossBox

In the root folder the decorate.dec for the Arch-vile can be found:

ACTOR ArchvileNUS : Archvile Replaces Archvile 64  
{
  Scale 1
  Health 700
  Radius 20
  Height 56
  Mass 500
  Speed 15
  PainChance 10
  Monster
  MaxTargetRange 896
  +QUICKTORETALIATE
  +FLOORCLIP
  +NOTARGET
  SeeSound "vile/sight"
  PainSound "vile/pain"
  DeathSound "vile/death"
  ActiveSound "vile/active"
  MeleeSound "vile/stop"
  Obituary "$OB_VILE"
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    VILE AB 10 A_Look
    Loop
  See:
    VILE AABBCCDDEEFF 2 A_VileChase
    Loop
  Missile:
    VILE G 0 Bright A_VileStart
    VILE G 10 Bright A_FaceTarget
    VILE H 8 Bright A_VileTarget
    VILE IJKLMN 8 Bright A_FaceTarget
    VILE O 8 Bright A_VileAttack
    VILE P 20 Bright
    Goto See
  Heal:
    VILE [ 10 Bright
    VILL A 10 Bright
    VILE ] 10 Bright
    Goto See
  Pain:
    VILE Q 5    
    VILE Q 5 A_Pain
    Goto See
  Death:
    VILE Q 7
    VILE R 7 A_Scream
    VILE S 7 A_NoBlocking
    VILE TUVWXY 7
    VILE Z -1
    Stop
  }
}

Edited by tobis87

@Spooky Skeleton boi you can but it depends on the load out. Things will look different, out of place etc if not ran a certain way. Notice In the first half the monster's sizes vary. In the video I linked the first half is smooth doom them the neural upscale and then visa versa. 

On 7/6/2019 at 11:31 PM, Spooky Skeleton boi said:

Would it be possible to run this with Smooth Doom?

I've done it, just put smooth doom behind it in your load order

On 6/28/2019 at 5:07 PM, Rathori said:

Tbh, this giant Arch-Vile looks awesome in that screenshot.

A giant Archvile is actually a neat idea, suprised nobodys made one yet.

Fixed the issue with Plutonia texture and Arch-vile by including the original sized sprites (only 9) from hidfan.

@hidfan I don't know if you're still updating this or not, but if you'd be willing to do a few more frames, I put together a wad that includes some important missing frames that would greatly improve the quality of HD. It's mostly all the additional rotation frames for the player/trooper/sarge that were missing when they mirrored the angled frames. It also includes intermediate frames for weapons from Fraggle's vanilla smooth weapons that would make the HD weapons look much better.

If you've moved on, I get it. But if you'd consider making one last major improvement to HD Doom, it would be greatly appreciated if the frames in this wad file could be run through the same process as the other HD sprites.

Edit: After closer inspection... the only missing rotational frames are for the player/trooper/sarge... the rest are handled by better usage of sprite naming in the wad itself.

missing frames.zip

Edit 2: updated zip file by removing frames that don't need to be upscaled

Edited by Scuba Steve

I get it, since we're all just doing this as a hobby. I will say, I've been around for 20+ years and I've seen dozens of people attempt "HD" renditions of Doom whether this is trying to upscale images using smoothing algorithms like 2xsal or completely redrawing textures/sprites in a higher resolution, but every single one of them failed. Either the redrawn images failed to capture the original appearance or because they simply looked like blurry upscales, they were never any good. But yours avoided every pitfall of previous attempts. Your work is the singular example of upscaling Doom artwork that is successful; it's both beautiful and uncanny how much detail you were able to pull from low resolution, pixelated imagery.

If all we're left with is what you've accomplished thus far, we still have, essentially, a completed, HD remaster of Doom/Doom2. Thanks for everything you did.

You have my biggest gratitude as well. This is one of my favourite things in the community and the single reason I actually made an account last year. Thanks, man.