Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megalyth

The Superbowl

I feel weird being the one to make the thread because I don't really care either way, but yeah...

Is anyone watching the game? 

If it involves the Pats winning (which automatically makes it a snoozefest), no.

It's what we Yanks call it... Of course, if you want to call it handegg, be my guest.

Meanwhile, the correct term for ice hockey is ice burger. THIS is what hockey is supposed to be like.

38 minutes ago, arobase said:

Why would anyone want to do that?

I was invited to a party with good food and family. Usually it's the talk of the town, but nobody had mentioned it. I don't go out of my way to watch sports but I won't turn down an invite.

What I don't understand are people who claim to only watch the Super Bowl for the commercials. Pro sports is bad enough, but watching a mass-marketed corporate event just so you can be advertised to, especially if you don't even like football, has gotta be one of the most dystopian concepts I ever heard. Only in America.

And people wonder why I'm anti-capitalist.

screenshot-jerkcity.com 2017-02-01 19-04-25.png

I've watched a little more than half. Eagles are probably my third least favorite team. Oh, well.

HA! How'd you like them apples now, Mr. Freeze?

Now I can sleep well tonight...

NP: Boston -- More Than a Feeling

18 minutes ago, arobase said:

Doomworld really needs a laugh react.

You keep saying that. I do not think you know what it means.

Get over yourself.

Thank God the Eagles won. Those last couple of seconds had me biting my nails but damn what a nice save the Eagles did there.

18 minutes ago, Megalyth said:

You keep saying that. I do not think you know what it means.

Get over yourself.

Holy shit, hahahaha. What, then, does it mean?

Anyway I'm glad to hear Tom Brady is crying. Maybe he'll die.

I'm just spouting meaningless memes back at you.

I only bother with football once in a great while because I watched games with my dad, even though I didn't care or understand the rules beyond "try to get a touchdown". I valued my time with family.

Anyone with half a brain knows how commercialized all of that shit is, so the "r/im14andthisisdeep" diatribe isn't accomplishing a damn thing. I just wanted to talk about a fucking game, like, I don't know, the way we talk about Doom all the time.

I really like sports, though I rarely ever find the time to watch them over doing other things. I apologize if I came across as a bit salty here, earlier this evening. Maybe I was just behaving a bit amaroidal because try as I might, I could never really get into watching football for some reason. That and I've grown accustomed to thinking of soccer as football (go Toronto FC). 

Anyways, I hope all of you that did watch the Super Bowl had a fun time.

1 hour ago, arobase said:

What I don't understand are people who claim to only watch the Super Bowl for the commercials. Pro sports is bad enough, but watching a mass-marketed corporate event just so you can be advertised to, especially if you don't even like football, has gotta be one of the most dystopian concepts I ever heard. Only in America.

And people wonder why I'm anti-capitalist.

Honestly I don't care most days for any sports; I have better things to do than sit around and watch other people make tons of money while I struggle day-to-day. That said, don't take this as somebody who lives the other side; I care likely as little, if not less than you do, as I don't even care enough to be angry or frustrated at hearing others talk about it.

Let's not forget that for several years, enough to make it a trend, super bowls had entertaining commercials, whether funny, moving, or packed with celebrities. Combine that with a desire to be able to take part in the water fountain "did you see this interesting, brand-new thing on tv last night?" discussions and it's no surprise whatsoever that enough people took up the habit for it to become mainstream to yes, watch the super bowl just for the commercials. Social compliance, or following a certain behavioral pattern one was never told to do, even if only for the purpose of not sticking out, is part of human nature that goes back evolutionarily to a basic survival instinct; it's not too far unlike when everybody starts running, we run too even if we don't know why we're running. Also, variable-ratio positive reinforcement systems tend to hook us the best, as slot machines so are super bowl commercials; one big win or funny commercial and the average person will want to return later to see if they get more positive reinforcement out of the same action.

Mystery solved! Who knew the culprit was basic human nature all along.

On the off chance you've realized all of this already, perhaps the concept isn't what's dystopian but your perception of it.

1 minute ago, arobase said:

Yeah, it's really sad how mad Megalyth is over nothing.

I was referring to you. -_-

Let's not forget that what is in my opinion, one of the greatest commercials of all time aired during the Super Bowl.

19 minutes ago, arobase said:

Yeah, it's really sad how mad Megalyth is over nothing.

1bCYAKy.png

Doomworld really needs a laugh react.