Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

On 8/17/2019 at 11:03 PM, angelgraves13 said:

I can't seem to get this pk3 to work with any DOOM game on the Doomsday Engine. Heretic and Hexen upscales work fine however.

Yes.

I tryed with NeuralUpscale2x_v0.95_Minor.pk3 and NeuralUpscale2x_v0.95.pk3 and not work on Doomsday or gzdoom.

Neural for Heretic and Hexen work fine.

For Doom i recommend using other graphic mods.

Because the project wasn't formatted for Doomsday's high resolution format? You would likely need to reorganize the file structure to work properly with Doomsday...I have no idea how that engine handles upscaling.

If you're not getting it to work with gzdoom, you're doing something wrong; it's literally as simple as dragging the file onto the latest gzdoom exe. Likely errors are caused by loaders, front end, autoloaded wads, or your settings.

22 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

If you're not getting it to work with gzdoom, you're doing something wrong; it's literally as simple as dragging the file onto the latest gzdoom exe. Likely errors are caused by loaders, front end, autoloaded wads, or your settings.

GZdoom have zero extra setting for Doom

This is loading log GZDOOM

gzdoom.pk3 608 lumps

game_support.pk3 2520 lumps

Doom.wad 2306 lumps (Ultimate Doom from GOG, I have also tried DOOM 2 from GOG)

lights.pk3 7 lumps
brightmaps.pk3 499 lumps
NeuralUpscale2x_v0.95_Minor.pk3 4079 lumps
NeuralUpscale2x_v0.95_Minor.pk3:stepfix.wad 5 lumps

Identical for NeuralUpscale2x_v0.95.pk3

21 minutes ago, AmigOS said:

GZdoom have zero extra setting for Doom

This is loading log GZDOOM

Ok, problem solved !

I make a grab with and without Neural mods and i find  a minimal differences

There are not those noticeable improvements on the Neural textures on Hexen ad heretic

These are clearly distinguishable

On lundi 12 août 2019 at 4:16 AM, Scuba Steve said:

Well what the fuck.

Jesus Christ, id! Rather than remove switch textures, they just pasted the same artwork over FIVE different textures!?! What a fucking duct tape job.

Yeah because the engine would have aborted with an error during loading if the switches were missing. But they didn't use them in Doom II, so they replaced them with dummy copies of SWxBROWN.

The really annoying part is that all of the patches that are needed for these switches are actually present in Doom II, so they could have kept the switches intact without adding any additional data.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Switch

Not unless I can gain access to the Nvidia upscaling tech. My 30 day trial for the gigapixel upscaler runs out soon and I'll have to pay $100 to renew it.

Additionally, redoing Doom 64 would be a major undertaking that I'm not willing to do. If I can get access to the ai tech, I would consider doing the final Doom textures, but that's all the more work I would be willing to do.

very nice. can you make this work with "PerK's Smoother Weapon Animations Enhanced"? i cant play doom anymore withotu the smooth weapon animations

I've been casually running through Doom 2 and on map32 the Commander Keens are completely invisible. You can still kill them but everything related to the sprite seems to be missing. 

EF9596E4F17808FA751C69D22CDBCF5024800C78

3 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

I'd rather see it fixed before adding more code to the wad.

This will not affect previous versions gzdoom or other ports. Besides, these things have nothing to do with each other. Technically, this bug create the mod itself. I think gzdoom can't scale decals as sprites. If I remember right this problem has been for years. And I wouldn't call it "adding code", because gzdoom is already using decaldef. However nevermind.

4 hours ago, Doomenator said:

I think gzdoom can't scale decals as sprites.

I think so, but this is more of a question for @Graf Zahl than me. If it has to be fixed with decal definitions, that's fine, but I figured this might be something that needed repairs.

@Spectre01 Downloading the newest upload will also fix the Status Bar numbers; I cleaned them up with proper dark outlines so the ZDoom alternate HUD will recolour them properly.

@Scuba Steve 
My AI Gigapixel trial went down aswell as the project was quite long, and I had to create new email adresses in order to get additional 30 days; it worked pretty well.
Now that Nvidia has shut down the super resolution site, we're a bit screwed on that part, the new NGX one is still not running.

I am not delighted by AI Gigapixel's performance. It works far worse than, e.g., ESRGAN, especially for straight lines which AI GP never gets right. (Too bad ESRGAN doesn't support transparency.)

They also have a horrendously bad customer support--average reaction time was six days in my case--and they didn't even manage to get a serious bug I had reported for the old 3.x out of the new 4.0 version several weeks later.

Well, I still have an unused $20 store credit with Topaz for my bug reporting, so if you like I can DM it to you. It's from six months ago, though, so I don't know if it's still valid, but I suppose it should.

20 minutes ago, DarkShotX45 said:

Why does the textures stay the same in Zandronum 3.0? When I used GZDoom 1.9, it gets the new textures.

You would need to reorganize the file structure to work properly with Zandronum... )

Can somebody explain the "stepfix.wad" included in the pk3? It contains the STEP1 and STEP2 flats... but what is the point of having them in a separate wad with their own decorate file?

They already can... but they are simply just not viable. One, there's only so much fake data the upscaling tech can generate before it looks silly, and two, Doom's architecture is so simple that anything beyond 2x simply looks fake and exposes Doom's humble low resolution origins. As for smoother animations, you could use SmoothDoom as a base, but you'd have to resample every extra sprite frame, reassemble them in Photoshop, create the alpha mask, clean them up, and insert them into the wad properly. No thanks.

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

Doom's architecture is so simple that anything beyond 2x simply looks fake and exposes Doom's humble low resolution origins. 

Doom architecture in modern ports already has nothing to do with low resolution origins. Levels can be complicated, textures can be altered, sprites can be replaced with 3D models etc. Even the combination of old levels and ultra modern graphics looks quite playable.

Spoiler

Dude, that's literally no "modern port" but the old Hangar map imported into Doom 4, which is a completely different engine.

One that can run on multiple threads instead of just one, which is one of the biggest problems with using complex stuff in Doom ports.