Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Largest/most complex vanilla pwad map?

41 minutes ago, invictius said:

Is there a difference?

Vanilla limits tends to refer to the source port (does it visplane overflow, for example?)

Vanilla format refers to the format of the map (is it vanilla, Hexen or UDMF).

Maybe «Ogdoad» from Epic2 (map 28) and also Excalibur from Eternal Doom (map 30)

1 hour ago, Roofi said:

Excalibur from Eternal Doom (map 30)

+9000.

I hate that map. The complexest vanilla doom map ever.

^ This; I never got to beat this SOB. They don't call it Eternal Doom for nothing!

Edited by HavoX

One of the reasons I made ZokumBSP was to enable the construction of bigger vanilla-compatible maps. It should be possible to make even more complex maps than previously possible. AV map20 is a good example of a near-limit-map that with better tools is much more comfortably below the limits. The BTSX guys are aware of my fork of ZenNode, and they might have to use it on some maps.

I am working on some other tweaks to the code, but it's currently not working like I hoped it would. Once I get it to work, building even bigger maps could be possible due to better optimizations of the node tree. We're nowhere near the theoretical limit for vanilla-compatible maps, there's been far too little research done in this field.

Honestly , a tutorial is needed for every level of Eternal Doom , or almost.

Dunno if it qualifies as the largest (Misri Halek may still beat it), but Mechadon's "Unstable Journey" (BTSX E2MAP25) is pretty up there.

I'd also normally mention NEIS E4M6 ("Sanctuary of Filth"), but we eventually said "sod it" regarding vanilla-compatibility, so it loses on a technicality. :P

17 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Dunno if it qualifies as the largest (Misri Halek may still beat it), but Mechadon's "Unstable Journey" (BTSX E2MAP25) is pretty up there.

I'd also normally mention NEIS E4M6 ("Sanctuary of Filth"), but we eventually said "sod it" regarding vanilla-compatibility, so it loses on a technicality. :P

I think NEIS E3M7 is a potentially longer play and it is within vanilla limits, except for save buffer.

3 hours ago, Gaia74 said:

Foursite XD

Hah!  I'm flattered, but Foursite definitely isn't vanilla.  It uses extended nodes and sidedef compression to keep it in the vanilla format, and requires a strong limit-removing source port to work.  

If you tried to run it in Chocolate Doom, I think it crashes pretty much instantly.

2 hours ago, EmotionalFelineinaMadstate said:

How about The Given?

The Given isnt vanilla :P

I remember everyone always talks about Odyssey of Noises from Plutonia and how it pushes the limits of vanilla. Not sure how true that is though.

Map25 of BTSX-E2 by Mechadon. In fact, it's so big that I just don't like it too much, which is a shame, since I generally love Mechadon's maps. I can only imagine what a good UV-Max on this map would be once the full version of BTSX-E2 comes out (I personally predict 25 minutes, maybe?).

Misri Halek is also a perfect example of complexity and scale (in size, that is), and also happens to be one of my favourite Doom maps ever.

hz3JLws.jpg

All these three maps are at the edge of vanilla's blockmap size limit, so they cannot grow anymore without zokumbsp's optimizations. As you can see, there's a considerable difference between complexity and sheer size.

There's an article about av map 01, 03 and 20 on my ZokumBSP project site: http://doom2.net/zokum/zokumbsp/case-av

TLDR for av map20: *MAP20 : BLOCKMAP - 51408/65114 (78.95%) Compressed: 84.85%288.083 secs

Two things should be noted. This is done with an older version than what is on GitHub, so the output is harder to read and I am aware of techniques that can make this go even further down, but these have a few drawbacks. :)

I remember seeing shots of someone sometime in the last few years who was working on an absolutely massive map before. I think it looked a bit like a 1024 map since it fit within square/rectangular boundaries, but was absolutely huge. does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I was working on such a map in late 2012/early 2013 but never could gather the steam to finish it. It was probably too ambitious to take on, but I was inspired by The Artifact with its approach to making a gigantic vanilla map split over three maps. I was intending to make it longer than three maps but three maps in was about as far as I got. Here is what it looks like with the three maps put together:

w3X3ekO.png

Even after coming back to Doom I still have a hard time thinking about coming back to this project.

@Tango I think leodoom85 made a map similar to your description; I might be mistaken though - I don't think it was within the 1024 grid but it was a good-sized techbase set in a humongous cavern.

Some Urania maps can enter into this category, more or less. Not just a tooting in own horn, but based on other people reviews.
Also no save buffer errors. But these maps is not friendly for pistol-starters.

MAP06.PNG

MAP04.PNG

MAP19.PNG

MAP28.PNG

MAP13.PNG

MAP21.PNG

MAP05.PNG