Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

Hmm, while they really do look good, I am kind of missing the "pixel art" vibe from these. Still, much better than most oily-smeary upscales out there. Very nice work @grandgreed !

1 hour ago, elend said:

Hmm, while they really do look good, I am kind of missing the "pixel art" vibe from these.

Well, they're 4x instead of hidfan's 2x, so that might be it.

I think hidfan was right to stick to 2x. Any larger just seems to highlight how simple the architecture is in Doom's maps and the game loses its charm.

@Scuba Steve You can always use hires textures with gzdoom downscale what looks like no sense, but looks good.

Edited by Teder

Yeah, these screenshots make it clear that rendering at 4x and reducing to 2x achieves the best results. The neural net is able to pull out an astonishingly high amount of detail from the small sprites, but it can't work miracles... there's just not a lot of data to draw from and anything higher than 2x just looks awkward in Doom's ancient engine.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, Teder said:

Former humans are ugly, guns and most of walls either. 

Don't use high scale for small textures. I tested many output resolutions and reveal some tricks.

Textures and sprites with many var points (more detailed) can be scalled more. More plain textures can be some upscalled, otherwise will have paint effect. Some output res can bring bad effect. Upscaled texture from 128 to 320 can bring bad details than to 384/512. All sprites have black outlines, it needs to cut.

Here input res by px. It's near. Output px should have standard values like 64/128/256/512/1024. In some cases it can be 48/96/384px, other mid res can bring bad results.

~16 > 32/48 (sometimes 64px is good)

~32 > 96/128
~64 > 128/256 (192px sometimes var results)

~128 > 256/512

Edited by grandgreed

16 hours ago, dpkonofa said:

@grandgreedIs there a separate thread for the Heretic/Hexen upscales?  That looks awesome.

No. But I will create soon with update pack of textures and sprites.

upd
New topic is here:

Hexen Neural Upscale

Edited by grandgreed

Screenshot_Doom_20190101_223008.png.d22462d84891496ff3d35f74e113d5c0.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190101_221844.png.1cd1918c02c11038981ce3a296abfb98.png

Hires grass textures have a little banding issue and I encountered this bizarre white outline on the grate texture.

Edit: And maybe this is just a personal preference... but I don't like the idea of upscaling the Wolf Sprites/Textures... I think the charm of that level is the low fidelity Wolfenstein throwback.

Edited by Scuba Steve

Hi guys,

i have found this topic after i have decided to play Doom again after a long time. I tried this upscale with GZDoom and asked myself if there is any hint for setting up GZDoom for a "proper" look and feel? Do you have any sugestions for me setting GZDoom graphics up and enjoying this work here in the way it is meant to be?

Thank you and kindly regards!

Edited by TR2N

1 hour ago, TR2N said:

any hint for setting up GZDoom for a "proper" look and feel?

What do you define as "proper"? Some people will want that, while others will on the contrary want to get the increased color depth and smoothness of the OpenGL renderer. Personally I'm mostly happy with the default settings except for changing texture filter mode to "none (linear mipmap)".

4 hours ago, TR2N said:

Hi guys,

i have found this topic after i have decided to play Doom again after a long time. I tried this upscale with GZDoom and asked myself if there is any hint for setting up GZDoom for a "proper" look and feel? Do you have any sugestions for me setting GZDoom graphics up and enjoying this work here in the way it is meant to be?

Thank you and kindly regards!

There are a lot of options for GZDoom.  Which you like to play with kind of depends on what you want Doom to look like.  The best thing to do is have a play with the settings in Display Options and kind of see what you like the look of.  Most should make sense what they do.

There are a couple which aren't entirely self-explanatory though.  "Set Video Mode" is likely best set to "OpenGL-Accelerated" (otherwise known as "Hardware mode") to utilize all the graphical features GZDoom offers.  In OpenGL options, the "Sector Light Mode" is best changed to something other than "Standard".  "Vanilla" is the closest to 'proper original Doom', although I personally like "Doom" best.  "Adjust Sprite Clipping" (which prevents sprites disappearing into the ground) should be set to "Smarter".  "Sprite Billboard" is whether sprites rotate to face the camera if you're above or below them.  I personally like "X/Y Axis" but you may prefer otherwise.  Finally in Texture Options, most people set "Texture Filter Mode" to "None" for the proper classic Doom look.  

Generally though everyone has a slightly different taste in what looks right for them, so there's no real "the way it's meant to be".  Have a play and see what you like the look of!

On 12/24/2018 at 12:08 AM, Teder said:

@hidfan fix for burning barrel:

replace first line in decorate_BurningBarrel.dec code with this new one:

ACTOR BurningBarrelNUS : BurningBarrel replaces BurningBarrel

so, the full decorate should looks like this:

ACTOR BurningBarrelNUS : BurningBarrel replaces BurningBarrel
{
  Radius 16
  Height 32
  Scale .5
  ProjectilePassHeight -16
  +SOLID
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    FCAN ABC 4 Bright
    Loop
  }
}

EDIT:

A pic:

Screenshot_Doom_20181224_001208.jpg.c31090980b36cf46c27e33694c532d32.jpg

Oh, and I forgot:

the standard barrels have translucent pixels line by sides:

Screenshot_Doom_20181224_001512.jpg

Thanx for the help !
I don't understand the problem, what to do with standard barrels?

17 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Screenshot_Doom_20190101_223008.png.d22462d84891496ff3d35f74e113d5c0.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190101_221844.png.1cd1918c02c11038981ce3a296abfb98.png

Hires grass textures have a little banding issue and I encountered this bizarre white outline on the grate texture.

Edit: And maybe this is just a personal preference... but I don't like the idea of upscaling the Wolf Sprites/Textures... I think the charm of that level is the low fidelity Wolfenstein throwback.

Fixing these right now, thank you

On 1/1/2019 at 2:24 PM, grandgreed said:

. All sprites have black outlines, it needs to cut.

This is why I've used a plugin (flaming pear's solidify (I use the A variant) to spread border pixels colors in the "empty areas", and why I process the masks and the colors separately.

I've created a personal build of neural upscale that incorporates the fonts/mdoom logos/title pics from the JDoom pack that fits really well (except the terrible intermap pics and ending screen for Doom1 and awful skull icon for the menu). The textures and sprites in the neural upscales look really good but the fonts and full screen images are just 'meh'. Using specifically designed fonts for hires look really sharp.

Edit: Perfect! I also completely forgot about Fraggle's vanilla smooth weapons mod which works really well since Smoothdoom itself has gone a little overboard (imo) and the only change I wanted to enact was more frames for weapon animations.

Edited by Scuba Steve

17 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

the only change I wanted to enact was more frames for weapon animations

Man, I'm just working on such mod - "Faithful Doom") I took as a fork "Beautiful Doom" & "Smooth Doom" as a base. But since they are using new sprites, you either need to make each new sprite again specifically for each mod. Both mods use Per Kristian's weapon sprites as a base for smooth weapon animations. Per Kristian used original doom sprites as a base, but renamed all sprites PK*. So I decided to make my own mod based on best from them, keeping original vanilla doom sprites & their names with no change + adding new interframe sprites which are closest to original.

How to launch: use NeuraUpscale2X mod + FDoom01b_hdi.pk3(HD interframes are included)

Faithful Doom:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pXHnp7MM64vCy890Ib3NSEj3RbgXAWsu

Weapon animations should be smooth)

Mod is still WIP, so few offset are loose here and there, not all weapons have interframes. Tell me what you think)

Later I'll probably move mod to github & moddb.

Edited by Rev3n4nt

Create a new thread for your mod and I'll comment with my thoughts... and move the danimals image into that thread, too.

Ok, I created a new thread for my mod:

& smoothie pic above should be deleted by mods, I can only edit post.

2 hours ago, TR2N said:

Any updates on a new version of the upscale? @hidfan

I'm halfway cleaning the Spidermastermind masks (sprites are big :( ), I've fixed some of the issues mentionned previously and integrated @Teder's code fix.
Also, I have less time for this right now, so I'm a bit slower, something like 2 or 3 sprites a week.

Man, even one sprite per week is superb! Keep it up and don‘t hesitate to ask for help. I think everyone in this thread wants this to look as awesome as possible. 

I've started messing with Gigapixel upscales of Duke Nukem 3D, and this thread has been a goldmine of information! I'm going to figure out a workflow that suits me and get to work. I'm curious though: What's the best way to tile the textures to do batch upscales, and how do you separate them again, into separate pics? Is it just manually cutting it and realigning?

I'm a fan of automated processes :P

edit: Some first tests:

https://i.redd.it/su35qwp57yd21.png

https://i.imgur.com/tXJMKWt.png

https://i.imgur.com/EHHZqGc.png

gigapixel not being limited to 2 simultaneous files like nvidia, I think it's possible to batch the textures without packing them.
however I'm not sure it will handle the tiling very well.

You can maybe automate enlarging each texture and securising the tiling:

=>original texture
[.]

=>make it tile 3x
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][.][ ]
[ ][ ][ ]

=>upscale

=>crop the center
{}{}{}
{}[.]{}
{}{}{}

note : to gain processing time with smaller images
you can make it tile 2x

[.][ ]
[ ][ ]
with a 0.5x 0.5y offset
  --- 
 ][.][
  ---

if you want to pack as I did, automation will be difficult.
-you still have to do the same "make it tile " security process inside the pack
-you need to save somehow the selection of the centered texture
-after process, you need to crop each texture and rename it accordingly.
-this could be scripted in photoshop.

I like the texture tiling idea! I might try that.

I'm going to see what Gigapixel does with transparency. I know it works with transparent textures, but I don't know if it'll bleed out over the edges or not.

Would it be okay to submit this to the beautiful Doom repository with you credited? It would be a good addition. I'm also wondering how one would go about using this technique on the smoothly animated sprites used in beautiful Doom, to make them look better.