Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

No, it's not Brewtöl enough.

Brutal Doom features a lot of new, modified, or replaced sprites. Different weapons, revamped enemies with new animations, etc. This project is only about the original sprites and animations, so it'd be visually inconsistent if used alongside BD or a similar mod.

Would be interesting to see Smooth incorporated maybe on a modular level rather than it being packaged with the core mod. If the author has this set up on a 'batch mode' for processing I could see it being done relatively effectively. But everyone else has already voiced their desire for this so just add me to the pile.

It's almost jarring to see the sudden jump in resolution, but I kinda dig it for GZDoom's modern lighting and other fun things that I've yet to really set up.

Excellent dedication to the project, though. Had to login to say it. What cool stuff people are doing with Doom's original resources so many years later using modern tech.

Thanks @Linguica for the howto banner ^_^
I'll do a proper pk3 file for next version. I understand the .zip is not easy to understand for new comers, I forgot to rename it a few versions ago.

When things will be closer to a stable state I'll propose separate versions weapons, monsters, textures, hud, menus.

Gotta wonder if that version number is on purpose :-)

v0.95 -> Year 1995? Release of Ultimate Doom? lol... maybe I'm reading too much into it.

1 hour ago, voidpointer said:

Gotta wonder if that version number is on purpose :-)

v0.95 -> Year 1995? Release of Ultimate Doom? lol... maybe I'm reading too much into it.

ur reading too much. Thats just the current version number (there were older versions too)

Man this looks AWESOME, is it finished yet? I cannot wait to play the games again with this!

7 minutes ago, D88M said:

Man this looks AWESOME, is it finished yet? I cannot wait to play the games again with this!

Load the zip with GZDoom, my dude!

How is this supposed to work? I put all the stuff from the .rar into the gzdoom folder and launched Doom but it looks as it always does.

There's no .rar, just a .zip. Don't extract anything. Just load the zip in GZDoom directly by dragging-and-dropping the zip on gzdoom.exe.

Here's a thought... Since this project requires 2 neural network upscalers and then a lot of cleaning up and resizing after that. How about once all of the sprites are done, and this mod hits 1.0 Then using the original sprites and the cleaned up set as a new source of training data for one of the neural networks. Maybe then all the smooth doom sprites could be upscaled automagically with one pass instead of having to use 2 networks and all the rescaling steps afterwards?

6 minutes ago, MrDowntempo said:

Here's a thought... Since this project requires 2 neural network upscalers and then a lot of cleaning up and resizing after that. How about once all of the sprites are done, and this mod hits 1.0 Then using the original sprites and the cleaned up set as a new source of training data for one of the neural networks. Maybe then all the smooth doom sprites could be upscaled automagically with one pass instead of having to use 2 networks and all the rescaling steps afterwards?

It'd be cool if it worked, but it seems pretty far-fetched.

Sounds great in theory, but I don't think you can provide the Nvidia Upscaler with a data set to learn from. Other than that it might really improve the results.

Other than that I think doing the whole "Smooth Doom Upscale" thing is no problem. The upscaler does like 90 % of the work, whereas the manual retouching is around 10 %. Yes, those 10 % take up 99 % of the time, though. But what's a year or two in the world of Doom mapping?!

On 12/18/2018 at 4:40 PM, pepodmc said:

Is this compatible with Brutal Doom?

It should be pointed out, that if you load these resources before you load brutal doom, while brutal doom will override all of the enemy sprites and weapons, you will get the benefit of the improved resolutions of the wall and environment textures.

So yeah, found out about it from a random article. Amazing stuff to be aure. All I gotta say is I hope it was made based on the "minor sprite fixing project", or at least that it incorporates similar changes to the upscaled textures (like no hell knight hoof color changing etc). 

And yeah, it would be amazing to have this collaborating with something like Smooth Doom one day. I can already say it's going to be a painful compromise to have one, but not the other :p

@Toph Bei Fong - it's planned for the next version according to Hidfan.

On 12/19/2018 at 1:15 AM, hidfan said:

I'll do a proper pk3 file for next version. I understand the .zip is not easy to understand for new comers, I forgot to rename it a few versions ago.

That said, you should be able to just rename the downloaded file from a .zip to .pk3; because that's all a pk3 is - a zip.

30 minutes ago, Teder said:

I remember time when people discovered that QUAKE 3 file - pk3 is a zip file.

Yeah, I remember screwing around with the bot AI files and also some models. Made a custom skin of Uriel/Zael with him being dark gray and his hood crimson red. Good times, lol

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

@Toph Bei Fong - it's planned for the next version according to Hidfan.

That said, you should be able to just rename the downloaded file from a .zip to .pk3; because that's all a pk3 is - a zip.

well when I rename it, it doesn't change to a pk3 file. 

Is seriously no one reading the RED message by Linguica at the top of the thread? It's red, which means it's important! :P

PLEASE STOP ASKING FOR BRUTAL COMPATIBILITY. This will never happen (and most mod authors get annoyed/get miffed/get irked/etc when you ask this). It's a lot of work to change stuff for a compatibility patch for a mod of such size.

If you want another way to run the file without the whole drag and drop, add the ZIP file (or PK3, prefably) via ZDL.

2 minutes ago, Glaice said:

If you want another way to run the file without the whole drag and drop, add the ZIP file (or PK3, prefably) via ZDL.

ZDL is an amazing tool.  I won't play Doom without it.