Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Any wads that make you feel sick/about to have a seizure?

Kala mapset due flickering or synchronised lights everywhere. I don't remember which type it was, but it can cause headaches and other negative things if it played in the dark or not properly lighted room.

I've never heard of a problem with the scrolling face texture, but I could imagine there might be a problem if you were in a room that was entirely scrolling textures like that. Particularly if different walls were scrolling in different directions or at different speeds (I think that's possible with some of the more advanced source ports). That being said, I can't off-hand think of a map that does that.

Hopefully, someone doesn't accept this thread as some kind of challenge.

I managed to mix a lot of mods together one time, including DOOD, wobbly shaders, run for it, a bounce mod and a mod that makes the screen rotate.

There's this level I made for DUMP 3 a while back that can probably cause motion sickness in some people:

17 minutes ago, Beed28 said:

There's this level I made for DUMP 3 a while back that can probably cause motion sickness in some people:

What mods you used for the video?

Excepting some intentionally seizure-inducing type stuff, the only time I have ever felt sick after playing a Doom mod is with an experimental thing I've been working on for GZD:

I've literally felt dizzy and sick after extensive playtesting of it in the past, since the game has no drag on rotation or motion, so you continue turning or moving in a given direction until you do a counter-motion to stop yourself. I added brakes recently, which improves things dramatically.

6 minutes ago, MattGuy1990 said:

What mods you used for the video?

That's not my video; it's someone else who's done a playthrough of DUMP 3 and uploaded it to YouTube.

lilth.pk3 and Kala easily. 

Kala is a surprisingly competent map-set given its presentation. It seems to be, dare I type it, a good Joke/Troll/Terry wad.

lilith.pk3 is endlessly fascinating with both visuals and concepts. Every level had a purpose and is quite enjoyable as a whole. I would love to see the concepts built upon, provided they aren't presented in such a visually oppressive manner (although that kinda lent lilith.pk3 some "charm").

With the mention of Terry wads, I remember watching some of Aquarius199's playthroughs of bad wads, and there were at least a few Terry wads that contained rooms with rapid flashing lights, rapid movement on the screen, etc. Perhaps that's not what you're looking for, since such wads are meant to be obnoxious, but I could see one of them making someone sick or possibly provoke a seizure.

Oh, certainly. There are some wads I will never be able to enjoy as they make me feel ill within moments. The first two that come to mind are 8bitCTF and Megaman 8bit DM.

The constant flashing and extremely bright graphics are beyond what I can physically handle. No trouble with stuff like ancient aliens or actual 8bit games on NES and such. The sheer brightness and rapid flashing is what makes it unplayable for me which is a shame, but this is pretty rarely an issue in most media. I've encountered a few wads where this applies but these are the only ones I can think of at the moment.