Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

3 hours ago, Get Phobo said:

Dude, that's literally no "modern port"... 

I did not say that Doom 4 is a modern port, it's just an visual example of a combination of the old architecture levels with new graphics weapons. Possible to port modern models on jDoom engine, for example, it'll look even better. In Doom 4 specifically did not improve the original levels of Doom2. But that's not the point. The problem is the limited perception of the new graphics and stereotypical thinking about the Doom1\2. )

14 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Can somebody explain the "stepfix.wad" included in the pk3? It contains the STEP1 and STEP2 flats... but what is the point of having them in a separate wad with their own decorate file?

The step bug  ( @Teder helped me on this, and a lot of other technical things):
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=805839#p805839

Thanks for getting the archvile "forbidden character" bugfix too!

Eww, that's a particularly nasty glitch that can't be fixed any other way apparently. I'm still waiting on @Graf Zahl to see if he can fix the scaled decal on the plasma rifle shot, and I think that will take care of most of the bugs exposed by this project.

I've been working with Phredreeke from the ZDoom forums on a big update for the project. Should be done soon.

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

I'm still waiting on @Graf Zahl to see if he can fix the scaled decal on the plasma rifle shot, and I think that will take care of most of the bugs exposed by this project.

I wouldn't bother with this and rewrite the code for such nonsense. There are no decals in the original Doom. And the gzDoom engine absolutely correctly shows what you set.

Take a look:

Spoiler

/***** Plasma Rifle Scorches ***********************************************/

decal PlasmaScorchLower1
{
    pic PLASMA1
    shade "00 00 00"
    x-scale 0.3
    y-scale 0.3
    randomflipx
    randomflipy
}

decal PlasmaScorch1
{
    pic PLSSA0
    add 1.0
    fullbright
    animator GoAway
    lowerdecal PlasmaScorchLower1
}

decal PlasmaScorchLower2
{
    pic PLASMA2
    shade "00 00 00"
    x-scale 0.3
    y-scale 0.3
    randomflipx
    randomflipy
}

decal PlasmaScorch2
{
    pic PLSSB0
    add 1.0
    fullbright
    animator GoAway
    lowerdecal PlasmaScorchLower2
}

decalgroup PlasmaScorchLower
{
    PlasmaScorchLower1    1
    PlasmaScorchLower2    1
}

decalgroup PlasmaScorch
{
    PlasmaScorch1    1
    PlasmaScorch2    1
}

I can write again, it's not a bug.

The neural wad is now compatible with Final Doom, that's why it's larger. Working with Phredreeke on the ZDoom forums, I spent several weeks cleaning up every texture and graphic from Plutonia and Evilution. The Doom Neural Upscale is now compatible with every commercial id release of Doom.

There are some seriously hideous textures in Final Doom, but I did my best to retain their original look and feel despite my desire to clean them up (looking at you, DOB textures!!)

Talking with hidfan, we decided now was a good time to call this a 1.0 release since so much had been done since he completed the bulk of the work last year. After countless playthrough and clean up, there's not much left I can find to fix. To summarize...

• Complete sprite upscale replacement
  • Every texture and gfx replacement in Doom & Doom 2
  • Includes every fix from the minor spritefix project
  • Added support for TNT and Plutonia
  • Added support for No Rest For the Living (upscaled level name gfx)

If there's anything left, it'll likely be really tiny details that have flown under the radar for whatever reason.

Like this one! On the results screen for Knee-Deep In The Dead, the left light on this structure uses the unscaled sprites. It's the only one that I could find throughout Ultimate Doom

20190913_21-55-57-490.gif.f228668d822e14f75931f3fa473a71d1.gif

Hey so I have weird timing on this since Neural Net was just updated, but I have been working on my own Doom upscalar that I just released on github if anybody is interested. There is a spritefixed and SmoothDoom compatible version, as well as one that works with FreeDoom. Works with all commercial IWADs. Available as 2x, 4x, and 8x.

I just used open source stuff (xbrzscale and waifu2x) rather than this projects approach, so it is to each his own which looks better.

10 hours ago, kcghost said:

Hey so I have weird timing on this since Neural Net was just updated, but I have been working on my own Doom upscalar that I just released on github if anybody is interested. There is a spritefixed and SmoothDoom compatible version, as well as one that works with FreeDoom. Works with all commercial IWADs. Available as 2x, 4x, and 8x.

I just used open source stuff (xbrzscale and waifu2x) rather than this projects approach, so it is to each his own which looks better.

This sounds very exciting, been dreaming of a highres sprite version of smooth doom. I must be doing something wrong, have tried changing the load order of this and smooth doom (newest version) but the sprites remain original low res. Any tips to get it working for me?

On 9/13/2019 at 10:41 PM, kcghost said:

With Smooth Doom being one of my favorite mods, I really appreciate your approach, although the 4x and 8x versions look quite blurry, but the 2x is quite good. From my own experimenting with xBRZ, ESRGAN and AI Gigapixel, I know that going beyond 2x with vanilla textures doesn't make much sense.

On a side note, a few textures seem to be missing in your pack, one example being SW1GSTON. <- That was my stupid mistake. Turns out there are no errors.

But the is an error with the shotgun guy's animation where he has a bright strip across his face--see attached picture.

Screenshot_Doom_20190914_101513.jpg

Edited by Get Phobo

1 hour ago, psxDoom said:

This sounds very exciting, been dreaming of a highres sprite version of smooth doom. I must be doing something wrong, have tried changing the load order of this and smooth doom (newest version) but the sprites remain original low res. Any tips to get it working for me?

You need to load Smooth Doom first, then this pack, so the 2x graphics will overwrite the Smooth Doom graphics while retaining all the smooth animations code.

For the original minor-sprite-fixing project, NightFright had created a compatible GZDoom brightmap.  However it added quite a bit of artistic flair (e.g. glowing eyes), so I created an edited version that simplified it down to basically just the GZDoom original, albeit with support for the new frames and rotations.

I've tested it with the Neural Upscale v1.0 and it seems to work well-ish.  DropBox download link here.

It does need some clean-up, and a handful of frames look like they don't quite line up to the upscaled version, but it's not far off.  I probably won't do any more work on it, but just putting it up here in case anyone sees a use for it.

Edited by Bauul

9 hours ago, Get Phobo said:

You need to load Smooth Doom first, then this pack, so the 2x graphics will overwrite the Smooth Doom graphics while retaining all the smooth animations code. 

Sorry but it don't do anything to the sprites when i do that. I don't run any other pk.3 or wad, i only load smoothdoom.pk3 and then doom_smoothdoom_hires.zip.

i also tried running smoothdoom.pk3 and then only doom_smoothdoom_hires_2x.pk3.

What am i doing wrong? I mean the neural upscale 0.95 replaces the sprites automatically when i just load that one.

Do you have to enable it from texture settings in gzdoom or something?

You need to load both smoothdoom.pk3, doom_smoothdoom_hires_2x.pk3 on top of that. Don't use the whole doom_smoothdoom_hires.zip, just any of the 2x,4x,8x pk3 files inside.

I'll do some testing and edit the main thread and make this more clear, sorry for the confusion.

I *think* if you select smoothdoom.pk3, then ctrl select doom_smoothdoom_hires_2x.pk3, then drag them on top of gzdoom, it should work. I'm not sure how dragging multiple files works. Personally I use ZDL to reduce confusion when handling multiple mods at once.

Maybe make sure you can get any of the sprfix pk3 mods working on their own first without SmoothDoom.

Oh, and also maybe try a newer GZDoom actually. I think they changed the filter names recently. The pack contents are filtered to work only on individual IWADs recognized by GZDoom - maybe older GZDooms don't work - I should look into that.

28 minutes ago, kcghost said:

Oh, and also maybe try a newer GZDoom actually. I think they changed the filter names recently. The pack contents are filtered to work only on individual IWADs recognized by GZDoom - maybe older GZDooms don't work - I should look into that. 

Thank you very much for a quick answer, yes the problem was indeed that it does not work with my pervious version of gzdoom.

I hate updating and messing with perfect settings when everything works, ty, smooth sprites looks nice ingame :)

I took a closer look at the pk3 content and I wonder why the original sprite dimensions and offsets are stored in SPRITES/ . Aren't there easier ways of doing that like using PNG chunks "grAb" to store image offsets inside the png itself or simply to use DECORATE to supply dimentions and offset for every sprite? @Scuba Steve could you elaborate on why you choose that solution? Did the SPRITE/ solution worked OOTB for gZDoom or did the developer make special modifications for that?

As far as I understand it... the Neural project uses the HIRES folders to simply scale the pngs in the folder to fit the original sprites. ZDoom's automated HIRES process simply tells the engine...

• Look for a PNG to replace a sprite
  • Look for the original sprite dimensions
  • Take those dimensions and scale the PNG to the same size
  • Use the offsets from the original sprite to align the PNG

The SPRITES folder wasn't needed when the Neural project was simply looking at the doom2.wad file and overriding the original sprites. HOWEVER because the project used entirely new sprite dimensions and alignments from the Minor Sprite Fix project, the new sprites had to be added to the pk3 so ZDoom would look for the new sprites instead of using the old ones. And because ZDoom doesn't care what the base sprites LOOK like, only their dimensions and alignments, I could convert every sprite into a blank image so I wouldn't be adding hundreds of copyrighted sprites into the pk3.

I COULD have written a decorate file to scale them, but the sheer magnitude of work to properly align every PNG and then recreate all 200 some odd items/monsters/objects would have been a massive undertaking. Additionally, if Eternity or other engines implement a process similar to HIRES, this project will immediately work whereas a decorate file will only work in ZDoom.

@Scuba Steve Thank you for explaining. This makes sense since writing decorate for all sprites sure is painful - however easy to read. Since the sprite metadata header is 40 bytes I thought the empty sprite files would hole a litte additional meta info than just dimensions and offet since they are larger but aparently they don't.

Anyway great and amazing looking work! :)

I haven't checked updates in Neural Upscale 2x thread for a couple month, it's really nice to see what updates are made.

This whole time I've been working on my mod - Faithful Doom. Mod which is based on Neural Upscale 2x hd sprites, but I added more hd sprite frames using Waifu2x and fixed in Photoshop. Also mod includes some effects, like tracers for bullets, shell casings and other.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/103824/

Hope to see even more updates on Neural Upscale 2x soon :)

On 9/14/2019 at 8:27 PM, kcghost said:

You need to load both smoothdoom.pk3, doom_smoothdoom_hires_2x.pk3 on top of that. Don't use the whole doom_smoothdoom_hires.zip, just any of the 2x,4x,8x pk3 files inside.

Smooth Doom got an update!

In Wolfenstein 3D TC, I converted the original file to TOPAZ GIGIAPIXEL, but when I run GZDOOM due to the increase in the image size, the texture size increases.
What program should I write to reduce this to the same size as the original?
If you have any help, please reply.
You can also edit the file and upload it.

Source file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/63icib30ravwq55/Wolf3D_Resources.pk3?dl=0

Conversion file (TOPAZ GIGAPIXEL AI)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvfd61aj2e9tr63/wofl3dtextures.zip?dl=0

Edited by sweety80

On 9/14/2019 at 11:57 AM, psxDoom said:

I hate updating and messing with perfect settings when everything works

Just FYI you don't have to lose your settings when updating GZDoom.  Just copy the new GZDoom files into your existing GZDoom folder and it won't overwrite your personal .ini file.

Sorry for the burden, but if you convert to ESRGAN without working with NVIDIA tool, the image quality will look better.

Edited by sweety80

On 10/3/2019 at 9:05 PM, sweety80 said:

In Wolfenstein 3D TC, I converted the original file to TOPAZ GIGIAPIXEL

I checked up your uploaded assets, but frankly Gigapixel is not even remotely suited to process sprite work. Here's a comparison:

image.png.cc3f031458daa3054ccf17b156a1b31f.pngimage.png.9368291d81aa1a528d4901f48fde3138.pngimage.png.74ea66878f93651d1519593c3a3627e9.png

Your Gigapixel result to the left, centre is ESRGAN two-pass (meaning I scaled up a 4x upscaled image to get 6x the original size) with an interpolation of Fatality and Rebout models at alpha = 0.5, and to the right is xBRZ. None of the look particularly good TBH but xBRZ is the closest to the original art while Gigapixel introduces a lot of noise and distortion while not even being able to properly process the sprite edges.

Whenever I drag the neural upscale 1.0 and smooth weapons onto Gzdoom the weapons are either invisible or they blink in and out.  Any idea what could be the issue?  I am running the 423 version of Gzdoom.  

*edit* Figured it out.  Had an older version of smooth weapons.  

I was wondering if anyone was going to make a Doomsday Engine version of this pack like Heretic Neural Upscale pack here

has.

I've been trying to do it myself, but all I go is crosseyed. The packs are so different with no easy this goes there, and this goes over yonder that I gave up on it.