Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

@Sgt Nate V and @Teder: To fix this I could identify the frames used in the end scene and copy them back in the Hires folder (I hope it's not all frames). Or maybe just the \ frames are needed in the sprite folder and the others could still be in Hires. I'll test that.
@DooM_RO : This kind of "artistic" fix will come later, first all the real bugs (blood tiling, inconstistency in animations (some switches change the wall as well ;P).
But any bugreport in this thread is good :).

@KVELLER : it's always nice to hear that people are happy, that's why it's done (well that's why I do it), so I don't think it's going to be boring soon ^_^.
thanks for the report.

3 hours ago, hidfan said:

To fix this I could identify the frames used in the end scene and copy them back in the Hires folder (I hope it's not all frames). Or maybe just the \ frames are needed in the sprite folder and the others could still be in Hires. I'll test that.

Oh, it IS all the frames.

@Sgt Nate V : tested, it didn't work.
It's front views of walk/shoot/die that are used in the end monster galley.

Damn, Icon of sin in the background isn't upscaled, and some numbers in the end level stats screen aren't either :(

All the PSD sources are available here. 1.41 Go
If you want to do your own stuff, if you want to help fix some datas for this project, etc...
Do whatever you want with these :)

5 hours ago, hidfan said:

@Sgt Nate V : tested, it didn't work.
It's front views of walk/shoot/die that are used in the end monster galley.

Damn, Icon of sin in the background isn't upscaled, and some numbers in the end level stats screen aren't either :(

Who cares? :)

EDIT: Oh, I think I found a solution. Need a bit of time.

EDIT2: solution below.

Edited by Teder

Ok, here is a solution for archvile endpic.

First I had to reorganize directories, so:

Download this:

1. Open NeuralUpscale2XForDoom2_v0.9.pk3 - delete decorate.dec, next go to SPRITES directory and delete ARCHVILE directory.

2. Open archvile fix.zip (yes it is made by slade so it has proper extension). Copy decorate.dec to NeuralUpscale2XForDoom2_v0.9.pk3. Copy ARCHVILE directory from SPRITES directory (in archvile fix.zip) to SPRITES directory in NeuralUpscale2XForDoom2_v0.9.pk3. Now copy ARCHVILE directory from HIRES directory (in archvile fix.zip) to HIRES/MONSTERS DOOM2/ directory in NeuralUpscale2XForDoom2_v0.9.pk3.

That's all.

EDIT: I hope I didn't make new bugs :/

archvile fix .zip

Edited by Honey16

Oh there is a little funny thing in original DOOM 2 (I didn't change it in positioning for @hidfan and I leave it as original). Resurrection sprites, HEAL state, has 3 almost same frames sets but with some colors adjust, but each sets has different position :)

Watch for example 8th frame:

VILE[8 Offsets: 36 73

VILE/8 Offsets: 32 73

VILE]8 Offsets: 32 71 

And most funny is that second and third set don't move on xy, but the first moves.

Edited by Teder

FamilyPoster.jpg.c211e7fdb7a1ffba456be4e4c7125a47.jpg

Modified 1st post with download links (still 0.9) and and a funny famlily poster :)
@Honey16I'll test the new archvile fix tonight, thanks !

Love that poster! :)

EDIT: wow, now I see - the mirror is in old resolution, and up are new upscaled! Very nice idea!

EDIT2: RTX ON :)

On 11/14/2018 at 6:16 AM, hidfan said:

The icon of sin in the credits sequence is actually a separate graphic called "BOSSBACK", you just have to replace that with the upscaled version.

Great poster!

EDIT: I've been working on retouching the zombieman faces, since changes to the face seem to yield the most noticeable results. Not done yet, but pretty happy with the results! Kind of looks like Ranger.

yRfoFnF.gif

Edited by Gifty

Sorry to double-post, the face retouching is going really well! It looks really neat in-game. Quick comparison between the original and cleaned-up version of Hidfan's upscale:

ZvNDMim.png

Edited by Gifty

I love all your edits. Looks really great and just as if Adrian Carmack would have done it. Does that mean... you are on board with the pixel cleanup? *giddywithexcitement*

Yep! Excited to do the by-hand cleanup process on lots of other stuff. C: It's interesting once you start detailing the faces, how much they resemble the Mac Wolfenstein sprites. I'm sure those guys must have used the same process.

@gifty

I like it but I always thought the darker pixels around his mouth were mutton chops and a goatee.

I definitely saw it as a goatee too (and a soul patch!), I think the mouth area could be defined a little better -- I'd like to find a way to make the goatee visually clearer without adding to much of my own spin, or without extrapolating too far. I'm trying to add as much clarity and detail as possible without feeling like it's "Gifty's interpretation", haha.

Edited by Gifty

Heh, @Gifty that's nice :)

I have no access to my computer, so I'm having some fun on my phone. I did some shotgun guy faces following your idea, and i slipped and did almost full side view lol.

I won't do all frames, I know, but that's fun. Reminds me my late 90's :)

artflow_201811180027.png

Don't know if this might help, but here's a hand-drawn 2x upscale of one of the Cyberdemon sprites I made a while ago (It's just the one frame I did as a test, this stuff takes ages!) Feel free to use it to help with pixel-cleanup or face detail if you like:

1528430360_cyberdemonupscale.png.7ed94f25d9af08fd1279ea3f139c7d7e.png

That is not bad at all! I like it. Now please, do the other 3782584035 frames and textures, kthx!

39 minutes ago, elend said:

That is not bad at all! I like it. Now please, do the other 3782584035 frames and textures, kthx!

Haha, ok, I'll check back in with a progress report in a couple of years ;)

Looking excellent guys! I do agree that the zombieman's face needs some work to get the feel back to the original, in testing this it was one of the only things that stood out as looking overtly different to the original. @Gifty That chaingunner touch-up looks perfect.

One quick question: do the new sprites here have their offsets fixed (as found in the minor sprite fixing project), or are they matched to the IWADs exactly?

57 minutes ago, Teder said:

@Saad356 just drag and drop pk3 to gzdoom.exe

Can it be used with other mods (I.E Beautiful doom,Brutal doom,smooth doom)

15 minutes ago, Saad356 said:

Can it be used with other mods (I.E Beautiful doom,Brutal doom,smooth doom)

I guess you could, but I wouldn't recommend it. Those mods have their own frames, so you'll just end up with a mess of high and low res sprites cobbled together.

If the mod you want to use doesn't replace enemies or weapons (or you don't care about the visual inconsistencies) then go ahead. Load order shouldn't matter much.

Btw you can make a version that uses lump filtering so you can use the same file in Doom and Doom 2. Separate versions are not needed and you also save file size like that since identical assets don't need to be included twice.

On 11/18/2018 at 10:48 PM, NightFright said:

Btw you can make a version that uses lump filtering so you can use the same file in Doom and Doom 2. Separate versions are not needed and you also save file size like that since identical assets don't need to be included twice.

@NightFright That sounds cool.
I don't know how to do that, do you know where I can find informations about this technique ?

Edited by hidfan

0.91 available (link in first post)

-BOSSBACK
-missing numbers and characters added
-fixed ArchVile  (in end Showroom and resurrect offset) - thanks @Honey16
-cleaned pinky masks (front are still ugly/unstable)

Thanks @Manuel-K I'll try lump filtering later (I guess I have to name folders doom.doom1 , doom.doom2, etc, and put everything in it)