Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

Regarding lump filtering, you would basically need three directories:

1) filter\doom - For any assets that are shared by Doom and Doom 2

2) filter\doom.doom1 - For any assets that are only meant for Doom (probably only needed for some textures that are different in Doom 2)

3) filter\doom.doom2 - For any assets that are only meant for Doom 2

Version 0.93 available

-Improved Hell Baron and HellKnight masks

-refined PainElemental mask
-Fixed head moving when shotgun guy was shooting
-Lump filtering (thanks @NightFright)

Edited by hidfan : removed obsolete link

Probably the best shot at an HD sprite pack I've seen. (I should know, I tried one) Some of the results are scarily close to what I imagine the real model would look like had they taken the pictures at a higher quality.

And just think, it's only going to get better. In a year or two the algorithms will have improved so much we'll have to release a new HD pack.

I'll bet by that point 4x would be possible and end up looking good as well, assuming that's why this is only at 2x the original size.

Well, they have to tile properly. All the variations ... can it do that?

I think it can actually. After all it‘s a tool to create textures for games. I would also be interested in variations of that marble or brick pattern for example.

Regarding a 4x upscale; at one point you lose that pixelart look because it‘s just too highres. It could still look interesting, no doubt. But I love pixels.

9 minutes ago, elend said:

Regarding a 4x upscale; at one point you lose that pixelart look because it‘s just too highres. It could still look interesting, no doubt. But I love pixels.

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Visible pixels is still an important part of the Doom sprite look, we wouldn't want to lose that.  2x seems a nice compromise.

In addition to the loss of the pixel art look a 4x upscale would look weird without additional animation frames. IMO 2x is the upper limit for the original animations and level geometry.

1 hour ago, Manuel-K said:

In addition to the loss of the pixel art look a 4x upscale would look weird without additional animation frames. IMO 2x is the upper limit for the original animations and level geometry.

Took the words out of my mouth

Version 0.94 available. Link in first post.

-Refined pinky mask, following the rules I used for the baron and knight : remove pixels that seem unnapropriate : dark or bright contour, flat empty area that belong to the background, often with a slightly different colour.

I thought it worked very well on nobles, even if I was anxious because they became thinner.

I stabilized biting frames, added eyes collors that were missing from some frames 3/4 rear most of the time).

I modified the last dying frame, to be less   'High' or 'floating' in the air. Side bonus effect : more weight in this animation when the body touches thé ground.

-Fixed a frame in one doom2 lamp

You update them quicker than I can check them out ok my laptop. Very well done, great work. This is one of my favourite mods ever! 

On 11/26/2018 at 9:15 PM, Death Egg said:

I'll bet by that point 4x would be possible and end up looking good as well, assuming that's why this is only at 2x the original size.

There's a point at which the pixelation is no longer present and the game's aesthetic loses its charm. I think 2x is probably enough. 4x would be better for say, adding a coat of HD paint to Quake or Unreal, assuming the models' polygon counts are doubled or quadrupled. 

Spoiler

8zMJd9G.png.e98db83d8f90ee342052984acaf6a26e.pngEdIbaI8.png.cb19168ab149ca31905a941d28522938.pngsOUrY5L.png.68a77cce73b7b46f331170e9f04c01c4.png

Its really is scary how good the up scaling is considering how close it is to my hand smoothed variants.

What is amazing is that fact that the data needed to upscale "accurately" simply is not there. The upscale process is a guess at best, because the data describing what's inbetween the pixels is simply non-existent. So, yes, the results are amazing!

The weapon sprites need some cleanup. Because they occasionally have back to back sprites with minor alterations, it looks really jarring when some of the randomness from the upscaling process causes jittering around the outside of the sprite. This is most obvious in the chainsaw attack frames, but can be seen in the BFG a bit and the super shotgun muzzle flash. The upscaling also really highlights the incorrect rocket launcher muzzle flash frame. Maybe pulling a few of the sprites from the Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fix project would fix this problem. The large fonts could use a little edge cleanup and small animated items like the armor bonus could use a little close attention to make the animations less jarring, but overall it's unbelievable.

Nitpicks aside, this is one of the most impressive undertakings I have ever seen for Doom. I simply can't wrap my head around how the process is able to "recover" so much information from the low resolution sprites. This project is the closest thing we will ever get to a legitimate "Doom Remaster." I played for a while and everything felt like I was playing classic Doom, but when I would take a moment to get close to sprites or textures, it was incredible to realize there was twice the amount of visual data... unlike previous upscales that completely changed the textures or made them simply blurry. Great work!

Edit: Thinking about it... this project, coupled with the minor sprite fix and some of the weapon animations from smooth doom, would be one hell of a remaster.

Also, the upscaled plasma projectile wreaks havok on GZDoom's wall decal.

The end skull switch on map30 moves to the right when you press it.

Edited by Scuba Steve

version 0.95 available. link in first post

-Added EndBossBox (mask cleaned too)
-cleaned mask for Mastermind's death and front attack frames (others will come later)
-stabilized switches frames and cleaned some textures associated with them (BROWN96, BROWNGRN,  SLADWALL, ROCK01)
-stabilized double shotgun 
-stabilized chainsaw
-stabilized BFG
-stabilized RocketLauncher (expected the first muzzleflash frame, I still need to understand how to do it)
-cleaned transparent textures (BRNBIG)
-redone some VINES 
-improved GRASS1 tiling (still not perfect) 
-redone the small skull and keys HUD icons using the pickup sprites

help needed Flaming barrel is giant but is not dancing, so the decorate is maybe no longer working ? 

Congrats on the latest release, and great work on the Cacoward images too this year! At this point you're basically a sprite wizard.

this looks neat, but i would rather use AI to create new SIDES for all sprites than increase resolution, if that even possible yet. i like the original pixelated look and how it makes the game keep all of its detail even when playing in 320x240 resolution

Edited by GraveUypo

My God! This looks amazing! I just found this and I am so happy. Very good work. Tbh I think this is cooler than a 3D remake. Still feels and looks like real DOOM! THANK YOU!

Heh yes, more happy doom lovers incoming, it's pretty cool ! thanks @Linguica for the mention in the Cacowards :)
I'm glad that the project can get famous, I don't really care about my own fame :)

@elend : thanks ^_^
I like IT  alot : anonymous, mysterious, machine, monster.

Hey @hidfan, It would be wonderful if you could split this out into two or three files. One for the enemies, and one for the environments, and maybe a third for the interface stuff. That way we could take advantage of the monsters in wads with other custom textures, or take advantage of the high res environments when using a another mod with custom monsters.